Haakai: Avernum 1 vs Avernum 2

I just triggered a magic trap in Avernum 2: Crystal Souls, which summoned a Haakai. I remembered those from Avernum 1, and thought: "Oh [censored], a Haakai..." I ended up disposing of him with 2 out my 4 characters within the first round. I don't remember them being this easy back in Avernum 1. Then again, that was a year ago, so I may remember it wrong. So now I'm wondering, are they actually easier in CS, or must it have been something like me remembering something from when I was a group of weaklings in EftP while I'm superbuff megawarriors now?

In E3 and BoE, at least, the Wound spell does a decent bit of unblockable damage that bypasses their immunities. (It's useful against Haakai, too, at least until you get the spell that's specifically for killing demons). I'm not sure about E2; I think it did ordinary magic damage in E1, but I'm not sure there were rakshasas in E1 anyway.

I was rather disappointed in the rakshasas. I remember them as a ridiculous challenge in E3 and when I reached them in A2CS and completely trashed them in just a few turns I felt like I was missing something. I found the drake in the back of the tigers den more of a challenge then the attendant rakshasas.

I remember my first encounter with adze-Haakai in Avernum 1 in the tower of magi.

It took some serious firepower from my characters to slay him. My characters abilities were stretched to their edges by then.

Left me with an impression that there is no playing around with Haakai, they mean business!

Hehe, wouldn't probably have even survived it without Demonslayer in tow and the ability to cast mass healing and mass curing.

That Adze-Haakai... I remember that fight too. Tough as nails, he was! But nails are meant to be hit, so I hit him til he was in the ground. Indeed, thank god I had Demonslayer by then...

I don't think it's that I got more experience in Spiderweb games. I mean, I played the original Exile series, back in the days (got stuck at the Shareware Barrier, and had no idea what that meant. I was a stupid kid back then :rolleyes: ) My parties are the same in both Avernum 1: EftP and Avernum 2: CS, and so is their growth path. That's why I'm thinking they're weaker in CS.

Those Rakshasas were strange, yep. I came across some, wiped them out without even breaking a sweat, then came across some commander who claims his troops are having the worst of time fighting them. I got a harder time fighting Shamblers and Basilisks (damn their cone stun attack!) than fighting Rakshasas. I blame it on those soldiers being lazy or scared bums making up stories to justify themselves to their superiors, who don't know any better than to believe them.

That room with the orb, though... Man oh man... Triggered the first trap, used that battle skill that gives you 20 action points, ran for the chest, grabbed the orb, then ran everybody back into the corridor, a couple of twists down, and faced the horde of ridiculously tough enemies in there, fighting them off one by one. It's certain death otherwise!

Tonight, I'll be off to get the Blessed Athame. I'm curious how hard it'll be to get that one.