Weapon Configuration Questions

Hello. I started with the standard characters. I currently have only a few levels. I'm playing on lowest difficulty and even added some character points to the characters though the character editor. I lack patience (these days) to try an encounter 8000 times before succeeding, so I'm looking to optimize the characters a bit. I upgraded my Skyrim weapons so much that hitting a dragon with my sword is approximately the same as a thermonuclear explosion :)

Ok, so the fighter at about level 4'ish is using sword and shield trying to mostly raise his strength with occasional blips in endurance and dexterity. He's trying to raise his sword attack with second point to hardiness and parry alternately. Not sure if this is good or not. I don't have access to a lot of good weapons yet, should I be fighting with sword and shield and/or when should I transition to dual wield swords?

The second character is the "rebel" which is a jack of all trades. So far I have her throwing javelins (occasionally) and mostly using a decent pole weapon because that is where her points were originally. Is that OK, or should I try to boost her swords? My skill increases are more eclectic as well including a point in cave lore and some tool use points.

For the two spellcasters, I'm boosting their intelligence, with an occasional point elsewhere, and also to their particular spell skill along with some points spread out on the above skills (arcane lore, spellcraft, and so on).

So what am I doing wrong? Nothing is bad so far but if I'm not doing it right probably good to find out before I'm too far in. I could use the character editor to rearrange the skill points if I'm doing it wrong so hopefully I won't end up behind the power curve.

So far, the difficulty is OK. I'm handling most things OK. The only white knuckle encounter so far was the Lizard creatures in the little island west of the starting area. There were 2 spellcasters and a boss and LOTS of decent warriors and I barely survived.

I played a lot of these years ago, including all the Realmz scenarios (if you guys remember those). I used to love that game. Thanks

You need to maintain your to hit chance early in the game. After level 15 you pretty much have the maximum 95% to hit chance and don't need to worry about it. But at the beginning you need to increase strength for hitting with swords and pole arms and dexterity for range attacks. Spellcasters need intelligence for spell energy and to hit.

Fighters have to watch that they don't wear too much bulky armor early in the games since that lowers to hit chance. Hold off on dual wielding with two swords until above level 15 because there is a penalty to hit chance and lower damage. There is an upper level skill that will reduce those penalties.

Increasing swords or pole arms will increase damage as well as let you increase the higher level skills. Parry is real useful to avoid getting hit and hardiness will reduce damage.

Cave lore and arcane lore can wait since there are trainers that will give you those skills for money. Tool use is more useful to get past locked doors and traps to get to the better loot.

I'm doing OK so far. I am rounding level 8 now. I just rescued the prisoners and had some horrific battles with some demons in two rooms. I suspect I wasn't supposed to go after the pommel of Demonslayer yet. No bragging rights though because I added some attribute points in the character editor before starting so my characters are a little better and also better at tool use than they should be. Even so, I lost 3 of 4 characters in the battle. Used up most of my charged magic items too.

I'm following the advice above, but I'm a little worried because my characters are failing to hit a little bit, especially with the demons. I wonder if that is me wearing armor that reduces my to hit, or just that those enemies were more powerful? I probably need to switch to dual wield.

I'm starting to get the idea that the wands and scrolls are a way for characters to do 2 things and thus very valuable, even if the effects aren't great.

What the heck do all the lanterns do? There doesn't seem to be any DARK places.

I'm doing OK so far. I am rounding level 8 now. I just rescued the prisoners and had some horrific battles with some demons in two rooms. I suspect I wasn't supposed to go after the pommel of Demonslayer yet. No bragging rights though because I added some attribute points in the character editor before starting so my characters are a little better and also better at tool use than they should be. Even so, I lost 3 of 4 characters in the battle. Used up most of my charged magic items too.

I'm following the advice above, but I'm a little worried because my characters are failing to hit a little bit, especially with the demons. I wonder if that is me wearing armor that reduces my to hit, or just that those enemies were more powerful? I probably need to switch to dual wield.

It's probably a bit early for you to be fighting demons, yeah. A good general rule to follow is that if you can't get a 90% hit rate against an enemy you probably want better levels or stats before fighting it, if possible. As long as you pump your main attack stat (Str for melee combatants, Dex for archers, Int for casters) you'll eventually have no problems with accuracy, even in heavy armour, but at low levels you're not quite there yet.

What the heck do all the lanterns do? There doesn't seem to be any DARK places.

They do slightly increase the brightness of your surroundings, but you can get by without them. Earlier games made them more important.