How can I tell what class a character is?

FroBodine

I have five folks that I have met, that will join my party when I embark upon quests and such. I don't see anywhere on the character screen, skill screen or the inventory screen, where it tells me what class the character is, e.g. Sorcerer, Barbarian, etc.

How are we supposed to know what class a character is please? It HAS to be shown somewhere, otherwise this was a huge oversight to not ever tell you what class the character is except when you first meet them. And, I can't remember that well.

I've never played the game, so I'm not familiar with all the skills. Over time, it will become obvious, but right now it's a pain in the butt when I'm looking at the dudes before I have chosen my group.

It sure seems like an oversight to not put the character class on the character sheet. That is D&D 101!

I love the game, it's just a little frustrating right now until I remember who is who, and it shouldn't be that way.

Each of the 5 PCs that will join you is a different class. (Yes, you've met all of them.)

So even if you don't happen to remember the names of the classes, you aren't really missing anything that will help you decide who to take. The class names don't necessarily evoke all of their abilities, anyway.

For reference, there are 5 classes, and the characters are displayed left to right in the standard order:

Blademaster

Shadowwalker

Shaman

Sorceress

Tinkermage

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it. I'm not worried about missing anything, I just think it's an oversight to not show the class of the character anywhere on their character sheets. I've never played a D&D type game that left this out.

It's just a matter of having to look at all the skills to try to remember what class of character so and so is, when deciding what skills to improve and such, especially after coming back to the game after an extended absence.

It shouldn't even be an issue. The class should be displayed on the character sheet.

FWIW, lots of classic computer and console RPGs have characters with unique abilities, but don't even have character classes at all. And many of those games have far more PCs that you have to keep straight.

Also, I just noticed that Avadon 3 actually does display each class's name on the character selection screen.

I guess I just don't understand why it's so important to use screen real estate for something that, on the one hand, is completely static and never changes; but that on the other hand, has no actual game relevance that isn't already communicated by the skill tree and (in a few cases) equipment.

Hmm, I'm looking at the character and inventory screens, and I don't see the class name anywhere. What am I missing?

It's not super important, but for a newbie, it's nice to know what class you are looking at when deciding what skills and stats to improve, e.g. ok this is my Sorcerer. She needs intelligence, and I want to get some more magic skills instead of buffing her standard attack. Stuff like that.

No biggie. It's not the end of the world by any means. I just thought it stuck out as something sorely missing. I'll survive, though. I love these games!

The picture of the character works for me. There are very few characters comparatively and each one looks significantly different to the others on their screens. Within a few minutes you should be familiar with them enough to recognise them at a glance. The actual names of the classes are mightily irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

For the most part appearance really does describe it. The one in the heavy armor is the Blademaster. The one in the long light-blue robes is the Mage (Sorceress). The one in the natural brown outfit is the Shaman. The one in the dark leather and chain ensemble is the sneaky Shadowalker. And the odd man out is the Tinkermage. Clothes fit the job.

Would it help if you pretended there are no class names at all, just five PCs with unique skill sets who can join your party? :D

I mean, it sounds like the main issue they're having at the moment is that it's easier to look for and follow build advice if you know what class you're building for. It shouldn't take too long to get used to which skillsets belong to which classes, though.