Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Chessrook44

I really hope that you get to explore TV both during the day, and at night. I'm not sure, but I think it was the first scenario to have different conversation and NPCs about depending on the time of day. I spent a lot of time writing dialogue and descriptions for that.

One thing puzzled me. You survived the first chest, and got the shield ring. Why didn't you just heal, and trigger the second trapped chest? Odd.

Finally, I don't know if you've been reading the included read-me text files that literally every scenario has. I would recommend not doing that for TV until you've finished. The scenario is based on a piece of original writing (which is also included if you wanted to read that), and it'll have spoilers. 

(Oh. Also, I am keeping a note of the errors, and will get around to fixing the typos in Kurt and Preston's dialogue.)

Hey, in Twilight Valley, you missed Pandora's coffin, even though you were specifically told she had a coffin to the north. Plus, you played A Perfect Forest, and you've played my other scenarios, so you know to look at everything that is out of the ordinary... There was more there that you didn't explore, but I guess that's okay. At the very least, I would recommend reading the Read Me file for TV...

I really liked your playing of KH, more than anything else you've played. I would like to hear your thoughts on that more. Your reaction was basically what I was hoping what would happen. At the very least, I know that TM dug it, and that you were weirded out by it, so I would consider it my best work. 

Also. Yay. Atmosphere and interesting writing is what I always tried to bring to BoA. I'm happy that you picked up on that. :)

Quadruple post?! OKAY!

The way El Presidente worked was addressed in the READ ME. (Really, I would recommend you READ THEM.) 

Here is the relevant bit from EP if you missed it (written by me):

This scenario (or rather, snippet of scenario) is (I think) the smallest functional thing made for BoA. So why did I 
do it? Well, ages ago now, I thought it'd be cool to write something using a song as a basis for plot. It turns out
that songs do not make good scenarios, and so I had to add loads of extra stuff. 

EP was always just going to be a short scenario. I had a bunch of ideas I wanted to test, and I loved the disposability
of 15-minute scenarios at the time I started making it. It was always going to be like a coin - there are two sides 
to it, but only one story, and I love that idea even now. Still, the amount of work that went into it was crazy and
I'd have to consider seriously whether I'd do it again. Especially for something bigger.

SO. I talked to a few people about this, and Thralni expressed an interest and we got talking about possible plots, and
thus the dual-developer thing. I designed the town, and suggested we use the lyric as the basis for the scenario. 
Thralni added an ending to my ideas, and gave advice throughout. Up until this point, EP was mostly my work. 

Then, my computer died, and I zipped up what I had done (about a 60-70% complete alpha) and sent it off to Thralni. He,
despite being uber-busy, finished it, and sent it back when I was back computing (about two months later). We now had a
finished article. I sent it off to beta, got reports and fixed some things. But by now I was sick of this thing. I let
it languish, despite some of the best ideas I'd had being part of it (I still like the doors, btw).

Then, this morning (I'm writing this at 12:40ish, PM, on the 3rd September 2007, journal-esque), I figured this would be a neat way 
of celebrating my 4th year at Spidweb, and so spent a few hours tidying it up. I have to thank Dikiyoba for prodding me
to get this finished, too, because it was they who kept this in my mind.

Anyway, that's it, I think. 

So, that's how the only successful collab in BoA came about - I did a bunch of work, Thralni fixed a bunch of my stuff, and I took a lot of credit for it. :p

Yanno it was strange, I don't think I found the readmes in the files.  That or I forgot to check them.  One of the two.

Regarding Kingdom Hall, the thoughts I stated were pretty much the thoughts I had.  It was an interesting way to do it, if a little bit odd.  Either way, I think I've done all the scenarios you made, so MOVING ON.

A new scenario, and we're off to watch over our sister.  And we do a GREAT job of it.

https://youtu.be/XzDQ8JqQHP4

EDIT: Babysitting, Part 1

Thanks for quoting that readme Nikki! I'd been wondering for a while what my role was in EP, as I could hardly remember having pitched in anything, and having seen the episodes, it struck me how " Nikki-esque" EP is. But the readme clarifies it all :) Though really, it's probably more appropriate to call this a 1.25 developer thing...

...Restless Souls is a scenario I started making when I was 14. It's written with a bizarre prose that avoids second-person pronouns (and has some grammatical errors, as I'm now noticing), and the plot doesn't make sense to me as an adult. Several years ago I cobbled it together into something barely passable, mostly so it wasn't another item in the Pit of Unfinished Scenarios...

Edit: The Dust of Choking is a default item in corescendata2.txt . I went ahead and tested the item, and it in fact causes acid like I'd expect it to. I'm not sure why the tooltip says otherwise.

Edited by Callie

Ah! You've finally gotten around to playing my stuff. Perfect! You see, like most other designers, I too am a raging egomaniac, so I will now play closer attention to this Let's Play. Rat's Aplenty, despite being shorter than some of my other stuff, has probably the most easter eggs, hidden stuff and all around alternative methods of getting thigs done, so I am curious to see how you do things and how much of the content you manage to discover.

I already see that you've missed two of my favorite gags: You did not inspect the altar of the Great Spirit in the undead side of the caves (although maybe you will still in future videos) and you did not try to leave the Belching Patron before you had received your quest (Honestly, as someone you tends to freeroam quite a bit, I am surprised you did not try to leave right away, even by accident.) Then again, you did find the Hidden Grotto (where the fat orange bunny is) accidentally like I thought you might. Some of the bunny's antics can actually be benificial to you and there is a tiny quest-type thing that involves it, in case you never do return there.

Man, I was at the edge of my seat with that Horatio's Guard bit. Just one step. I wanted you to take one step with the armor. 

On the off chance that you are still not done with the scenario, you might want to buy the armor and do what you clearly thought about doing: complain to Branimir that you got ripped off.

Edit: Also I wondered how I handled it if the player cleared out the bandits and undead before getting the quests from the captain. Apparently, the actual dialog for receiving the quests won't show up, but at least you got the rewards.

Edited by Smoo

On 11/21/2017 at 5:22 AM, Smoo said:

Man, I was at the edge of my seat with that Horatio's Guard bit. Just one step. I wanted you to take one step with the armor. 

On the off chance that you are still not done with the scenario, you might want to buy the armor and do what you clearly thought about doing: complain to Branimir that you got ripped off.

Bit too late for that I'm afraid, aheh...

Man, Scurftown isn't even that big, but the people just have so much to say...

https://youtu.be/kjMGHZrNyVM

Also, need to make a note, due to Thanksgiving, me being in Pittsburgh, and the place I'm staying having REALLY bad internet, there will be no updates until Sunday.

6 hours ago, Chessrook44 said:

Bit too late for that I'm afraid, aheh...

Man, Scurftown isn't even that big, but the people just have so much to say...

No big loss. Basically you could have gone on a scavenger hunt to make the armor magical and maybe be worth the money you spent on it.

When I was designing Rats Aplenty, I wanted to see if I could write enough dialogue in one town to reach the maximum allowed amount. Turns out it wasn't that hard. This is why I had to split Scurftown in two with some of the buildings in a different "town" so that I could fit all the dialogue in the scenario.

Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving.

Lo, I have returned from the Thanksgiving of long trips and uncomfortable couch beds and oh god the poor pets why!  And I've got the next episode ready to go!

A lot of searching occurs in this episode.... though one of them is just a wild goose chase.

https://youtu.be/MWy4FKsmnhM

In case you never figured it out, The Rat Essence from Kuno heals its wearer for two hit points for each rat he/she kills. Hence the healing sound whenever Fawkes kills a rat.

Also, Kuno either provides training or gives you the amulet. He won't do both. At least that's how I think I did it.

Yeah. One of the things I didn't account for when designing that curious rat puzzle was that the player would just get up and leave. In fact, in previous versions of the scenario you could solve the puzzle by leaving Lost City and coming back. The bridge would have been restored then. This is just me trying to explain why the puzzle is acting a bit funky.

Edited by Smoo