Another simple question: dialog node limit?

Thralni

Hello Thralni,

I've just had a quick check, and apparently the maximum number of dialogue nodes is 200 per script. There's a comment about it in the editor documentation, although it's hidden away amongst other details. Here's a line from the section 'How a Dialogue Node Is Structured':

"Each dialogue script can have up to 200 nodes, numbered 0 to 199."

This was something I was interested in many years ago when I was tentatively designing a small scenario. This scenario involved one town with several slightly different copies of all of the town's characters, resulting in a very large number of dialogue nodes (probably pushing 200). However, I didn't get far enough to write the full dialogue, so I haven't actually tested this limit myself yet.

1 hour ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Hello Thralni,

I've just had a quick check, and apparently the maximum number of dialogue nodes is 200 per script. There's a comment about it in the editor documentation, although it's hidden away amongst other details. Here's a line from the section 'How a Dialogue Node Is Structured':

"Each dialogue script can have up to 200 nodes, numbered 0 to 199."

This was something I was interested in many years ago when I was tentatively designing a small scenario. This scenario involved one town with several slightly different copies of all of the town's characters, resulting in a very large number of dialogue nodes (probably pushing 200). However, I didn't get far enough to write the full dialogue, so I haven't actually tested this limit myself yet.

Man I read over that chapter at least ten time and I still missed it. Thanks for pointing it out! I have this one town where I'm at dialog node 186, so I'm starting to push it. There also a traveling companion that reserves nodes 190-199... Oh well. I'll make it work.

Thanks for reminders too, Dinti!

40 minutes ago, freezing hands and bloodless veins said:

If you have any states that call other town states, it might be worth having them call scenario states instead. Might be able to squeeze a few more out that way.

Hm, I hadn't considered that. I'll see if I can use it to my advantage somewhere, somehow. Though I think it should be fine. I realized I left open a bunch of nodes along the script, just in case I need to go back to another character and add something. I could always use those (though having to renumber all the nodes will be a tremendous pain)