we could play APOCALYPSE WORLD

Sudanna

Something’s wrong with the world and I don’t know what it is.

It used to be better' date=' of course it did. In the golden age of legend, when there was enough to eat and enough hope, when there was one nation under god and people could lift their eyes and see beyond the horizon, beyond the day. Children were born happy and grew up rich.

Now that’s not what we’ve got. Now we’ve got this. Hardholders stand against the screaming elements and all comers, keeping safe as many as they can. Angels and savvyheads run constant battle against there’s not enough and bullets fly and everything breaks. Hocuses gather people around them, and are they protectors, saviors, visionaries, or just wishful thinkers? Choppers, gunluggers and battlebabes carve out what they can and defend it with blood and bullets. Drivers and operators search and scavenge, looking for that opportunity, that one perfect chance. Skinners remember beauty, or invent beauty anew, cup it in their hands and whisper come and see, and don’t worry now about what it will cost you. And brainers, oh, brainers see what none of the rest of us will: the world’s psychic maelstrom, the terrible desperation and hate pressing in at the edge of all perception, it is the world now.

And you, who are you? This is what we’ve got, yes. What are you going to make of it?[/quote']

Apocalypse World is a narrative-focused system for roleplaying in post-apocalyptic settings, devised by Vincent Baker. It's real neat, and we could play it. It's different from other systems we've used in the past - The core mechanic is 2d6, not d4-d12 or d20. Stats are simplified, and classes receive moves instead of skills. A system other than hit points is used for damage and death. It's got a ton of style. The DM is the MC - master of ceremonies. It's unique. And it's rated R.

I have the rulebook. We can share.

Now, one of the things that Apocalypse World does well, in my limited experience, is a more collaborative, more player-involved, more spontaneous, somewhat less MC-determined style of roleplaying. So what I would like to do is get 3-4 other people that might find the concept interesting, make some characters, and determine a setting together. Apocalypse World does require an apocalypse - what should it be? Mad Max? Fallout? Children of Men? Canticle for Leibowitz? Zombies? Robots? Revelations? God help us, The Happening? Was it ten years ago? A hundred? Last week? Are the players nomads? Maybe one is a Chopper or a Driver. Are they stationary? Maybe one is a Hardholder or a Hocus. We could do a lot of different things, and I'd be happy MCing any of them. So please, if you're interested, say so below, and we can play together.

One last thing - this is not going to be a chat client game. We, if anyone else wants to play, will be using Skype. You won't have to show your face, if you don't want, but I will be. You will have to use your real human voice. Don't worry, it'll be my first time too.

well, that's more than enough people. heeeeere's a whenisgood. be sure to indicate your time zone. i will send you all the materials.

http://whenisgood.net/2xtqisd

if anyone else is interested, please still say so in the thread and respond to the whenisgood. if there are, miraculously, too many people available at once(this won't happen), i will descend into rank favoritism.

Alrighty then. It looks like our players will be Lilith, Goldengirl, Tan, and Sarachim. Sorry Nikki, but your schedule is a clear bottleneck. Sorry, Acta, but you didn't schedule. Sorry, Dantius, but you didn't read it was a Skype campaign.

First session of Apocalypse World will be on WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER FOURTH, 6:00 PM EST. That's in three days. We'll be doing character creation and the basics of worldbuilding, and will probably get to the start of gameplay. I expect it to last three or four hours. We'll be using the CR chat roleplaying room for rolling. Players, please send me your Skype information by PM ASAP.

First session success! Not too bad for something we came up with on the fly. Here's to schedule the next one: http://whenisgood.net/awaqr2t

And one thing I forgot to bring up: I will be recording these sessions. I won't put them on the internet or post them in this thread or anything like that, unless you're all okay with that. You may indicate whether or not you're okay with that however you like. It's just so I've got more than memory to go on. Just an FYI, don't confess to any felonies during the session. :p

best roadtrip ever

i'm fine with the recording thing, it's not that different from keeping chatlogs and people here have already seen my face anyway. (although hmm, maybe i should get a surgical mask for next session to help me get into character anyway)

should we like post our character sheets here or something?

I'm also fine with recording and posting. I'm gonna go read the New York State criminal code real quick, though. :p

Posting character sheets is a good idea. For one thing, I was furiously reading the rules while y'all made yours, so I probably missed some stuff. I'll type mine up and post it tonight.

https://www.youtube....h?v=t0Wrixd097c

Highlights of this session:

Skype dropping the call several times.

Long periods of silence as the MC thinks of stuff to say.

"Um," "You know," "Quite,"

Forgetting rules

But hopefully those will get better. The first session is something I'm explicitly not supposed to prepare for, so there will definitely be less (or less obvious) aaaaaaaa what next aaaaaa from me in the future.

i can't see that video, it's set to private

anyway, here's my character for reference

Brainer

Name: Sundown

Stats: Cool +1 Hard +1 [Hot -2] Sharp +1 [Weird +2]

2 xp

Moves:

Deep brain scan

In-brain puppet strings

Gear:

violation glove (hand hi-tech; skin contact allows use of brainer moves that normally require time and intimacy)

pain-wave projector (1-harm ap area loud reload hi-tech)

scalpels (3-harm intimate hi-tech)

oversized Kevlar-lined white coat, somewhat stained (1-armour)

oddments worth 5 barter

Look:

clinical wear (wears white coat, head-to-toe surgical scrubs and face mask at all times), concealed gender, scarred face (burns and cuts all over), dead eyes, awkward angular body (around 6'2" and skeletally thin, their clothes are hanging off them)

Hx:

Humvee +3

Batty +1

Session highlights also include (spoiler alert):

Europe isn't a thing any more.

A horrifying creature is thrown from a moving vehicle

Three people try to figure out, if they lived in a converted garbage truck, what part they would sleep in

An opportunity for motorcycle theft seems too good to be true. The team psychic uses their powers to get more information

Anyway, character sheet:

Batty

Gunlugger

Cool +2 Hard +3 Hot -2 Sharp 0 Weird 0

Moves:

Insano like Drano

Prepared for the inevitable

Not to be ****** with

Gear:

Silenced sniper rifle (3-harm far hi-tech)

SMG (2-harm close area loud)

Grenade tube (4-harm close area reload messy)

Many knives (2-harm hand infinite)

Armor worth 2-armor. Detail: If you had to guess, it looks like somebody took a piece of sheet steel and hammered it into the approximate shape of a human torso. Then Batty put it on, but people kept hammering

Oddments worth 1-barter

First aid kit, 2-stock (full)

Look:

Man, battered old armor (see above), worn face (shaved head, deep tan from a life spent almost entirely outdoors), cunning eyes, stocky body (not fat, not muscular, just thick)

Hx:

Humvee +3

Sundown +1

Calendar'd.

Character sheet:

Humvee the Driver

Cool+1 Hard-2 Hot=0 Sharp+2 Weird+1

Appearance: Woman, worn face, sad eyes, stocky body (big-boned)

Moves:

No **** Driver

Daredevil

Gear:

Casual wear (ratty, patchy sweat pants and sweatshirt)

9mm gun

2 oddments worth of bartering gear

4 motorcycles

Barrels of gasoline

Car: a converted garbage truck serving as a caravan

Capacious

Workhorse

Guzzler

Loud

Session success! The recording is uploading and will be available soon. Today, the party:

Didn't get kill or get killed by innocent corn farmers.

Sold some lightly used vehicles.

Became afraid of gasoline, but not afraid enough to do anything about it.

Got 1/3 laid.

And also, the

Skype dropping the call several times.

Long periods of silence as the MC thinks of stuff to say.

"Um," "You know," "Quite,"

Forgetting rules

got better! So that also is good.

The whenisgood is here: http://whenisgood.net/kegrn3m

Here's session 2, if you want to listen to my EXTREMELY LOUD CHAIR. Or watch the session. It's good for both of those things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1VWZQRB8iQ

Because of the way I record this, I'm never sure how much of the noise on the video gets through to the Skype call. If anything's ever annoying during the session, please do tell me. :p

• 2 weeks later...