Infinite Mercenaries? (Av-II)

lordhoff

Doing the task to allow my Shaman companion to visit his family. Once the fight with the retired Monitor started, a game that had been a lot of fun caused me to quit mid-battle. Why? Infinite, nonsensical spawns. I believe I killed some 50 mercenaries but they spawn as fast as they can be killed. OK, some patrols returned and make things interesting by attacking in the rear but it needs a lid! So, I'm guessing there's a trick - probably killing the Monitor with the three-foot thick armor (really, takes about a hundred hits it seems to get her close to killing and by that time, her stars and troops arrows that cause 50-80% damage per turn are not repairable so all that can be done is to duck downstairs which completely repairs the Monitor. Just plain silly. I'm only on normal too and as easy as many battles have been, I really don't want to make things easier just because of one battle.

OK, griping done. What the be banks deluxe am I doing wrong?

You are correct that you need to kill off the boss monitor person ASAP. Are you making full use of consumables (scrolls and potions) for healing and buffing? If not, that might help. What's your class / which other companion do you have? Based on your team, someone might be able to give more specific tactical advice.

You are correct that you need to kill off the boss monitor person ASAP. Are you making full use of consumables (scrolls and potions) for healing and buffing? If not, that might help. What's your class / which other companion do you have? Based on your team, someone might be able to give more specific tactical advice.

Yes but they ran out after the 50 kills. Class is shadowwalker and companions are Shaman (not sure if it's required but he needs to come) and blademaster. Can't remember the level but it's likely par for the course. Shadowwalker is +1 on the left two columns, shaman on right two, and blademaster on right two. Armed with jade ax (or whatever it's called) and titan steel star; a staff somewhat equal to a mage staff; a steel short sword?? and black oak bow. Armor for shadow walker is good; Shaman fair (swapping seems like gaming it to me so he gets and keeps what I give and I rarely use him), and blade master very good.

It's pretty common in RPGs to have a boss that replaces his minions every time you defeat them. In those cases, it's usually more effective to ignore the minions and focus on attacking the boss directly.

That said, it sounds like you may have low damage output in general. What stats and skills have you focused on for your PCs?

Me thinks I was just tired (or maybe the game was). Last night, I tried again and did just one thing different from the first two tries (when I focused on the Monitor - try three was the 50 kill thing). I sent "pets" to each of the doors to block the reinforcements for a while and this time, my throwing stars did enough damage to see the bar change on the Monitor (the first two times they were registering damage of 3-8; this time around 30 or so). Maybe on the first two tries I just had a long series of bad dice rolls. It was an enjoyable fight - not the utter frustration of the first three tries. I still think there should be a cap on the number of spawns - I really hate it when spawns are used infinitely but that's my peeve - perhaps not to many others share this.