About the compiled versions of BOE on the Spiderweb Website.

Bien MCR

Quote:
Originally written by Bien MCR:
The character editor says "unregistered copy".
I hadn't thought of that. Still, it would have the most important functions (eg restoring health and spell points.) If you need to build a party before entering a scenario you will have to use a party builder.

For BoA item numbers: you can get these in a couple of ways:

-look in Blades of Avernum Files/corescendata2.txt on your computer (this will also allow you to search by item name) and in Blades of Avernum Scenarios/(name of scenario you're playing)/(name of scenario you're playing)data.txt

-run any version of the BoA editor and look in the I1-I5 menus

Actually, I can't think of a simple list posted anywhere, although there may be one. However, if you have BoA you have corescendata, so you can always look there and in the scenario data file. Just be careful not to change these when you're looking through them.

Unlike the BoA version, the original BoE character editor has no provision whatsoever for custom items. It also has a few errors in it, see the post:“PC Editor: Item Problems” Started by Ishad Nha, last post September 18, 2007 11:52 PM

http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001866]web page

and also: “Petition for Carbonized Character Editor” BainIhrno October 03, 2007 11:19 PM

http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001869]web page

It means it will run natively on Mac OSX Intel; however, if you are able to run the demo character editor, you're clearly not using Mac OSX Intel (since that is the only platform it won't run on).

So I guess it's irrelevant. You could start a similar one for Win32 though, if you use Windows.

Edit: It seems the purpose of that thread may have been inadvertently expanded to include Windows...

If you want to learn coding without risk of crashes (or at least greatly reduced risk), try something like Python, Logo (especially if you want to draw pictures), Perl (never tried it myself) etc. Generally speaking, these higher level programming languages have better error handling than, say, C or C++ or Pascal, and hence will be less likely to crash your computer.

You could also try a scripting language, if it is not too specialized (AvernumScript is too specialized). For example, a HyperCard clone.

Of course, none of that would help you contribute to BoE in the short run. wink But it could help you learn principles of programming which could later be applied to a lower level language like C++.

My first "programming" was done in UCB Logo and HyperCard, and when I moved on to C++ and Python I found that I already understood some of the concepts, such as recursion. Next I have to learn Objective C or Java so I can use the Cocoa APIs... laugh

I would recommend to start with perl. If you could master it, you'll be able to master every possible programming language there is, cuz it's both easy and hard, and you could use perl for:

Code:
$var = 1;@arr = ('I','am','array');sub func {print @_[0]}func($var);print 1;
AND you could write things like this

Code:
`$=`;$_=\%!;($_)=/(.)/;$==++$|;($.,$/,$,,$\,$",$;,$^,$#,$~,$*,$:,@%)=($!=~/(.)(.).(.)(.)(.)(.)..(.)(.)(.)..(.)......(.)/,$"),$=++;$.++;$.++;$_++;$_++;($_,$\,$,)=($~.$"."$;$/$%[$?]$_$\$,$:$%[$?]",$"&$~,$#,);$,++;$,++;$^|=$";`$_$\$,$/$:$;$~$*$%[$?]$.$~$*${#}$%[$?]$;$\$"$^$~$*.>&$=`