does crystal souls follow the exact plot of avernum 2 the original?

does crystal souls follow the exact plot of avernum 2 the original?

I know they share an overall layout, but are the individual side quests the same? or just the overarching plot? I'm a big fan of avernum but if I've already enjoyed the original trilogy, maybe I should pickup avadon 3 instead of avernum2:crystal souls as my next steam purchase?

Avernum remakes contain most of the previous game texts. There is additional material to help keep you able to find the next step in the main quest lines by giving minor quests to send you to certain locations.

There are some quests related to additional material in Avernum: Escape from the Pit for Kyass and his little town. Not as much new material added as in A: EftP.

Mostly it has the improvements to the game engine and combat from the second Avernum Trilogy.

If you are looking for a new story than get Avadon 3: The Warborn since that's almost all new material. In about a year the Avernum 3: Ruined World remake should be out.