Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Chessrook44

I've done Let's Plays of Avernum, Geneforge, Avadon, and Nethergate, and now it's finally time for me to do a Let's Play of Blades of Avernum! But I'm not just doing the main four scenarios... I'm also doing all of the player-made scenarios!

I'm not posting the first episode yet, as I posted a vlog today, but the reason I'm posting this here is because said Vlog talks about BoA. And is also me asking for information from YOU people! Specifically, is there anything I need to know about the available scenarios? Any that should be played in an order, for example, or any I can skip due to being more of a utility? Any information you can give would be appreciated!

Oh my, seriously? All player-made scenarios? Even my Melliput Mobsters with its unfinished edges? Mind you, I don't really mind you playing that; the unfinished edges were more of an optional cool thing than anything else.

Anyway, I have no idea which BoA scenario is which off the top of my head, so let me hunt up a list of them and get back to you on that.

EDIT: Well, from perusing the list in the reviews subforum, the only obvious candidate for skipping would be "Nine variations on point B". I assume that list generally omits utility scenarios. The only relationship I can recall between two BoA scenarios is that Kelandon's "Magic" follows somewhat on his "Exodus".

I'll let more knowledgeable people fill you in further.

Hey this is pretty cool. I had seen you doing all the other games, but didn't think you would BoA since it is mostly player made material. I'm curious to hear what you will say.

I had actually been slowly working on something very similar myself, though it was more of a written review series. I've only gotten 8 done so far, and wanted to to finish more before releasing anything. I'm always procrastinated though. Maybe I should just post it as a companion piece to your let's play, and just add stuff when I get around to it.

As far as recommended order, I have to ask whether you have played BoA before? From the way you talk, I don't get the impression you have. If you don't know, every scenario is meant to fit a certain range of levels for your characters. You will need to keep several different saves if you want to play each scenario at its intended level. There are also a good number of scenarios that can be played at any level.

For my own project I decided there were two ways to pick an order. Either following release date order, or following a general level order adding in scenarios that don't need a specific level wherever I felt like it.

I made a list based on level you might find useful.

1-1 - Oops (Dintiradan)

1-3 - The Dead are Revolting (Enraged Slith)

1-3 - A Good Beginning (Nikki)

1-3 - Babysitting (Khoth)

1-4 - Restless Souls (Excalibur)

1-5 - Rats Aplenty (Smoo)

1-5 - Adrift (Ephesos)

1-5 - Witch Hunt (Nioca)

1-5 - Incorruptable (Tridash)

1-5 - Empire's New Grove (Nikki)

1-5 - Gluckcluck (Enraged Slith)

1-5 - Settlers (Terror's Martyr)

1-6 - Roses of Reckoning (Terror's Martyr)

1-7 - Cave of No Return (Eldiran)

1-8 - Beechford (Michael Haensel)

1-10 - Valley of Dying Things (Vogel)

1-10 - A Perfect Forest (Stareye)

1-10 - Aphobia (Terror's Martyr)

1-40 - Bovill (Michael Slack)

2-4 - Wilderness (Jemand)

5-10 - Enemy at the Gates (Metatron)

5-10 - Kill Them Dead (Enraged Slith)

5-10 - Black Crown Part One (Duck in a Top Hat)

5-10 - Siege of Copperpeak (Ephesos)

5-10 - Xerch'de (Zxquez)

5-15 - Express Delivery (Arancaytar)

9-20 - A Small Rebellion (Vogel)

10-15 - Embers of Rebellion (Ephesos)

10-15 - Of Good and Evil (Alcitras, ported by BainIhrno)

10-15 - Discord (Nikki)

10-15 - Outpost Valley (Smoo)

10-15 - Eternal (Nikki)

10-18 - Quarhag Pass (Smoo)

10-18 - Mad Ambition (Terror's Martyr)

10-20 - Melliput Mobsters (Celtic Minstrel)

13-18 - Strange Gildra (B.J. Earles)

15-18 - Cradle (B.J. Earles)

15-20 - Warp (Ephesos)

15-20 - Sorcerer's Apprentice (Niemand)

15-20 - A Visit to the Madhouse (Niemand)

15-20 - A Defiant Land (Vox)

15-20 - Emerald Mountain (Terror's Martyr)

15-25 - HIM (Thralni)

17-30 - Za-Khazi Run (Vogel)

18-23 - Out of Sight (Nikki)

20-30 - Druids of Krell (Ephesos)

20-25 - Echoes Renegade (Terror's Martyr)

20-25 - Shades of Gray (Ephesos)

23-27 - HIM Wolf at the Door (Thralni)

25-35 - Diplomacy with the Dead (Vogel)

30-45 - Backwater Calls (Smoo)

30-46 - Magus of Cattalon (Smoo)

35-45 - Bahssikava (Kelandon)

35-45 - Where the Rivers Meet (Thralni)

35-45 - Dilecia (Lazarus)

35-50 - Canopy (Terror's Martyr)

40-45 - Muffins n' Hell (Iffy)

40-50 - In the Shadow of Dragons (Nemesis)

55-70 - Exodus (Kelandon)

Any - Tales from the Tabard Inn (Lazarus)

Any - Staff (Michael Slack)

Any - Three Twenty-Three (Nikki)

Any - Threnody (Lazarus)

Any - Twilight Valley (Nikki)

Any - Nobody's Heroes (Kelandon)

Any - Kingdom Hall (Nikki)

Any - Kill Prize, Win Ogre (Dintiradan)

Any - Imagine This Scenario (Terror's Martyr)

Any - Ruby Nose (Michael Slack)

Any - El Presidente (Nikki and Thralni)

Any - Frostbite (Lazarus)

Any - Mystery Manor (Michael Slack)

Any - Always on Your Day Off (Nicothodes)

Any - Amnesia (Michael Slack)

Any - Avatar (Terror's Martyr)

Any - Bonus Army (Terror's Martyr)

Prefab - Stairway (Niemand)

Prefab - Secrets (Seasons of Destiny)

Prefab - Lord Putidus (Kelandon)

Special - Edit Them Dead (Dintiradan)

Special - Magic Lab (Niemand)

Special - High Level Party Maker (Kelandon)

Special - Nine Variations of Point B (Alec, ported by Kelandon)

Special - Artifacts Hall (Terror's Martyr)

Buf if you haven't played them before, following a strict level based order wouldn't be good for some scenarios. Specifically Kelandon's scenarios.

There are also some scenarios that you won't find on the Scenario Database. You might skim through the old forum posts looking for them. You might want to look through the Shadowvale archives too. For example you might ask Enraged Slith to send you a copy of The Dead are Revolting. It was removed because of one joke in bad taste, but it was his best work.

For scenarios that should be played in a specific order, there aren't many direct sequels.

To get the most out of Kelandon's stuff I would say you should play Small Rebellion before any of them. Then Bahssikava, Exodus, Nobody's Heroes, and end with the Magic.

HIM Wolf at the Door is a sequel to HIM. There was going to be a third that never happened.

Play Mad Ambition before Echoes: Renegade.

You should play Frostbite before Tales from the Tabard to understand a little cameo.

I can't remember anything else right now.

When it comes to skipping scenarios it's kind of hard to say. I myself was going to go over the utility scenarios just to talk about what people had done with them, but there is nothing wrong with skipping them either. The only one I can remember you should really skip is Kill Prize, Win Ogre. That is just a super short, stupid in-joke about a BoE joke.

I would also strongly recommend you read a scenario's Read Me before playing it.

Good luck!

Appreciate the information there!

With regards to playing it before, I have only ever played the demo long ago... which meant I only played Valley of Dying Things and nothing else. My current goal is to play through all the integrated, included scenarios, and then I'll play through the player scenarios in the list. I was going to go down the list from A to Z, but I'll make sure to get the ordered/sequeled ones you mentioned there first just so I can get them out of the way! I'll keep the Read Mes in mind as well.

I also appreciate the list of levels for the various scenarios. Another thing I'll keep in mind, though I do wonder how these scenarios deal with artificially-levelled-up characters (via the character editor) that may not be equipped out. Do they give you appropriate equipment?

And so we begin our Let's Play of all the Blades of Avernum scenarios: Starting with the one scenario available in the demo, the Valley of Dying Things! What a cheery name for a start.

And good luck figuring out the theme for this party of adventurers! I doubt anyone will get it.

EDIT: Valley of Dying Things, Part 1

Edited by Kelandon

As far as my scenarios go:

* Bahssikava and Exodus are intended to be played with the same party, Bahssikava first and Exodus second. I originally intended for Bahssikava to be played after the four main scenarios, but some people like putting a TM scenario (Canopy, I think) in between.

* Lord Putidus, Nobody's Heroes, and The Magic are all intended to be played with new parties that are pretty close to the default new party.

Nine Variations on Point B isn't really a utility scenario, but it isn't really a real scenario either.

"Kill Self, Win Prize" is a masterpiece though.

I enjoyed the BoE version of Nine Variations on Point B. I don't know how different the BoA version is though. BoE's basically took a simple concept, which is "You are at point A, go to point B" then step by step makes the task of getting to Point B a little more complex and interesting, sort of a meta-analysis of design to make novice designers think more creatively.

I've only watched the first two so far, but I noticed that up to that point you had yet to view your quest list... you even got and completed a quest without ever (apparently) noticing (the rats in Fort Talrus).

(It also surprises me that you seem to use your mouse so much, but I guess that might just be personal taste.)

I've only watched the first two so far, but I noticed that up to that point you had yet to view your quest list... you even got and completed a quest without ever (apparently) noticing (the rats in Fort Talrus).

(It also surprises me that you seem to use your mouse so much, but I guess that might just be personal taste.)

Oh no I noticed. I just don't always need to look at the quest list. Guy says "Go kill rats", I kill rats, I go tell him. No need to check the list. I mainly check if I need a refresher on what quests I have. And yes, I prefer using my mouse for control.

Onwards we move into the town of Blinlock. Even here it's having problems.

Hehe, in episode 4 you accidentally said "Avadon 3".

I wonder if you know that light spells work outdoors at night? Though I suppose it doesn't matter that much.

Yeah that goofup happens a lot when I change games... I get used to it eventually. And yes, I've been aware. There just isn't really much point for it.

Onwards we go into the third town in the valley, and it... really isn't holding up well at all...

It's been pretty entertaining so far. I'm not too crazy about trying to put on a voice for each character, but you have to do it the way you think is best.

Your fighting tactics are amusing to me. Very straight forward. I don't think I have ever sent my mages into melee like you do. If that sounds rude, I really don't mean it to be. Carrying around some missile weapons wouldn't go amiss though. At least for situations like in this last video with the spell casting imps out of range.

I would also like to hear more of your reactions or thoughts about characters, situations, and what is happening generally. Especially when you get into the user made stuff. To me, that is what makes a Let's Play worth watching. Without that, I don't really get much more out of watching you play than I could get just playing it myself. If you plan to keep doing these types of videos into the future (beyond Spiderweb games) and want to improve them, consider what you in particular can bring to make it unique. That might be as simple as expressing more of your own personal viewpoint. Or perhaps you already have a philosophy about your videos? I can't say I have watched enough of your other stuff to know.

As for your question about losing AP in combat, your suspicions are correct. You are over-encumbered. If you check the training screen, in the bottom left it will show your encumbrance and AP penalty. Putting points into defense will lower your encumbrance and eventually remove the penalty. In the meantime, wear lighter equipment. The large shields are probably the worst offender. I can't remember if encumbrance has any effect before the AP penalty though. Possibly making you act slower in combat? Someone else might know.

It's been pretty entertaining so far. I'm not too crazy about trying to put on a voice for each character, but you have to do it the way you think is best.

Your fighting tactics are amusing to me. Very straight forward. I don't think I have ever sent my mages into melee like you do. If that sounds rude, I really don't mean it to be. Carrying around some missile weapons wouldn't go amiss though. At least for situations like in this last video with the spell casting imps out of range.

I would also like to hear more of your reactions or thoughts about characters, situations, and what is happening generally. Especially when you get into the user made stuff. To me, that is what makes a Let's Play worth watching. Without that, I don't really get much more out of watching you play than I could get just playing it myself. If you plan to keep doing these types of videos into the future (beyond Spiderweb games) and want to improve them, consider what you in particular can bring to make it unique. That might be as simple as expressing more of your own personal viewpoint. Or perhaps you already have a philosophy about your videos? I can't say I have watched enough of your other stuff to know.

As for your question about losing AP in combat, your suspicions are correct. You are over-encumbered. If you check the training screen, in the bottom left it will show your encumbrance and AP penalty. Putting points into defense will lower your encumbrance and eventually remove the penalty. In the meantime, wear lighter equipment. The large shields are probably the worst offender. I can't remember if encumbrance has any effect before the AP penalty though. Possibly making you act slower in combat? Someone else might know.

The voices are part of my "Thing" with these lets plays... to make it more interesting than just reading in dull monotone throughout an entire conversation. Plus... I'm a natural ham. :p

I too don't normally send my mage and cleric into melee combat, however when magic is limited and I'm not piling on the arrows (because I am HORRIBLE with limited consumables, as you may have noticed from the fact I don't really use potions) I tend to just smack things. Plus, I had a good experience making a "Slith War Priest" in one Let's Play I did and see the good sides of making a decent mixed fighter, especially for my fighting style.

My reactions and thoughts DO get into things sometimes, and I did it a LOT in some episodes in the past... but you may be right and I'm starting to slip. I'll see if I can catch myself into doing it more in upcoming recording sessions.

As for that note about losing AP? Thank you, that WAS something I had been wondering about. To my knowledge, encumbrance ALSO affects Mage spells, in that too much armor prevents you from casting, but a mage trait I took negates that a bit.

Anyway, into the school's Library we go... but how much is even left there?

Speaking of fighting tactics, I've repeatedly wondered why you keep gathering arrows but never using them.

I'm also way behind though, so if you've used them since Marralis then I would have no idea.

Speaking of fighting tactics, I've repeatedly wondered why you keep gathering arrows but never using them.

I'm also way behind though, so if you've used them since Marralis then I would have no idea.

I am a REALLY bad hoarder. You may have noticed I've gathered all the potions, wands, and scrolls, and never used a single one of them. Because when it comes to a limited number of things that aren't really replacable without spending money or some other limited resource, why use it now when I could get through the issue without using it and save it for when I REALLY need it?

Like I said, I'm bad with that.

Into the deepest recesses of the school we go, into the Power Center...

Aren't arrows reusable in Avernum? Or at least have a chance of being retrievable. That's one improvement I recall compared to the Exile trilogy.

I tend to forget to use consumables too (wands, potions, scrolls), but arrows and throwing weapons don't seem to fall into that category quite so much, at least if I have someone who has no magic skills. (If they have magic I'd just use a spell instead. Unless they're out of mana.) Still, I can definitely understand your reasoning.

Aren't arrows reusable in Avernum? Or at least have a chance of being retrievable. That's one improvement I recall compared to the Exile trilogy.

They do have a chance, but a chance is not a guarantee. I'm weird like that. And Magic is nice, until you run out of mana... I barely use Smite because I figure I'll need all that mana for heal spells. If I can get by without using a spell or arrow, why use them?

Finally we do what we can to end the Curse of Skylark Vale. And since there's some time, we take care of a few other small issues we left around here too.