Why are the Wyldrylm so dumb???

Triumph

I feel like every single one of my encounters with the Wyldrylm so far in the game seems to involve the Wyldrylm person / people do whatever the stupidest possible thing is in that particular situation. How have they survived as long as they have? Were they this dumb in Avadon 1?

"Hey, everybody, I'm Dedrik and I'm a noob like Garzhad. I got banished for supporting the Pact, but now to get unbanished I'm gonna go slaughter some Pact soldiers! La la la! Oh, maybe I shouldn't do that, nah, it's cool, let's keep it up! Oops, somehow I didn't realize killing a bunch of Pact soldiers actually meant...killing a bunch of Pact soldiers. LOL. Oh, and I'm not actually unbanished either. Well, anyway, thanks a bunch for standing by me in my time of need, pal."

The scout's behavior also seems rather unreasonable at times. "Oh, I was fighting in one army, and then suddenly realized the people in the other army were totes def my BFFs and I couldn't fight them, but then I got punched by a giant, and then I decided to change sides to the army whose giant punched me. Maybe I've got Stockholm Syndrome or something. Whatevs. Hey, so, I know we spent a little while hiking woodland trails while I taught you nature lore, but it was totally the happiest time of my life and I'm in love with you now. Kthxbai."

And then there are various times when Wyldrylm forces attack me when it makes little sense. "Look, those heavily armed people wearing the emblem of Avadon just buried a rock by a bunch of obelisks that don't even belong to me! I better attack them! It's three on one (well, I guess I've got my pets), but I can totally take them! I mean, just standing here totally concealed and then using my trained animals to dig up and remove the magic crystal later is too unsubtle. Gotta make a statement!"

I'm wishing for a scene where a bunch of Wyldrylm get together and starting "Tradition" from Fiddler on the Roof.

I don't always like the Kva or Kellems or Dharamites I've met (speak of which, the Dharamites would sing "If I Were A Rich Man"), but they don't seem as over-the-top irrational as the Wyldrylm do. Currently withholding judgment on Holklanda.

Random gameplay question: if I report to Calan about my companions (after doing their quests), does it have any effect on the game?

Dedrik may possibly be the most frustrating character in any Spiderweb game.

I dunno, for me it was Nathalie. She somehow gets it in her head that hunting a drake on her own is a good idea, then gets all angry at Avadon because she suffered an injury from her reckless escapades.

Edit: And Rainer/Silke is just the biggest case of Stockholme syndrome I've ever seen...

The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense however you think of it.

Either

1. The scout had already defected and they pulled the scout out of a place where the scout could have been really useful as a double agent and as a recruiter for more disaffected folks (of course if you assume that the rebels are complete idiots, which based on their other actions in this game is a fairly reasonable assumption, this objection goes away)

2. The scout completely changes every one of their feelings in captivity, except for those for the PC who she had only known for a few weeks.

That said, I thought that the scout storyline added some interest to the game and was glad that it was there.

I would agree, but I have a problem with figuring out how many Hands the powerful Pact has. On one hand, it seems like a large organization that has its claws everywhere, and the odds of the PC being sent on the mission to rescue the Scout is so poor that the rebels should not even consider it. On the other hand, the Black Fortress is in such bad shape that some random person with a dagger, no clothes and a couple of weeks of scout training is the perfect person to team up with a group of nut jobs and send off on important missions.

Recruiting a hand would definitely be worth more than the random disaffected folks, but if the Black Fortress had a large enough staff to actually do anything then it would be almost impossible to arrange for the Scout and the PC to run into each other in the way that they do.

I enjoy the Avadon series, there is a lot of interesting background, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Remember that at the start of Ava2, the PC is NOT a Hand; you're just a lowly scout-in-training. It's extremely doubtful that the rebels could have predicted that the PC was going to get conscripted by Avadon and then prearranged the defection of scout in order to later recruit the PC. LOL.

The way the scout talks about how the rebels saved him / her from the titan really strengthens my tendency to read the Stockholm angle into the defection.

Remember that at the start of Ava2, the PC is NOT a Hand; you're just a lowly scout-in-training. It's extremely doubtful that the rebels could have predicted that the PC was going to get conscripted by Avadon and then prearranged the defection of scout in order to later recruit the PC.

Here's a possible sequence of events:

1) The scout is captured legitimately; the PC is ordered to travel to Avadon.

2) The scout is held for some time in the trapped lair; the PC travels to Avadon.

3) The PC returns from Avadon and spies inside Rockridge Keep discover that the PC has become a Hand; they inform Konstina.

4) Konstina immediately pulls the scout out of the lair ("rescuing") and starts to work brainwashing him/her for the sake of a planned subversion of a Hand of Avadon.

I went and looked up all the relevant dialogue. I still think it reeks of the scout being a plant. The scout INSISTS on splitting up for no particularly good reason. The justifications are the mines (which explode at just the right time to set this up) as well as the "confused" ogres that literally stand there waiting for the scout to convince you to run, rather than attacking. Then, while the titan is chasing the scout, the scout waits until they are sure you're watching, makes sure that you'll stay hidden, and only then turns to face their pursuer. And then gets punched point blank... by a TITAN... and survives. I dunno...

I don't disagree that the Scout could be a plant. I just think that if the Scout was a plant then the Scouts handlers should have left the Scout in place a bit longer to develop a stronger relationship with the PC. The timing of pulling out the Scout (assuming the Scout was a plant) just seems totally wrong to me.

• 4 months later...

I don't disagree that the Scout could be a plant. I just think that if the Scout was a plant then the Scouts handlers should have left the Scout in place a bit longer to develop a stronger relationship with the PC. The timing of pulling out the Scout (assuming the Scout was a plant) just seems totally wrong to me.

Definitely a bump but, I think the scout is just a coward. He's afraid to do anything so he does what's the least dangerous at the time.