Geneforge 2 Ending Chart

I may do the rest of the series, after peeking into G2, and seeing that it was slightly more complicated than I thought. Because G2 ends the same place it begins, it was also very easy to test.

I can finally put to rest the debate over the Loyalist and Non-Aligned endings. They have significant text overlap, but unlike what is usually said, the criteria to reach them are completely exclusive.

Minor Variations in the Beginning of All Endings:

- Canister use (low, heavy)

- Shanti (did not learn she died, did not find her killer, did not avenge her, or avenged her)

- Zakary (did not meet, did not kill, or killed)

- Barzahl (did not meet, did not kill, or killed)

MAJOR ENDING 1: PC HAS NO INFLUENCE

You receive this ending if you do not qualify for any of the other five.

Branch 1a: Heavy Canister Use

The council distrusts you and jails you, before you are ultimately executed. The Shapers seize Drypeak, executing Zakary if he is alive, but hostile rogues nonetheless swarm out from the Valley and a long war begins.

Branch 1b: Low Canister Use, Joined Non-Loyalist Faction

The council distrusts you and jails you. The Shapers seize Drypeak, executing Zakary if he is alive, but hostile rogues nonetheless swarm out from the Valley and a long war begins.

Branch 1c: Low Canister Use, Did Not Join Non-Loyalist Faction

The council distrusts you, but sends you back to your training, where you are also distrusted. The Shapers seize Drypeak, executing Zakary if he is alive, but hostile rogues nonetheless swarm out from the Valley and a long war begins.

Minor Variations:

- Which faction you joined (if any)

- If you slew Taker leaders

- If you slew Barzahl

MAJOR ENDING 2: NON-ALIGNED VICTORY

You receive this ending if you kill Barzahl and the Taker leaders, and are not aligned with either the Loyalists or the Awakened.

N.B.: If you kill both threats, but are a member of the Loyalists or the Awakened, and have not completed your faction's quest chain, you will instead get ending 1. Also, it is not necessary to kill Zakary or Learned Pinner to get this ending.

The Council is impressed with your actions and returns you to your training. Shaper Troops take over Drypeak, and destroy Medab and Rising. Any faction leaders remaining there are all executed. The remaining Takers flee. You become a powerful, trusted, and valued Shaper.

Minor Variations:

- Canister use

- If you slew Zakary

- If you slew Learned Pinner

MAJOR ENDING 3: LOYALIST VICTORY

You receive this ending if you are aligned with the Loyalists and you complete their quest chain (which requires killing the Taker leaders as well as alienating the Awakened and the Barzites).

The Council is impressed with your actions and returns you to your training, though not before you defend Zakary. He is executed anyway. Shaper Troops take over Drypeak, and destroy Medab and Rising. Any faction leaders remaining there are all executed. The remaining Takers flee. You become a powerful, trusted, and valued Shaper.

Minor Variations:

- Canister use

- If you slew Zakary

- If you slew Barzahl

MAJOR ENDING 4: AWAKENED VICTORY

You receive this ending if you are aligned with the Awakened and you complete their quest chain (which requires killing the Taker leaders as well as alienating the Barzites).

The Council puts you in jail and executes Zakary if he is alive. The Awakened activate the Barrier of the Winds. Rising surrenders to them and Barzahl is dies if he is alive. The remaining Takers flee. The Awakened obtain victories over the Shapers and arrange a prisoner exchange for you. You spend the rest of your life fighting a war against the Shapers; apparently neither side can obtain decisive victory, but the Shapers aren't willing to back down.

Minor Variations:

- Canister use

- If you slew Zakary

- If you slew Barzahl

MAJOR ENDING 5: BARZITE VICTORY

You receive this ending if you are aligned with the Barzites and you complete their quest chain (which requires killing Zakary as well as alienating the Awakened and the Takers).

The Council puts you in jail. Medab surrenders to the Barzites. The remaining Takers flee. Barzahl obtains victories over the Shapers and arranges a prisoner exchange for you. The war continues for years and years, while you partake of increasingly powerful modifications and augmentations, eventually becoming an inhuman "God."

Minor Variations:

- Canister use

MAJOR ENDING 6: TAKER VICTORY

You receive this ending if you are aligned with the Takers and you complete their quest chain (which requires alienating the Awakened and the Barzites).

The Council puts you in jail and plans a military campaign, but too late. The Takers crush Medab, Rising, and Drypeak in sequence, killing any surviving leaders. (Barzahl, they eat!) Rising surrenders to them and Barzahl is dies if he is alive. The Takers obtain victories over the Shapers and arrange a prisoner exchange for you. You spend the rest of your life researching new destructive powers for the Takers, isolated from other humans.

Minor Variations:

- Canister use

- If you slew Zakary

- If you slew Barzahl

Also, ending 6 is the only ending that explains that the thing behind the locked door in the Taker warrens is "the final creation of Easss." I don't think this information appears elsewhere in the game, though I could be wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this

Minor Variations in the Beginning of All Endings:

- Zakary (did not meet

- Barzahl (did not meet

cannot actually be done ingame. Iirc if you don't go meet Zak the first door in the Secret Tunnel is closed. And I think you can't leave for the council unless you have met them both ?

Thinking about it more, for Barzahl, it's almost certainly possible. If you just never go to Rising, but you complete all the requirements of one of the 3 other sects, and are told by their leader to go back to the Shaper Council, complete with quest and everything, I doubt the game is then going to say "your mission is incomplete" when you try to do it.

For Zakary, I'm still not sure. Someone should try it.

Does anyone else know how to make sense of the servile you meet who calls herself Beka of Rising? She talks as if she's as Taker, in terms of rebelling against Shapers, yet Rising is the Barzite base. This happened in the zone before Secret Tunnel.

I started a new G2 game to take Slarty's No-Zak Challenge and see if I could skip meeting Zakary. Turns out, you CAN avoid meeting him. When I got to Drypeak, I skipped following Shanti to Drypeak Warrens and instead I went all the way to the door in Secret Tunnel, where I got message telling me I couldn't get through and I'd have to talk to Shanti about it. She hadn't appeared in the house in Drypeak, which meant I couldn't tell her about the door. I entered Drypeak Warrens zone, then left without talking to anyone. I checked the house in Drypeak and BOOM, there's Shanti. I told her about the tunnel and then went back to it. The door was locked but passable after I raised Mech and found enough living tools. And thus I passed through to Freegate without ever completing the Locate Zakary quest in my log. I tried to end the game by returning to the Entry Valley, but get a prompt saying I haven't learned enough and can't advance to the end of the valley. Incidentally, as I walked through Entry Valley, I also met Shanti again! (The text popped up where she talks to you like at the beginning.)

I'm not sure how much further one would have to play in order to be allowed to leave and trigger Major Ending 1, but I presume you could definitely complete Major Ending 4 or Major Ending 6 (i.e. joining the Awakened or the Takers) without ever completing the Locate Zakary or Locate Barzahl quests (obviously the Loyalist, non-aligned, and Barzite endings cannot be done without interacting with Z and/or B ).

Hah! Neat.

The Loyalist ending absolutely can be done without interacting with Barzahl.

Beka... you're right, that's crazy, reading through it. I wonder if at some point early in G2's development, Barzahl was intended to be working with the Takers, rather than a completely separate faction?

Right. You should be able to go non-aligned and skip Zakary (but you'll have to take out Barzahl), or go Loyalist and skip Barzahl (but you'll have to talk to Zakary to join). Fascinatingly, the Barzite ending is the only route through the game that actually requires you to personally encounter both Zakary and Barzahl (the latter to join his group and the former to kill him).

I wonder if at some point early in G2's development, Barzahl was intended to be working with the Takers, rather than a completely separate faction?

My guess would be that the names of towns just got changed, such that at one point Rising was the name of a Taker town but then got changed used as the name of the Barzite base, but the reference in Beka's dialogue got overlooked. Or maybe Jeff just forgot which town belonged to which faction when writing her dialogue.

Also, ending 6 is the only ending that explains that the thing behind the locked door in the Taker warrens is "the final creation of Easss." I don't think this information appears elsewhere in the game, though I could be wrong.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't some of the endings (loyalist at least) mention that the final creation of Easss locked behind the door awakens (or some such comment). I'm fairly certain there is the foreshadowing for all endings and I believe that I recall Easss being mentioned.

It is entirely possible that I am confusing game information with my own meta-knowledge though.