Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

Thaluikhain

Now, it would be very easy to make a town that you had to pass through to get from one area to another.

For example, in "The Fog", there is a river dividing the map, and the bridge is a town. You enter the town on the south side of the river, and exit on the north and vice versa, you have to go through the town, there's no other way to cross the bridge.

This is something I don't recall seeing much of, however. You have exceptions like Fort Emergence in E3, which links the surface with upper exile, and a few places where you have to fight through a dungeon to get to the next part. Which seems odd, as fortresses dominating routes and preventing people/monsters moving past them would seem to be sorta the point of having them.

But it's rare to have a a route you might want to follow more than once for other reasons that requires you to enter and leave a town you otherwise aren't interested in going to.

Is this because it's annoying? I thought it could get a bit annoying in The Fog, going into town mode and out again just added to tedious traveling, but that might have just been me. And that was a fairly straightforward route through the town, didn't have to navigate windy passageways or anything.

Thinking of (finally getting round to) making a scenario in which towns you had to walk through to get places would feature. But not sure if this would be a good idea, or would cause traveling back and forth to drag.

(Also, need another word for "Aftershock", because that'd be a great name for my scenario, only it's been taken)

This happened in E3 not just with Fort Emergence, but later there is a big wall blocking entrance into Footracer Province, and another earlier on blocking another province (I can't remember which). I believe at least the earlier one can be avoid via portal in that wizard's house in Krizsan Province. E1 had a few different ways to get to the Great Cave, but the easiest way was through Almaria, exactly like you say is in "The Fog": Walk over a river bridge, no choice but to walk through Almaria, and actually you have to pay a toll too IIRC. THAT can be annoying.

I don't remember if Almaria does this, but an option could be, once you've been through town once, you have the opportunity to skip straight through it with a special node: "You've come to Hippopotamus Town again. It's a lovely town, but would you like to pass through quickly?" (Yes) (No)

EDIT: Actually I don't think there's a town, just a special encounter, at the earlier wall. I never made it to Footracer Province so I don't know about there.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

This happened in E3 not just with Fort Emergence, but later there is a big wall blocking entrance into Footracer Province, and another earlier on blocking another province (I can't remember which). I believe at least the earlier one can be avoid via portal in that wizard's house in Krizsan Province.

EDIT: Actually I don't think there's a town, just a special encounter, at the earlier wall. I never made it to Footracer Province so I don't know about there.

Footracer is via a special encounter (IIRC) yeah, and if you mean Bigail for the other one, that's because you have to go via ferry, and you don't generally flit back and forth from there anyway.

I don't remember if Almaria does this, but an option could be, once you've been through town once, you have the opportunity to skip straight through it with a special node: "You've come to Hippopotamus Town again. It's a lovely town, but would you like to pass through quickly?" (Yes) (No)

Ah, that sounds like a good idea, will consider that. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, is there a way to set the locations you end up in when you leave a town from different directions to be in different outdoor sections? For example, Fort Emergence in E3, the north exit is in Valorim, the south in Upper Exile. Cause I played around with one of those 3x1 towns straddling the border of two sections to avoid the max 8 town entries per section thing (though admittedly not for long) and didn't get it to work.

Now that I think of it, I can't think of a town in another BoE scenario which had town exists in different sections. The Valley of Dying Things had at least 3 ways to get from the underground caves back to the surface, but, IIRC, each was part of a multi layered dungeon.

Oh, is there a way to set the locations you end up in when you leave a town from different directions to be in different outdoor sections? For example, Fort Emergence in E3, the north exit is in Valorim, the south in Upper Exile. Cause I played around with one of those 3x1 towns straddling the border of two sections to avoid the max 8 town entries per section thing (though admittedly not for long) and didn't get it to work.

You can't do this directly by setting the town exits themselves, but it can be done: what you want to do is use the Change Outdoor Location special node and place it in a spot the party has to pass over while approaching the exit.