Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Chessrook44

Well, hope you can get through this last fight! The sword *only* disappears once you kill Daynlae, so you can get rid of the other bosses with the sword. Hope you enjoyed, although seems you got frustrated with some of the battles. If you're interested in playing again later, I did compile some detailed hint guides, but figuring things out on your own might be just as much fun. 

At least you didn't have to fight Chaerephon as well... :)

I have a new version of OG&E coming, as long as I can find somewhere to upload it. Fixes a few bugs, and updates contact information.

That weird room you couldn't get into at the inn was supposed to be an elevator, so you're not missing anything there. (I have no idea why the door turned to water.) The dice game actually works and can get you some money if you're lucky. There was supposed to be a poker game too but I never finished it.

There sure is a lot of stuff that could use improvement here, though... like pretty much all the dialogue...

4 hours ago, Celtic Minstrel said:

Ehehe, maybe there's a bit too much loot there...

But the radiant sling is cool, isn't it?

Did you notice that those areas of stone wall you couldn't get into (or at least some of them) were actually the basements of various shops?

I did not.  Nice touch.

The island is somewhat small, but at least that means there aren't many places for the Stone to hide.

https://youtu.be/Vsqg8qTx2cg

6 hours ago, Celtic Minstrel said:

Not gonna try the Ring of Enclosing, huh? (I can't remember whether it's something good, mind you.) Or that crystal skull?

I remember what the Crystal Skull did in the Indiana Jones movie, I expect it would lower one of my stats, and I don't want that.  Plus no idea if the item is a one-shot kinda thing.

Seriously, who thought making creatures like these was a good idea?  Why would you DO this?!

https://youtu.be/7UbHluiRV2w

I mean, you can always save first, try it, and reload if you don't like the results.

"Unusual ability" just means the item calls some code in the scenario. I can't remember if it can actually use charges, but from looking at the Ring of Enclosing in your LP I think it probably doesn't use charges?

And I definitely recall seeing something that was a "once per day" item in your videos, maybe it was the crystal skull?

11 hours ago, Celtic Minstrel said:

So uhh, I think you gave Bonnie a worse weapon there. The chanceblade uses luck as the key skill, and she only has 1 level in luck, compared to 3 or something in melee weapons.

Well she doesn't really smack things in melee anyway.

We have the Stone's location, and now it's time to finally retrieve it and put an end to the mob.  TO VICTORY!!!

https://youtu.be/yObS1SEim4s

Don't worry, just from watching it even I can tell it's not the best scenario - it could use a lot of polish (like getting all the doors to remember that they've been unlocked), some better dialogue (and quite a bit more, it's never fun to talk to someone and just get "They don't respond" back), and probably even some balancing. (I'm not sure whether your party's level corresponded to the "recommended" level, but it was clear that some enemies were way below you while others were overly tough.)

I wrote it in a fairly short period of time for a contest, and haven't really revisited it since, so it kinda shows.

By the way, the nephil boss's name is a reference to another game... I wonder if anyone got that...

Oh also, I think you might've missed one little thing? I'm pretty sure I saw a stone circle that you just walked past without investigating? It wouldn't've been anything really important, of course. Just some kinda of little bonus or something. (I don't mean the one on the little island - I'm pretty sure I saw another stone circle besides that.)

18 hours ago, Celtic Minstrel said:

Kelandon, I think you missed editing the scenario title into the post just before my previous one?

Yep. Note that I'm not actually watching these videos, just editing the posts because so many people requested that they be labeled and Chessrook44 ignored those requests. So this is probably not the only time I've missed that there was a new scenario involved.