[A2:CS] Char using abil not present. -- bug?

Strangest thing just happened. I'm in Silvar (for the first time this game, to give you a sense of where I am in the story). I've done everything I wanted to do in the town. Killed the brigands in the corner, etc. As I'm leaving, I hear a kind of zapping noise, and I start hearing screams. The message window shows guards taking thousands of damage. Unfortunately, I reflexively quicksave at this point, and I go check it out: there's what appears to be quickfire in the middle of Silvar! How'd *that* get there? I let it kill me and reloaded my quicksave, and I could get out of town with only guards having taken damage (no named characters in the message window) so I think I'm fine, but... what happened? When I went back into Silvar immediately after, the fire was gone. I wonder if I accidentally hit some button combination that caused this. The only clue I have is that, at what I assume was that particular point in time, the message box showed, in red, the following:

Char using abil not present.

(This is on OS X 10.11, with the Steam version.)

This forum is full of people who mess with the scripts so I figured I'd ask here before bothering the man himself. I certainly don't have any means of creating quickfire. Did the Empire trap Silvar like they'll presumably do with the towns in Footracer Province once A3:RW comes around?

Char using abil not present.

​That message can occur when an ability is clicked accidentally and the game is doing something else. It usually doesn't mean anything and shouldn't have triggered quick fire. It might have occurred because quick fire was being dealt with in damaging a guard.

Quick fire goes away when you leave and reenter a town.

No idea how it got started.

The "random unexpected quickfire" has been reported previously, but no one's ever been able to duplicate it. (Edit: sniped. I'm not a very quick draw these days, am I :p)

I would consider going back to a previous save, just in case. I'm not sure the message window displays characters out of your field of vision.