Need a new WiFi adaptor for my Linux box, don't know who else to ask

ThinkPenguin sucks and they sell sucky products. This is the third USB WiFi adaptor I've gotten from them. They die within a few months and this is on its way out now too, dropping my connection at random and slowly getting worse. The guy at ThinkPenguin keeps telling me it's my USB controller that's bad and that Dell makes bad USB controllers that send packets that are too large, and I need to change my firmware to shrink the packets, and I did that and it keeps happening anyway. Dell is a huge, reputable company and they do not make faulty USB controllers to an extent that would require special firmware replacement downloads. That would be stupid and I can't believe this guy is right.

The thing is I need hardware that will work with my Linux Mint 17.1 computer, which is why I've been buying from ThinkPenguin. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do before this adaptor dies completely? I have an open expansion bay (not sure what kind) but the computer is from 2007 so finding non-USB hardware for it may be difficult.

Oh cool, a question I can actually answer...

There are a lot of chipsets that will work with a modern Linux distro.

For my laptop-turned-router, I use a cheap one with the Ralink RT5370 chipset. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3aac6fd532

This chipset is fantastic. Strong signal, bandwidth about as good as 100 Mb/s wired ethernet.

Re the Dell wifi, the ThinkPenguin guy makes it sound like the MTU is wrong? That can be changed using ifconfig, if necessary, but I doubt it's the problem. More likely either the wifi is weak or the Linux driver is rubbish, or both.

He says what happens is the packets are too big and it overworks and kills the adaptor. It's happened to me once, and when it started happening with the second one I got a replacement, and now it's beginning again.

This is the one I got on ThinkPenguin: https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-w-external-antenna-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usbl

Accursed thing costs $45 plus shipping. I paid for two and got the third one for free because it was still in warranty. I'm no longer in warranty, I'm fairly certain. I mean holy crap though, $3.90 with free shipping on Amazon? What's the catch and why am I paying ThinkPenguin $100?! :cry:

That ThinkPenguin adapter has the same chipset as my netbook's wireless, IIRC. It should be handled with the ath9k driver. It doesn't need any firmware, and should work magnificently under Linux, going all the way back to the 2.6 kernels.

(It should also last forever and give excellent signal reception, if my netbook is any indication.)

If I were you, I would take a look at the output of the 'dmesg' command, and see if there are any errors or warnings from the wifi adapter. If you can't make head nor tail of it, post it here and I'll take a look.

As for random cheap adapters, one catch is that they may require proprietary firmware. I'm assuming you don't care about that, since you're already running Linux Mint. :) But IMO you should try to make the old USB adapter work, before chucking it and buying another. Usually these issues can be fixed in my experience.

Hmm. You're located in the US, but it's using the wifi country code for the UK. (GB is "Great Britain.") That might cause problems, not sure.

And it does need firmware apparently, but you have that already.

Hmm. Can you link the output of 'ifconfig -a'?

Edit: to be entirely clear, the USB adapter is detected by your kernel and appears to be working (though I think the country code might present an issue).

Edit 2: whoops, I missed that it switches to US later. Good.

USB adapter looks normal...

Oh oh oh wait a minute. I somehow misread that bit about USB controllers as "wifi adapter" - thought you were on a laptop! Whoops. D'oh.

Okay - are you on a desktop? Do you have the adapter plugged into a front USB port? If so, try a rear one. Front USB ports are always flaky.

(And Dell does use rubbish USB controllers in my experience, and just rubbish in general.)

Edit: USB stuff in dmesg looks normal. Also it looks like I'm really stupid today. I mean, how many laptops have that many SATA ports?

Really? Wow, thanks! What is the cost of shipping? Those things are pretty light, right?

It might be nice to have extra USB ports, but really I have plenty already and it's only the USB WiFi adapters that are having problems with my on-board USB controller, not my mouse or thumb drives or anything else, really. The guy at ThinkPenguin explained it to me once but I forget what he said.

Don't go out of your way to find that, Sylae. I've become friendly with one of my Prescription for Transportation drivers and he's going to upgrade my RAM and my PSU, as well as reseat my heat sink with new thermal paste and give me a PCI wireless NIC, for $10. Can't beat that, I guess. Thanks for the offer though, I do appreciate it.