Avadon on Torment is knocking me about

One Stoned Bastard

Hey people, how's it going, new member here.

So, here's my issue. I'm having trouble progressing in Avadon (really enjoying the game, by the way). It's my own fault for choosing the hardest setting for a first playthrough, but my gaming OCD doesn't let me choose anything but the hardest setting, in this game or any other. Lowering difficulty isn't really an option here.

I'm playing as Cordelia, usually in the company of Sevilin and Shima, party level 27. Focusing on the middle branch all the time, as it seems to give the biggest benefit. The idea is usually for Sevilin to buff the party and then close in, Shima to throw disks and then backstab people who get in our personal space, while Cordelia does her thing with firebolt, direct AoE attacks and healing the party with scarabs/items.

Currently, spoilers, I've come as far as the second visit to Beraza Woods. So far, I seem to have managed to force my way through the game, by luck, tactics, draining more items than I can afford, on a wing and a prayer, using all the meta-smarts I can muster, but I think I'm running out of ideas here, and I don't know how to proceed, especially now that my character is left to fend for herself. The bandits I have to face on my own for the main quest (thanks, Shagaz) hand my ass to me once I get to the stage in the cave where south is a beast trainer and north is a fork with lots and lots of bandits coming from both directions, and I can't seem to beat them even if I hit & run, summon stuff and use crystals/potions/scrolls up the wazoo.

I can avoid braving the bandit pit for now, but then I'd have to take on the second encounter with Zhossa, who also hands my ass to me, and I have to do him in with two sorceresses (I could let him escape, though), or taking on Zephyrine's challenge (she makes infuriatingly short work of my party even though I know I just have to survive her barrage of crap).

Any ideas?

The other part of building your character is to exploit dexterity to avoid getting hit in the first place. Avadon when you have dexterity at 30 or more by that point in the game works well, but in Avadon 2 this doesn't work as well as evasion drops from 5 to 2.5% per point of dexterity.

For Blademasters (Sevilin) and Shadowwalker (Shima) having high dexterity and next endurance makes you evade most attacks and give you a strong range attack.

A sorceress as your main character works well through most of the game except for a few fights. For the bandit area you can clear the whole place, but it's easier to save several times to different saves and figure out the route to take out the bandit boss. Ignore the rest and come back later with a full party. Depending upon you lock picking skill you need to head to near the map's center then go north and ignore the west side.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave any remaining sanity at the door. You will just lose it finishing the game. :)