Kelandon

Homeland progress report

Kelandon   

And finally, at the end of Chapter 2, I finally get to write something that I've been foreshadowing since the end of the Prologue!

Spoiler

The capital of the Empire of Khalthas is the city of Leksandria, pictured here. It's a heavily fortified island-city between northern and southern halves of Khitaloss Province. In some ways, this is what you've been trying to reach since the beginning of Bahssikava. (At least, this is what the Goddess says when you are about to enter.)

And, as I've been suggesting, this is where things go catastrophically wrong. There are problems up to this point, but it seems like you're on the path to make things better. In Leksandria, it starts to become clear, if it wasn't before, that things aren't getting better. Either what you're doing isn't enough, or what you're doing is actively making things worse. It's not clear which, at least until the end of Chapter 3.

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 10.31.12 PM.png

I'm loving the name of the capital. Does the city by any chance have a grand library, one of the oldest and most extensive in Khitaloss? :) In any case, it's nice to see references to the famous sliths that are mentioned in Exodus.

It's a great screenshot, too. The city looks suitably imposing with all the fortifications and many, many layers of walled defences. This is exactly what I would expect from an old and illustrious centre of power. It looks grand. Although all is perhaps not well at the southern gates, from the looks of things ...

Keep up the good work!

Kelandon   
On 10/6/2017 at 2:46 PM, Ess-Eschas said:

Although all is perhaps not well at the southern gates, from the looks of things ...

Yeah, not at all.

7 hours ago, Celtic Minstrel said:

Whoa cliffs overdose. O_O

Um, yeah, that's Homeland for you. Like I said, I may have gone a little overboard with heights.

Kelandon   

Chapter 2 isn't really completely finished yet — still lots of combats to design, and a couple of towns need a lot of dialogue still — but I went ahead to start on town design and core dialogue for Chapter 3. Man, designing Chapter 3 is a trip. I can't really explain why without giving away a significant twist at the end of Chapter 2, but it's... different.

I'm 46 towns in, and right now I'm pretty sure that the scenario will end up around 90 towns. Because many of the towns are at least partly incomplete, though, I'd say I'm about 30% done with the overall design work, maybe a bit more. Still a long way to go.

Mr.TiC   

Although I can't imagine the amount of work being asked of you, I'm thrilled to see you've decided to continue and finish the trilogy. This is an actual picture of myself seconds after posting this:

Spoiler

bd39e07dc634decc2cf330aedf269162--fallou

Lindwyrm   

It‘s really amazing to see the fan base creating such awesome content. Especially when considering the age of BoA. 

I‘m not ready to play fan made scenarios yet, but I‘m really looking forward to it!

However, I would still have a question.. you mentioned what will happen to the party (of the first two scenarios of your series) so will all the progress achieved with it be deleted?

And another general question.. if I‘m playing scenarios and gain experience and items, will I be able to use them in the official game also?

Edited by Lindwyrm
Typo

Lilith   
7 hours ago, Lintwyrm said:

It‘s really amazing to see the fan base creating such awesome content. Especially when considering the age of BoA. 

I‘m not ready to play fan made scenarios yet, but I‘m really looking forward to it!

However, I would still have a question.. you mentioned what will happen to the party (of the first two scenarios of your series) so will all the process achieved with it be deleted?

And another general question.. if I‘m playing scenarios and gain experience and items, will I be able to use them in the official game also?

From a gameplay perspective BoA doesn't really have a strong distinction between the "official game" and everything else. The Spiderweb-made scenarios work exactly the same way as third-party ones, and you can move from one to another freely.

Kelandon   
8 hours ago, Lintwyrm said:

However, I would still have a question.. you mentioned what will happen to the party (of the first two scenarios of your series) so will all the process achieved with it be deleted?

As Lilith suggested, the scenarios all function independently, so these questions don't really have answers. You're supposed to use a new party with Homeland, so your party won't have completed Bahs/Exodus, and there's not really any progress to lose. You can technically use any party to enter any scenario, so if you wanted, you could use a party that has completed Homeland to enter, say, Diplomacy With the Dead (a pre-packaged scenario), and you would keep your experience and items from Homeland.

Kelandon   

Mixed work on Chapters 1-3 over the past few weeks. Chapter 1 is basically done, save part of one side quest, a little dialogue, and some testing. I'm filling in some side quests in Chapter 2 as I create the main quest line in Chapter 3, which makes progress sort of slow. (Also, work has picked up, which also makes progress a bit slow.) But it's coming along. 

Chapter 3 has three major quests with several subparts, and the first major quest is about halfway designed. The high-level conceptual work is largely done; now it's just a lot of implementation of the plan that I now have in my head. The second major quest is still a bit of a blank. I have a general sense of what's supposed to happen, but I have to figure out how exactly to get from Point A to Point B. Once I get to that point, I'm going to have to stop and think things through again — how exactly will this piece work out? But once that's done, the third major quest is going to be fun. This is one of the key moments in the scenario, one of the moments that I've been building to since... gosh, since Bahssikava.

Spoiler

Vahnatai!

Zaego   

Damn. Not only are we getting Avernum III remake, but a conclusion to the Exodus trilogy, too. Hmm. I'm tempted to start a new party fresh from the Valley of the Dying Things to boost them up to the required level and play through both the Exodus and Bahssikava, probably just in time for Homeland to be ready. It sure is a good day to be a Spiderwebsoftware fan! :)

Kelandon   
6 hours ago, Zaego said:

I'm tempted to start a new party fresh from the Valley of the Dying Things to boost them up to the required level and play through both the Exodus and Bahssikava, probably just in time for Homeland to be ready.

Glad you're excited! But unless it's going to take you over a year to finish that process, Homeland probably won't be ready by then. I'm still only about a third of the way done.

Zaego   
9 hours ago, Kelandon said:

Glad you're excited! But unless it's going to take you over a year to finish that process, Homeland probably won't be ready by then. I'm still only about a third of the way done.

It'll take me more than a year because I'll stop and start playing again multiple times. Also, writing has taken up a brunt of my spare time, even as unemployed, since I'm proofreading the chapters myself. Also it helps that I still haven't finished A:EftP and A2:CS Torment Runs. :p

7 hours ago, Ishad Nha said:

High Level Party Maker is a scenario that will do the levelling-up for you, all in one go...

As for HLPM, I've used it before, but I've found that playing through the chapters, you can hoard items more easily than what you could by going to HLPM-store, like healing elixirs, and mundane quest rewards that might not be listed in a scenario such as the one where you had all the artifact-tier gear and equipment from most scenarios (created and uploaded by Terror's Martyr, if memory serves). And also, I haven't played BoA in a really long time. I've been having a fever to return there anyway. :) 

On 30/11/2017 at 8:20 AM, Zaego said:

such as the one where you had all the artifact-tier gear and equipment from most scenarios (created and uploaded by Terror's Martyr, if memory serves).

That reminds me, I updated that once but no idea if I still have it.