Second Blue Pass bug? A2-CS

Hi,

I've picked up the quest to get a second blue pass from the Hidden Outpost/Secret Empire Fort and so have gone back there to find it. However, I don't know if it's because I cleared the fort out previously but the second blue pass is not there. I've been over the place with a fine tooth comb and in the end even looked up in the forums here where it should be but it's just not there. I have loaded and reloaded the game, entered and exited the fort a dozen times but nothing - no blue pass :( I even wondered if I was looking in the wrong fort but I have the brown exclamation mark on the map with the quest marked so I know I'm in the right place. Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I feel like this happened to me once and I ended up going back and finding the pass in some weird place. Don't remember where though, or whether or not the desk location in the atlas is indeed correct.

Have you walked up NEXT TO all the desks? I wonder if that could have been it, that it isn't triggered by looking (and therefore won't show up on a 'u' keypress), but rather by being right next to the desk.

There is one in the Secret Empire Fort in the northeast desk and you need to click on the desk. Once you have that one there will be the nothing in the desk message.

Have you also gone to the Unfinished Fort in the Scree Caves northwest of Fort Emerald? They are in two different forts. This one is in a cabinet on the west side.

I've just rechecked and when I click on the desk it says something like 'you don't find anything of any importance', I've stood next to all the desks too. I'll head on up to the Unfinished Fort and see if I have any luck there - I will let you know how I get on :)

Btw, thanks Slartibus and Randomizer for all of your help so far.

There should be a desk that gives this when you look in it:

20 = "The desk contains plans and records regarding the recent, devastating attack on Cotra. The Empire was cunning. First, they built this hidden base and filled it with skilled soldiers.";

21 = "Then they made an alliance with a group of eyebeasts from the western caves. They offered most of the spoils of Cotra in return for the eyebeasts' help in destroying it. ";

22 = "The papers give a good idea of what happened, but you can't find any current troop rosters or accounts of movements or anything that would be useful back in Avernum.";

23 = "You do find one very interesting thing, though. It's a scroll, edged with blue ribbon. It's a pass, which gives the bearers free passage through all blue clearance Empire checkpoints.";

I think '22' rings a bell when I first opened the desk ages ago. But the good news is, I went up to the Unfinished Fort and have found the Blue Pass, I'm not sure why the brown exclamation marker was in the wrong place but thank you both for all of your help :)

Basically it's because the game is assuming you'll get the two blue passes in a particular order even though there's nothing actually stopping you from collecting the "second" one first.

Basically it's because the game is assuming you'll get the two blue passes in a particular order even though there's nothing actually stopping you from collecting the "second" one first.

I must admit I do find I explore somewhat 'out of sequence'. I've found that in both Avernum games, I've wandered around and done all sorts of quests before I've actually received them iyswim. For me, it's a case of I'll just see what's in this dark cave before I head back into civilisation... :)

You're actually supposed to be able to do things out of order in A1-3. It's part of the draw, having the option of going to get yourself slaughtered by wandering too far or alternatively using strategy to overcome difficult battles too early in the game.

If Jeff Vogel still hasn't heard about this bug, kindly email him at support@spiderwebsoftware.com . Thanks!