Self imposed permadeath rules for the un-sane

Does anybody else miss your characters actually dying in older spiderweb games? And I mean no save scumming; either you power on missing a guy or start the game all over.

What you do? I don't believe you, really? Well OK then, but don't say I didn't warn you.

I think with how the games are relatively easier now than they were back in exile (assuming your not playing on torment) that permadeath would actually be more "fun"... if it weren't for the 0hp safety-net being removed, but that was pretty abusable anyway.

Introducing permadeath: "everybody gets one"

Each character has 1 "free life", after they lose that by being KO'd you have to use a scroll of life to revive them on the spot (within 3 of your turns), or else they are actually dead.

"But what about return life spell?"

If your aren't using a mod, then I say return life is only usable once you buy level 3. I simply allow it because, (if I remember correctly), it is possible to run out of return life scrolls in the entire game and it would be lame if these rules just abruptly stopped working. Besides its often inefficient to build a priest with high enough int to revive more than 2 people in a fight easily... unless you spend a LOT of time farming mana potion ingredients.

Notice: I haven't tested this that far but if return life is too abusable we could add "you need to consume 1 ______ item in order to use it" much like in the Exile games. This also applies if you are using a mod that makes return life better in some way.

Effects of a permadeath run:

I imagine you would want to play with higher defence, this would probably break the dual wielder / mage / shields suck mold that has plagued this game for people that have to min-max but want to have options. Also those merchants that sell 1 scroll of return life will actually be cared about AND the player will have to dump gold into that instead of trainers.

I am currently doing a verrrry slow permadeath run in my current lets play-

search: A:EftP Lets play (Super Best Friends role-play)

but I'm using horribly inefficient builds in that run so its probably not a good test run.

If anybody wants to try this please post your results and feedback in this thread, good luck out there and remember:

I think one strategy would be the typical mage scum strat you seem to dislike: you make all of your characters mages/priests then try to make getting return life 3 your first priority. This strategy has the additional safety net of having all of your characters learn the return life spell, so that you're not screwed if a particular one dies. It also means that they'll all learn blink, which is great for escaping tough situations.