• Announcements

• Freudian Noose

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Sign in to follow this  
Chessrook44

Let's Play Avernum 4!

Mostly spend time here looking around the lake between the Great Cave and the Tower Colony, and take a look at the surface portal.

Normally I don't post the few vlogs I've done here, but this one has a few notes about uploads and the upcoming weeks.

If A4 was not as popular as the other Spiderweb games then there won't be as many people watching the Let's Play. A1 and A2 remakes are new and hot ditto the Avadon games.

If A4 was not as popular as the other Spiderweb games then there won't be as many people watching the Let's Play. A1 and A2 remakes are new and hot ditto the Avadon games.

Aye I've learned that the hard way by keeping a view on my Analytics page on YouTube. During A1, 2, and 3, I was getting over 3k views over 30 days. Since I started A2 however, that's dipped to around 2.5k views over the same time. Not sure if it's due to A4 not being as popular, it being several months since CS came out causing interest to die down, or me just not being as interesting due to the slog the game is at times, but interest has seemed to wane.

That said, on to the next part, where we check out the region just east of Almaria.

An early upload due to being unsure if I can get it up in time in the morning.

Into the castle we go, to see at last what is happening within.

Another early episode due to reasons.

With the gates open once more we head into the city of Almaria. And it is not in good shape...

We explore a surprisingly large amount of regions in this area. I suppose there wasn't actually that much there, but some of it was interesting.

A6 has a Haste spell that hastes the entire party, right from the start of the game. This is probably the result of feedback from players of A4 and A5.

We take a look at the tunnels beneath the regions around Patrick's Tower. I'm sure there's some interesting things here.

I reserve the eighteenth slot for a special save, one used before I go into an unknown dungeon. If entering the dungeon turns out to be a fatally bad idea, I might learn this only after using the Quick Save a few times.

I reserve the eighteenth slot for a special save, one used before I go into an unknown dungeon. If entering the dungeon turns out to be a fatally bad idea, I might learn this only after using the Quick Save a few times.

Quite different from me. I never use quicksave. Normally I have one save slot, and if I go into an area with no way back I make a second save slot until I get out of it. For this LP however, I have about 12-15 save slots, moving to a different one at the end of each episode. That way if I screw up a recording I can go back to the right point to fix it.

Into Gnass we go. Sorry the episode is so short, but the illness is still in me. The things I do to keep to a schedule...

So Rentar's got her only way in protected, eh? We can get through! She's protected by pylons? Uh.... is there another way?

Actually, this isn't as bad as I thought. It's actually a bit more fun, avoiding the pylons this way and figuring the way through.

The game *should* end soon. A6 can end before you have done all the quests and exploration.

A4 has 168 zones but an eighth of them have a null zone script hence not much is happening in those zones.

The game *should* end soon. A6 can end before you have done all the quests and exploration.

A4 has 168 zones but an eighth of them have a null zone script hence not much is happening in those zones.

Heh. I am a completionist who tends to do everything. All things considered I basically have the Abyss and Northwestern tunnels left.

And... uh... I think maybe I encountered a bug of some sort...

An extra long episode today, as we not only clear out the remaining unexplored areas of the western tunnels, but also do something great.

Is a given area a dead end or is it a possibly interesting part of an unexplored area?

For a quick peek at such an area you can alter av4floorster.txt.

for "fl_blockage_type1 = #;" (where # is not zero) change it to read:

fl_blockage_type1 = 0;

Ditto with "tr_blockage_type1 = #;".

Rename av4floorster.txt to av4floorsteraa.txt. Then save the altered version of av4floorster.txt as av4floorster.txt.

To resume normal playing go into Windows Explorer, or whatever, and rename the altered av4floorster.txt to av4floorsterbb.txt. Then rename the original av4floorsteraa.txt back to av4floorster.txt. Quit the game then restart it.