Homeland: The Stone of Night

Antra

Hello, I hope someone here can help me. After playing through the demo for Homeland, I ordered the full version of it last friday. It came today, when I installed it no error messages, however when I start it, it gets to the first conversation, then when I click on continue to start playing it just dumps me back to XP. frown

• 2 weeks later...

You actually ordered that game? Wow. Well, Im not exactly sure, but I think some of the older Spiderweb games dont always work that well, or hardly at all, on Windows XP. I just checked the little section that Homeland has at Spiderwebs website, and it says that it only works on Windows 95/98/NT. That might be why it crashes.

Quote:
Originally written by crowsfein18:
You actually ordered that game? Wow. Well, Im not exactly sure, but I think some of the older Spiderweb games dont always work that well, or hardly at all, on Windows XP.
Not true. The old games work perfectly on XP, at least for me.

Antra: Have you patched the game? It might help..

Quote:
I doubt Homeland does though. Really, go to the Spiderweb Software main page, go to our games, and look at the Homeland section, it says it requires one of the earlier forms of Windows. Im sure his problem is that he's running it on XP. I wonder, how many people have actually ordered Homeland?
Quote:
Homeland: The Stone of Night is available on CD-ROM. It requires a PC or 100% compatible running Windows 95/98/NT
Look carefully...see that NT there? And now, guess what XP is? Yeah, that's right, NT 5.1
And if we're continuing this talk it looks like XP users can't play Avernum either if we use your theory wink

Oops, guess I should probably train a few more levels in Windows Operating System lore. Really, why would anybody order Homeland? I mean, the demos boring enough, I cant imagine what the full game would be like. And when I said 'older games', I wasnt talking about Avernum, I was refering to stuff like Homeland, Oceanboud, Lost Souls, you know, the non-spiderweb games that stunk.

Quote:
Really, why would anybody order Homeland?
'Cause they are one of the few ones that find Homeland to be playable? tongue
Quote:
And when I said 'older games', I wasnt talking about Avernum, I was refering to stuff like Homeland, Oceanboud, Lost Souls, you know, the non-spiderweb games that stunk.
Yeah, I know I just used Avernum as an example to show that you are wrong on the OS thing wink

• 2 weeks later...

Win XP is notoriously bad for running older games... the games made for DOS never did run very well in Windows, and each new version of Windows just makes it worse. Even the older Windows games don't always run in XP... hence this topic.

Here's some obvious things you may have glossed over...

Update Homeland fully.

Update all drivers (especially sound).

Try disabling sound, extra graphic options, ect. in an attempt to discover the exact problem.

Make sure you are running Homeland in full screen mode (default should be full screen, so this most likely doesn't apply).

Try Win XP compatibility mode.

Reinstall Homeland

Make sure the demo is unistalled BEFORE installing the full (or is Homeland a registration key? if it is, ignore this... I never did order Homeland)

Alternatly, you could install a different version of Windows on a second harddrive... or even partition your primary drive into a second piece, then install another Windows there. Then you'd have to boot to the other Windows... I wouldn't attempt these without some in-depth knowledge.