A2:CS Early Game Leveling areas/quests

I searched the forums a bit but wasn't able to find much on this.

Where or what quests are good for the early game leveling, from the period when you first leave the starting fort on?

I ask because I keep running into enemies and quests that kill me in this area. Is there a particular quest chain or area where lower level monsters and tasks can be found?

Many thanks,

Hraffy

The nephil fort just to the east of the starting area is a good place to start. After that, you might try dealing with the spiders to the west or some of the monsters and bandits near Motrax's tunnels in the northeast. Avoid ogres and sliths until you've gained a few levels.

What you can handle when will depend on what difficulty you're playing on.

I usually start with the bandits under Ft. Draco, taking them a few at a time if necessary. The rats there, too. Then, on Normal, I can clear out the nephil fort and the Verdant Valley (or most of it). On Torment, I have to do parts of them as I can, and go back to finish them after I pick up a few more levels. On my latest run, which is on Torment, I started under Ft. Draco as usual, then did most of the nephil fort, leaving just the boss and his crew. That got me to level 4. After that... (remember, this is on Torment, YMMV)

Wandering monsters

Salamanders at Tor's place

Dark acolyte Yula in the Verdant Valley, plus main floor bandits

Upstairs bandits but not the leader in the northern room

Most of the central area of the VV, but not the lava bat in the NE corner

Level 5

Outer perimeter and lower level of VV, tricky but doable. Remember to use Daze!

At this point I went to Formello, bought some spell levels, and stole a bunch of loot.

Hidden Empire soldiers north of Formello

Wandering fire lizards - just barely. Probably could have gone into the lizard cave at this point, but I had leveled up and wanted to try some of the early bosses.

Level 6

Nephar chieftain

Bandit chief in VV, also the imps upstairs

The lava bat in VV was an epic fight, could have gone either way, but I did it.

Blasted ruins: The rats at the back door almost murdered me, but the kitties were a good challenge; watch out for the undead, though.

Level 7

Blasted ruins: The rest of the undead, and the basilisks, but not the demons.

Wandering undead, tough but beatable with some consumables

Lizard caves: lower level, and upper level until I hit the lava worms. Haha, no.

Lurking aranea near VV

GIFTS lair, after killing all the vermin I hit level 8.

Level 8

Spiders (outdoor encounter) south of the GIFTS, could have done earlier

Aranea lair: Outer ring first, definitely could have done it earlier, and that's all you need for the quest. Did manage to beat the Icy Worm, just. Well, it killed half my party though.

Aranea lair: Queen. Epic battle.

Fungal clearing, finally managed to kill the searing slimes before they got close (oh yeah, I'd tried a couple times already)

Frozen worm near slith fort.

Swampy Cave: Both the gremlins and the giant! Surprised myself. I had found the gremlins impossible at level 6.

Demons at Solberg's tower, plus the fire lizards. Cost me some consumables, but it was worth it. At this point, most of my party had reached level 9, so I used a wisdom crystal to catch my dual wielder up to the rest.

Level 9

Lizard cave: Used extreme luring to pick off the lava worms, then beat the drake, barely. Two fire attacks per turn is hardly sporting.

Ko's bandits: Had to use Daze and Call the storm to corral them and keep them off my fighters

I fought several wandering sliths but I didn't like it.

Sanctified the altar at the blasted ruins

I really wanted to get to level 10 before hitting the Dark Waters. The slith fort had been destroying me every time I tried it, but there was nothing else except ogres, so I did it a tiny bit at a time, luring them out until there was only the boss and one flinger left in the fort. I had to leave multiple times to resurrect characters. The boss took a few tries and a bunch of consumables, and in the end only one character wasn't Terrified, but I did it. That and sanctifying the altar got 3/4 of my party to level 10.

The stalking ogres got the last one over the top.

If I'd been playing on Normal, I would have been able to do the hidden ogres at that point, but on Torment that was a big bag of NOPE. For me, anyway.

It's not really spoilers in terms of plot, but I may be revealing the existence/locations of things you'd rather discover for yourself.

If you don't want to look, it's generally Ft. Draco, Nephil fort, Verdant Valley, Formello and points north, back to get any bosses you missed, then either blasted ruins or west of Ft. Draco to the GIFTS and aranea, then clean up any harder fights you haven't done yet, like Solberg's tower, the swampy cave, the slith fort, stalking ogres, etc.

You left out the non-combat quests for easy experience:

Fort Draco Message and report it back to Gridley

Harg (Inn at Fort Draco) - Deliver Marriage Proposal and report back to Harg

Inspect Barriers -

Cave of Motrax

kill lizards behind the wall for Captain Ko