How is damage actually calculated in Crystal Souls?

My armor percentage right now is 85% (It's a singleton run), but the actual damage I'm taking seems to be about 25% of the attack damage or more. For example, an attack did 126 points total of physical damage, and I blocked 91 points and took 35. This is about average based on looking at a number of example attacks on my character. Why aren't I taking around 15% of the damage, instead of 25+? Additionally, there seems to be pretty big variance, with some attacks being reduced by around only 66%. Note that I'm playing on Torment, and I'm not sure how that affects this issue.

The issue is even more prevalent with my other defensive stats which are lower: for example, my cold resist is sitting at 71%, but the damage I take seems to be around 60% of the attack damage, not ~30.

Torment difficulty approximately doubles all damage received. However, the Torment multiplier isn't correctly factored in when calculating how much damage was blocked by your armour/resistances for display purposes.

For example, let's say that you take 15 damage and block 85 from a 100-damage hit on Normal: the transcript would correctly report that you took 15 damage and blocked 85. If you were hit by the same attack on Torment, you'd take 30 damage and block 170, but the combat transcript would say that you took 30 damage and blocked 70 (because the base damage of the hit was 100, even though it was really a 200-damage hit due to the difficulty multiplier).

If you had only 30% armour, things would get even weirder and more misleading. On Normal, you'd take 70 damage and block 30, and that would be displayed correctly. On Torment, you'd take 140 damage and block 60, but the transcript would say you took 140 and blocked 0 (the game is at least smart enough to realise that armour can't block a negative amount of damage). The armour is still benefiting you, but the glitch in calculating blocked damage makes it seem like it's not doing anything at all.

This is a purely cosmetic error: the actual damage numbers are what they're supposed to be, as far as anyone can tell.