Several questions (A:EftP)

I currently own both Escape from the Pit and Crystal Souls on Steam (Waiting for Ruined World to appear eventually :) ), as well as the second trilogy of the games. AND the entire Geneforge Saga (Woah! I'm having endless hours of fun, huh? xD)

Well... Currently, I'm on my first Torment Run on Escape from the Pit (I completed the game in Avernum 1 from a friend that owned the game, but sadly, I lost the game...)

So, here are the questions...

1- On special encounters, when you defeat a certain group of monsters, you might get a special Item (Treated Leather or Nephil Warblade, as example). If you have your inventory full at the moment of getting that weapon... Is the item lost? (I ask because I visited the Scimitar Cave, where you could see what they did with some Empire guys or something, I should have gotten 50 coins and a Speed Elixir, but I only got the 50 coins...

2- Is the level difference going to affect the monster's block/resist damage to every source of attack? (Example, at level 1, a Goblin might absorb 60% of the damage I dealt, but when I'm around level 15 or something, that damage reduction is now around 15%) I'm playing sort of a "glass-cannon" party (Pure STR Warrior, Pure DEX Archer, Pure INT Priest, Pure INT Mage, currently at level 17 from some grinding around Fort Draco)

Thank you for answering! :)

1: Probably what happened here was the Speed Elixir automatically stacked with 1 or more Speed Elixirs you already had.

2: Yes, although I'm not sure if it's in the way you mean. ALL monsters automatically have a higher % of resisted damage, for all damage types, depending on what level they are. On the PC's side, increasing your experience level will make your damage go up a little bit (and investing in appropriate stats/skills will make it go up even more), but that will not affect the % of damage monsters resist.

Note that the displayed % of damage reduced is incorrect on Torment in most of these games, due to a text only display bug. I can't remember if this was corrected for AEFTP or not, but I don't think so. If this display bug is present, the % reduced will be shown as much lower than it really is (frequently even as 0% reduced).

1. Nope, never had a Speed Elixir before! And only the 50 coins displayed as "gotten", if somebody could test getting a special weapon while having full invejtory, that'd be nice!

2. Then I'm looking at a grim future in my Torment run... Currently on level 17 (4-party) and still getting killed by Ogres near Tower of Magi... (My warrior still gets overwhelmed and hit at 95%...). I must be doing something wrong... (Last I saw, my warrior dual-wields nearly 300 damage swords and still hits around 120...) So I thought the blocked damage might go away to deal almost full damage on them... (I can't imagine Grah-Hoth... Probably 10 damage while 290 blocked...). Unless that's normal, and I should still up my levels...

1. Have you looked the ground because if your inventory is full, then the extra item is dropped to the ground.

2. Not all goblins are the same. Later game monsters may have the same name, but are set to a different level at that location. But I've seen the same problem with the Sliths at that level and it goes away eventually at higher levels.

Monsters have different resistance/armor for each damage type so changing to a sword with fire or other damage type may help or hurt with penetrating damage (immune to fire damage). A: EftP has some monsters that are highly resistance to physical and very few to magical damage.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It's just another encumbrance. :)

1. Happened outdoors. I want to know if the item you should get outdoors is lost with full inventory.

2. Well... Currently I have the Singing Rapier and another sword I don't remember, but both are physical still.

Even then... It seems like I'll not get enough damage to hurt the big guys with my pure STR warrior... (Supposedly being a very high damage dealer, since I invested all my points in STR...)

And the goblins I talked about were the small goblins... They resisted like 20 damage or so, while I dealt to them a deadly 170...

It's like I'll be stuck until I grind levels and money to get spells and stuff...

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Magic resistance does goes up a bit more slowly than physical resistance, so you can try attacking especially tough monsters with spells and see how that goes. In general, magic is stronger than weapons (especially anything that isn't dual-wielded) in AEFTP. Not much you can do about that, that's just the game balance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "overwhelmed and hit at 95%." It's normal in this game for hit rate to eventually approach the maximum for everybody, monsters especially included on Torment. The % of damage you are getting through is normal though -- raising your levels/items/spells will help, but also adapting your strategy. Move carefully to take on fewer monsters at once, in dungeons that allow it; attack them at range, before they can charge you; make effective use of the most efficient damage outputs, like AoE spells and Adrenaline Rush. Use summons as meatshields to help your tank survive; or have your archer be a second tank so there's less pressure on your warrior. (Dex is better for defense than Str is, anyway, though on Torment it won't have much impact.)

"1. Happened outdoors. I want to know if the item you should get outdoors is lost with full inventory."

Outdoor items with full inventory appear when you enter the next town or dungeon entrance, but you might have missed the message. Now you get to retrace your path and try to figure out where you went.

I went back to Almaria, but... I don't get it, what message did I missed?

I also can provide some screenies in a bit... Tried my luck with a Cave Giant from Formello quest... (If those things are normal monster encounters later on, then God save us all...).

I think I dealt 30 and 27 with Dual-wield... Totally blocked by resistances... It's crazy!

Well! I'm sure those one-shot critical hits from Aranea Watchers are going to be less... Ummm... One-shot! xD

When one of those pests did some sort of Ice Breath on me (Don't remember the spell name...), I got one-shotted by a critical hit proc for 180+ damage... My team is now 135 HP... Which means I need more levels, maybe...

And about that thing that you said, Randomizer... BRB! I'll go see the floor in Almaria! *Runs*

EDIT: YOU WERE RIGHT! It was an Energy Elixir that was left in the ground! :o

Thank you so much, pal! :)

http://imgur.com/xwJVPcI

Just look at that! It's a ludicrous blocking on the Formello Cave Giant! Like I said, if this thing is a common monster later, then I must be a terrible Avernum player or something! xD

(That was with melee, by the way... Pure STR Level 18 Dual-wielding warrior!)

If the block didn't existed, I'd have him insta-killed, pretty much, haha!

http://imgur.com/xwJVPcI

Just look at that! It's a ludicrous blocking on the Formello Cave Giant! Like I said, if this thing is a common monster later, then I must be a terrible Avernum player or something! xD

(That was with melee, by the way... Pure STR Level 18 Dual-wielding warrior!)

If the block didn't existed, I'd have him insta-killed, pretty much, haha!

Yeah, that's normal. Pretty much all high-level enemies will block a very high percentage of the damage you do, especially physical damage. The only thing you can really do about it is find ways to do more damage by improving your stats and equipment: there's a reason why most advice for playing on Torment recommends investing in each character's primary offensive stat as heavily as possible.

In general, if you can consistently get a 95% hit rate against an enemy and survive its attacks, you're probably strong enough to beat it, it just might take a while.

I think you are overreacting to this. Most RPGs allow armor to block a pretty huge portion of incoming damage. The main difference here is that AEFTP actually tells you how much is blocked by armor/resistance. And, as Lilith says, you are playing on Torment, so everything seems worse.

It also seems like you may be going after higher level enemies. In general, you are best off attacking the lowest level types of foes currently available to you. You've probably cleared most of the goblin and nephil areas already, but giants and aranea are not low on the totem pole.

I think you are overreacting to this. Most RPGs allow armor to block a pretty huge portion of incoming damage. The main difference here is that AEFTP actually tells you how much is blocked by armor/resistance. And, as Lilith says, you are playing on Torment, so everything seems worse.

It also seems like you may be going after higher level enemies. In general, you are best off attacking the lowest level types of foes currently available to you. You've probably cleared most of the goblin and nephil areas already, but giants and aranea are not low on the totem pole.

No no! It's just amusing! I can Adrenaline Rush that Cave Giant with my Warrior and lower him to half health, but his Ogre friends will kill me, anyways.

But... Am I terrible? I'm level 18 in a four-group party and I'm still getting pummeled by these... Ummm... "Supposedly", low levelled bosses, Formello is kind of like a "early-mid level" settlement, so I should make some advances.

I'm also going around other towns to find some quick and easy exp quests to avoid the grinding too much. I learned Graymold Salve and I might turn a profit by getting Graymold on that Island with Kai making it. (Unless there's a cooldown...)

Yeah, that's normal. Pretty much all high-level enemies will block a very high percentage of the damage you do, especially physical damage. The only thing you can really do about it is find ways to do more damage by improving your stats and equipment: there's a reason why most advice for playing on Torment recommends investing in each character's primary offensive stat as heavily as possible.

In general, if you can consistently get a 95% hit rate against an enemy and survive its attacks, you're probably strong enough to beat it, it just might take a while.

Ehhh...

Yeah... All my points into STR, haha!

Now that you've gotten to 95% to hit, you might upgrade armor a bit to reduce what you take in damage. Although the best armor comes from killing certain monsters.

The Formello quested cave giant is one of the hardest early quests and barely possible on normal difficulty at your level. Torment difficulty requires a higher level to do it easily. Torment difficulty also means that you need to skip for now some areas that you could steamroll through on normal difficulty.

I've found going to the Great Cave and doing easy collection quests a great way to gain a few levels. Plus the experience from visiting all the towns.

In general, your skill progression is OK. Some of those are better than others. Riposte in particular is not that great, and the higher level offensive skills are OK but are not as good as Hardiness and Parry. If for some reason :whistle: you want more of my opinions, you can find them here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/mac/641825-avernum-escape-from-the-pit/faqs/64127