Brainless Void

Am I a Nerd?

Your avatar is Faceless Void, so yes :p

Edited by sylae
I guess that's okay in southeast asia, but i'm not southeast asian so I'm not sure

so Faceless Void is a Nerd? LOL

carries are nerds by definition. as someone who is inherently buff and strong despite having almost no money, i enjoy being a feckless nerd who thinks she's real tough hiding behind a vlads and bkb. like a little vacation from being cool :cool:

By definition

a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.

or a single-minded expert in a particular technical field.

There's probably a quiz online that tells how nerdy a person is.

Good look figuring out if you're a nerd or not.

The real question is whether you're more geek or nerd, I feel, and what the difference is between the two.

For some a geek has a more negative connotation because it was a term for the guy at a carnival that bit the heads off chickens.

By definition

a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.

or a single-minded expert in a particular technical field.

That... is a terrible definition. Which reminds me that dictionaries are terrible places to look if you want to know what a word means now.

For some a geek has a more negative connotation because it was a term for the guy at a carnival that bit the heads off chickens.

I forget where specifically I learned this, probably Oddities on the Science Channel, but I believe this is a misconception. In sideshow/carnival/circus speak, a freak is someone who has a naturally shocking attribute such as someone with a deformity or who cannot feel pain, and a geek is someone who learned[//i] to do something shocking such as biting off chicken heads, eating light bulbs, doing something painful without flinching, bizarre body modification, etc. "Nerd", I think, is not actually a sideshow term at all.

That... is a terrible definition. Which reminds me that dictionaries are terrible places to look if you want to know what a word means now.

I agree up to a point. if you're looking for a technical definition (eg, a piece of academic or scientific jargon), then dictionaries, preferably of the field in question, are the perfect place to look for a definition. The provided definitions do tend to be unhelpful at best and clear as mud, but really, what else would you expect in such a case?

Nerd is nerd. Or, are there different levels? Should there?

I myself am a level 3 nerd. I would have been 4, but I took a level of Cat Lady.