Am I a Nerd?

Brainless Void

By definition

a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.

or a single-minded expert in a particular technical field.

That... is a terrible definition. Which reminds me that dictionaries are terrible places to look if you want to know what a word means now.

For some a geek has a more negative connotation because it was a term for the guy at a carnival that bit the heads off chickens.

I forget where specifically I learned this, probably Oddities on the Science Channel, but I believe this is a misconception. In sideshow/carnival/circus speak, a freak is someone who has a naturally shocking attribute such as someone with a deformity or who cannot feel pain, and a geek is someone who learned[//i] to do something shocking such as biting off chicken heads, eating light bulbs, doing something painful without flinching, bizarre body modification, etc. "Nerd", I think, is not actually a sideshow term at all.

• 2 weeks later...

That... is a terrible definition. Which reminds me that dictionaries are terrible places to look if you want to know what a word means now.

I agree up to a point. if you're looking for a technical definition (eg, a piece of academic or scientific jargon), then dictionaries, preferably of the field in question, are the perfect place to look for a definition. The provided definitions do tend to be unhelpful at best and clear as mud, but really, what else would you expect in such a case?

• 3 weeks later...