Journal Record Limits

SoulScroll

I've been completely won over by Lord Vogel's masterpiece collection of games.

The writing is great, and I really enjoy collecting the lore by pressing the "RECORD" button in the journal a LOT!

I am a journal entry hoarder, but I keep running out of space and having to constantly cull out the less important entries when I really don't want to.

It makes the games less fun for me when I would like to have a huge walking library of recorded adventure sights and dialogue.

Any possible way to expand journal entry storage space?

Thanks in advance. :)

Lilith: It's certainly a functional idea in a crunch, but it would remove the immersive feel of the game for me. I suppose in the end I am just wishing for more (or even unlimited) journal record space. I can tolerate culling through junk inventory to throw out, but the journal culling really kills it for me.

It feels like I am forced to tear up good adventure stories and throw them in the trash.

Part of the fun of good adventuring for me is re-reading past heroics in detail sometimes to keep everything an authentic story throughout.

Having a list of already completed quests with the same original details as given upon acceptance of the quests would be another plus.

Spiderweb Software's staff don't generally read these forums very often, so if you want a change made to the games themselves your best hope is to email Spiderweb directly at support@spiderwebsoftware.com and hope it's implemented in future games. The only thing we at the forums can really do is give you suggestions on how to make the games work better for you in the form in which they currently exist.

Goldengirl: I'd be very afraid of using text dumps even if able to do so. I haven't ventured very far into Spiderweb's games yet and the risk of massive spoilage would be high for me.

I do feel like I am burning down a classic library of great adventure stories with these journal record deletions. I've never, ever encountered a PC game that forced me to destroy well-written lore.

I submitted an email to Spiderweb support as per Lilith's suggestion. My hopes are low given how busy Mr. Vogel must be finishing Avadon, etc.

If you want to hoard journal entries in any game excepting the original A1~3 and Nethergate, without worrying about filling it up, then just go to Programfiles x86, then whatever folder you DLed the game to. Go to data~scripts and then open up the files that end in "dlg". It has all the convos saved there. It requires some editing/formatting, but you can copy/paste everything to a word doc and save it there. That's what I've done with all of the Alwan & Greta G3 dialogue for my fic that I'm writing (Diwaniya, Celeste, Mooney, and Norrell, as well, since they make appearances in some chapters)

The size limit has to do with 8-digit binary, which is common to a lot of stuff in programming, esp. older programming. In 8-digit binary, there is a max of 256 in anything (numeric range 0~255) The 24 bit RGB color space is just one of countless examples. While there are far more than 256 colors, the maximum value for red, green, blue, hue, value, or saturation is 255, with the lowest number being 0 (thus, 256 in total)

I am doubtful that Jeff could fix this, as in all likelihood, his game engine is based on 8-bit binary. Maybe it's possible that he could find some way to double the possible entries to 510 or 512 or something, but he would have to find a way around the "reset/wrap around to zero" bug associated with it.L

Lilith: Is that the email I would use if I wanted to mention the Sholai series idea to Jeff?

Hyena of Ice: Thanks for letting me know why Mr. Vogel may not be able to raise or remove the journal entry storage limit. I am leisurely savoring Avadon I at the moment, and I can confirm the limit there is 200 entries. This supports your 8-digit binary explanation. Maybe we'll get lucky and the limit will be raised to 250?

I also checked the dlg files you mentioned, and I discovered exactly what you were talking about. Some of the files were very messy, and I started to see minor spoilers along the way so I decided to close everything again until a later time. Your explanation also answers Goldengirl's data dump question earlier in the thread.

Too much spoiler potential for me to dig into those files until I satisfactorily finish the game. I'll just grin and bear it as an annoying constraint to gameplay; still having plenty of fun so it won't break the game for me.

I received an email a couple days ago from Lord Vogel himself regarding the journal limits issue (pretty sure it was him):

"Thanks for the suggestion! This might be a quick fix. I'll look into it and see if it's possible for Avadon 3."

Awesome! This is all I could possibly ask for. The personal attention from Jeff aside from his busy schedule was greatly appreciated even if the improvement cannot be done. Thanks Mr. Vogel!