• Announcements

• How to eat sound

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 

wasbear   

Has Jeff said anything about when the Avernum 3 remake might be released? Any chance it'll come out before the end of this year? 

He hasn't started beta testing so no date.  However in the past he's started beta testing in July/August for release in late November.  He used to like catching customers before they had spent their money on end of the year shopping. :)

Retro   

While he hasn't mentioned anything date wise, he just confirmed to me in an email yesterday that it was coming out early 2018.

Here's part of the mail chain where he confirms it. It looks a little weird with the recipient because I sent an original email to the support email, which was then forwarded to Jeff's email, and he replied to it, and bcc'ed me (it looks like),

http://i.imgur.com/KfTbsv9.png

Specifically, that confirms the iPad release is early 2018.  In the past desktop releases have come out at least a few months before iPad releases, though it's always possible that can change (especially given that SW's attitude towards iPad development has been fluctuating).

Retro   

Ah ok. I hope he releases them all on iPad. I don't know, it's all a bit too tiny for me on  normal 1080p monitors, but the 13 inch screen is just fitting. The text is no longer tiny, and I don't need glasses to spot things on the ground. I vastly prefer the iPad releases for that reason. Well that and it's just nice to have a game that's as engaging as these types of games on an iPad.

Hey Guys - I am a little confused.

I see Avernum 6 on the AppStore and also Avernum 1 and 2.

So it seems 6 is part of another trilogy?

Would it run any story / plot line elements to play 1,2 and 6 and then Avernum 3 when it is release for iPAD?

Or would it be better to wait for Avernum 3 after finishing 1 and 2?

Kelandon   

By way of background: There are two Avernum trilogies: the First Avernum Trilogy and the Second Avernum Trilogy. Unsurprisingly, the former is Avernums 1-3, and the latter is Avernums 4-6. The First Avernum Trilogy has gone through a series of remakes. It was originally Exile 1, 2, and 3. Then it was remade into Avernum 1, 2, and 3. (After this, the Second Avernum Trilogy was released.) Now, there is a new series of remakes: Avernum: Escape From the Pit, Avernum 2: Crystal Souls, and the upcoming Avernum 3 remake. 

As far as what spoils what, there is a central mystery in Avernum 3 that later Avernum games may mention the answer to, so that's a possible spoiler. Avernum 4 definitely gives away what happens in Avernum 3; I don't remember if later games do. (I don't think Avernum 6 does, but I couldn't promise that.)

In general, I'd recommend playing in order (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) if possible, but if you're playing on iPad, Avernum 4 and Avernum 5 are not going to be on iPad any time soon. Playing 6 without 4 and 5 is possible; a few things won't make perfect sense, but most things will.

So, bottom line, you'd be okay playing in the order 1, 2, 6, 3, although if you can stand to wait after finishing Avernum 1 and 2 and if you can stand to play on a computer for Avernum 4 and 5, I'd recommend 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Great - thanks for the clarification Kelandon.

I am playing Avadon at the same time on the iPAD (no PC gaming for me) but with the amount of content and apparent re-playability in both series, I think I'll have no problem waiting for Avernum 3.

Best regards

skcolb   
4 hours ago, wasbear said:

Well, it looks like the Avernum 3 remake will come out on January 31, 2018 - at least on PC. I hope Jeff will remake the Geneforge games - especially the first two, after this. They could definitely use a more modern UI and improved graphics palette.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/691830/Avernum_3_Ruined_World/

Hooray, it's happening! The graphics in the intro to that video brought me back ... I remember very similar visuals in Exile III.

Cruiser   
On 9/13/2017 at 0:24 AM, wasbear said:

Well, it looks like the Avernum 3 remake will come out on January 31, 2018 - at least on PC. I hope Jeff will remake the Geneforge games - especially the first two, after this. They could definitely use a more modern UI and improved graphics palette.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/691830/Avernum_3_Ruined_World/

Well it's about time! Can't wait. Gives me an excuse to play Avernum 1 and 2 again

Kennedy   

From the video it looks like the mage is getting 3 new spells added. Guessing the priest will also have 3  new spells?

Rugila   

Yay! It's happening! None too soon either! Been through Avernum I and II and enjoyed the living crap out of them.