Best moments during the gameplay (SW games only) [Posible spoilers]

TMiG-226

Hello,

Please share your best moments here, I'd really like to read them, here are some of mines.

Three things that made me happy during the gameplay (there were much more):

1. Feeding the lone woolf near Fort Monastery in Avernum 4

2. Obtaining Reproducing Bulwark in Avadon 1 which spawned bricks in your inventory during combat (meant you were s***ing bricks - "Pop!")

3. Love story in Avadon 2

I also loved having my houses in Avadon 2 cause I could put all my inventory trash there.

And defeating a god in Avadon 2 for achievement "A hand fears nothing" which gave me the chills and goosebumps.

The description of the fumarole falls in X1 and the black river rapids in X2. Basically all the narration involving the Olgai Council. The burst of activity when you return Caffren-Bok to his pedestal. Erika's ultimate fate. The Three Crones! Shanti, yes. Khyryk's dialogue options in G4. Khalida's fugue states.

Just about any dialogue with or about Alcandar in Avadon 2 because it shows greed and self interest are both good and funny.

The relationship between Nicodemus and his minions in the Avadon series because fear is such a good motivator.

X and his anvil spell throughout the Exile/Avernum series.

Discovering the Trakovites in G4, playing both the shapers and the rebels off each other, then turning on both of them for the Trakovite ending.

Realizing that the Trakovites turned into a fully developed, radical, anarchy sewing, terrorists cell in G5 was great too. I don't necessarily agree with their politics, but found myself aligning with them in both games regardless just because it's so much fun to play triple agent by pretending to align with both the rebels and shapers as long as possible (and as much as the game's faction reputation systems will allow), then screwing them both over in the end.

I still see G4 and G5 as Spiderweb's best games solely for how well they model faction politics. G5 does it so well it kind of blows my mind that just one guy designed it, while massive AAA games which try to do something similar never really approach its level of complexity in terms of potential allegiances and outcomes.

G5's faction system isn't really that complex when you look under the hood: there's a unidimensional reputation scale, plus a handful of specific events that lock you out of certain factions.

Which is kind of a lesson in itself: mechanical complexity often matters less than presentation.

Finding litalia on g5 was neat. Erica's final fate too. As one person said, the ornata ziggurat was also another.

X's final fate and his whole being.

Corruption core origin stories.

SHANTI! Yes, and the final revenge on that plot line.

Nicodemus's items in avadon 1

I guess there are others. I cant remember though

Finally finding the exit to the surface in Exile 1 - which I deliberately kept as the last quest / winning goal, since it seemed to me to be a more fitting end than killing Hawthorne.

I had played the demo, then waited quite some time until I could get the money and a check to send to Spiderweb back then. So I had already spent several months in the caves. Heck, it was the first game I actually dreamed about (and it has only happen to a handful of them). So, it was quite a momentous, glorious and emotional moment.

Of course, plenty of other moments were good, but that's definitely my most awesome memory.

Meeting the first Drakon in G2 -- on the toll road -- because he spooked me.

Some of Litalia’s dialogue in G5…first when she tells you that the effects of self-shaping (the arrogance and so forth) can wear off with time if you stop doing it…and then, near the end, when you’ve done her quests and she gives you her weapon and tells you she’s finished killing. There’s something about her dialogue there that lets me feel the weight being lifted off her shoulders, and makes me really happy for her.

Finding litalia on g5 was neat. Erica's final fate too. As one person said, the ornata ziggurat was also another.

X's final fate and his whole being.

Corruption core origin stories.

SHANTI! Yes, and the final revenge on that plot line.

Nicodemus's items in avadon 1

I guess there are others. I cant remember though

Yep, shooting stars and that transformation thingy, I also liked it alot.

Dealing with the second island in Geneforge 3.

Both sides.

They're very well portrayed and show just how misguided and desperate both sides are, while also showing that a person is never a pure representative of a faction.

Also that pesky necromancer's lair from the same island. It was something refreshing.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about best moment, but there is a scene that always stuck to my mind.

During G1, there was a 'rogue' Thahd hiding in the woods. It's gained sentience after a life of slavery. It spoke in baby-ish terms, and terrible grammar. Still, I could understand its feelings, its plight, its desire for freedom.

Throughout most of the game I held on strongly to Shaper beliefs of stability and strict control over Shaping. My Shaper dogma wavered at that point in the game.

I killed the Thahd, but not without it planting a seed of Rebel philosophy into me. I would gradually change after this moment, and am now slightly sentimental to the Rebel cause.