Chessrook44

Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Smoo   

Welp, I'm not exactly sure when the bad ending for the diplomacy route is triggered. But if you're already there at the end of this episode, you kind of have nobody to blame but you. Let's explore a bit before going back to Passton indeed. 

Incidentally, the BoA community was pretty much dead when Quarhag Pass was released, so I never got that much feedback for it. But one of the recurring comments was that it was unclear how to get the best ending if you choose diplomacy. I'm not sure if I ever spelled it out, so hear goes. Passton has no gate. Passton has only about a dozen, ill-equipped defenders with poor morale. The ogres swarm into Passton after diplomacy fails. You are supposed to go back to Passton immediately after you crawl out of the tunnels Angerfist drops you into.

Also, after you completed Outpost Valley you commented how it was clearly shorter than Rats Aplenty. Well, I did say RA was one of my shorter ones, not the shortest. Although now that I think about it, in terms of play time, RA is actually right in the middle out of my scenarios.

Another also, I probably didn't account for the player killing Angerfist before releasing Chainhound from captivity. I hope Graybeard doesn't mention Chainhound if you haven't met the latter. This almost makes me want to come out of retirement to tweak my scenarios a bit, maybe fix some of the bugs and typos you've uncovered. Almost.

Edited by Smoo

Smoo   

Your reaction to finding Passton destroyed is pretty much the intended player reaction I was hoping to get if they choose to rush to the ogre village. So, yay! Designer fulfillment comes many years after the release of the scenario!

In case it isn't obvious already, I like branching paths and alternative methods of getting things done in my rpgs. This is why in Rats Aplenty you can also talk Attorosi down and there are, if I remember correctly, four or five different ways you can do the loot the manor quest. In Outpost Valley the are actually three different ways to escape from the prison and you can take the captain with you if you like getting stabbed in the back. Quarhag Pass has four different endings and, unfortunately, you are/were on the worst path. This path (barring bugs) won't even let you know the Witch's backstory.

Smoo   

Ah, Backwater Calls. I think I called it terrible earlier and while I certainly don't care much for it, the scenario did have its fans.

The thing is that out of all my stuff, BC somehow manages to be worse than I remembered every time I play it. I replayed it a few months ago and was shocked at how poorly I'd connected the various plot threads together and how many of the characters were a lot weaker than I recalled.

In my defense, I was seventeen when I made BC and was only trying to learn how the scenario editor and scripting worked when I was making it. I made Magus of Cattalon for the same level range precisely because it was supposed to replace BC and make it obsolete.

Smoo   

Bearworth teaching you Magery, is a bit buggy still, it would seem, but Draco probably got a level of Magery despite all the dialog options showing there.

Regarding Kenny, the heavily armored soldier guarding the mayor's office. He is supposed to be the same character from A Small Rebellion. Yes, the one that got killed. But since he was obviously a South Park reference, I thought it would be funny to make the reference even more obvious, while also referencing the fact that he showed up in ASR. That is, if you had managed to talk to him before he was killed you would have seen the reference.

Incidentally, many of the dumb jokes I could not fit in Backwater Calls or Magus of Cattalon were eventually put in Rats Aplenty.