RPG Questionnaire

Sudanna

REVEAL TO ME YOUR DESIRES  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a Skype campaign run by me(Nalyd) using any of the following systems? If you would play in most or all of them, please choose only a few that you are most interested in.

• Vampire: The Masquerade
    • Stars Without Number
    • Dungeon World
    • Sagas of the Icelanders
    • Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition
    • Burning Wheel
    • Shadowrun Fifth Edition
    • Fantasy Flight's Star Wars Systems
  2. 2. Would you drastically prefer using a medium other than Skype?

• No, Skype is fine
    • Chat client - AIM or Calref chat
    • Mumble
    • Roll20
  3. 3. How many players, including you but not the GM, would you most prefer having?

4. 4. Do you mind, in any capacity, me recording, uploading, and posting sessions to this forum?

• I don't care.
    • It's okay only if the recordings aren't publicly available.
    • I do not like that.
  5. 5. What style of campaign do you prefer? If you like most or all of these options, please choose only a few that you are most interested in.

• Directed - The campaign has a clear and stated goal from the start, and the players pursue it. There may be twists or brief digressions, but this is the point of the game.
    • "Sandbox" campaign - The GM makes a world and provides hooks or events that allow players to choose from a variety of goals, as well as create and pursue their own agendas.
    • Player-directed - The GM mediates outcomes, provides details, and plays NPCs, but the players actively invent what their characters will do, without any consistent or overarching compulsions or GM interference.
    • Some mix of option 1 and option 2
    • Some mix of option 2 and option 3
  6. 6. How much input do you, as a player, want to have on the setting, backstory, NPC characters, etc. of the campaign?

• The players should do all of this, and the GM should only prompt and enact their decisions.
    • The GM and players should build these things collaboratively from the beginning.
    • The GM should come to the table with solidly fleshed-out ideas for these, and players should have broad freedom to add to, remove, or change aspects both before and during play.
    • Same as above, but player input should be significantly limited after play begins. They should not, for example, be able to create a new NPC for the GM to play, or describe a previously-nonexistent location they would like to visit.
    • The GM should do all of this, and players shouldn't have to worry about it.
  7. 7. Which of the following PC-PC interaction norms are acceptable to you?

• Player characters are strictly teammates and must not disobey the consensus of the other players. The party acts as one.
    • Players are teammates first and foremost, but a select few significant deviations are acceptable.
    • Player characters could be teammates, acquaintances, enemies, or even unknown to each other. Sometimes character's agendas line up and sometimes they conflict. Players trust other players to not be dicks but also accept losses.
    • Players should be in direct competition with each other.
    • PCs could engage in serious personal relationships, which players would act out. It would be okay to both initiate, influence, and refuse interpersonal storylines like this. See Option 3 re: dicks.
    • It's awkward if things get too heavy or personal with our characters. Let's keep it light or skim over that stuff if it is included.
  8. 8. Be honest: Do you just wanna fight stuff with dice, you philistines?

• . . . yes, i am a philistine
    • Why, I never! As a talented thespian, someone capable of truly breathing a soul into these characters, base numbers hold no appeal to my enlightened personage!
    • Mostly, yeah, but sometimes talking is funny and I like that.
    • I want each session to include significant portions of both mechanical considerations like combat or inventory management and straight-up talky roleplaying.
    • I don't mind if we have several sessions in a row of just or mostly combat or several sessions in a row of just talking and stuff, but I do want to do both over the course of a campaign. Sometimes too much of one can get tiresome, we should avoid t...
    • I don't care. Any mixture of the two is fine, even if one is excluded entirely.

So, I'm currently running an Apocalypse World campaign, and I expect the current arc to go on for several more sessions at least, at which point it may continue or may not. But it will end eventually, and I'd like to run another game after that happens! So I'd like to know what you guys are interested in for that. If you have any suggestions for systems, want to explain or qualify your answers to the questions, or anything else, please do so in a post!

Personally, I most want to run Vampire: the Masquerade. I think I've got some great ideas for a possible campaign set in Detroit, and done a lot of prep work just for fun. I love the system and the whole World of Darkness canon. I've also done a lot of preparation for a Stars Without Number campaign. I really want to play in/GM a Burning Wheel campaign, but that game is a monster and I'm afraid of it.

Thank you for responding!

Burning Wheel is best game.

It's sadly lacking in very clear and explicit instructions on how to set up and start a game that will be good, not terrible. It's easy to screw that part up, and then the game will be no fun, and it will seem like Burning Wheel is no fun. Not true, but that part of the manual just isn't there. Once the game gets off the ground you're probably fine; BW is a game that's great to play and very easy to run. It won't work great for people not willing to learn rules or track numbers, and it won't work if you want a thousand cool abilities out of the box, although that can be arranged with some work. For the thousand cool abilities World of Darkness is still my go-to.

—Alorael, who will take off his fanboy hat and sit back down. No, his schedule won't let him even remotely commit to anything.

Shadowrun SNES is pretty much the best thing ever.

Indeed, although it did require me coming back a decade later as an adult to properly enjoy it. As a child I got as far as the first gun and then went around killing the respawning guys reading newspapers on park benches and the occasional sniper.