Suggestions for next series

Kref

I apologize for all the drama. I was having some problems with insomnia (thus by extension, getting my meds taken at the same time each morning) I also have a history of getting modded, warned, etc. for stuff that I didn't even realize was a violation when I posted it, and in some cases, am unable to understand how it is a violation even after I am modded and it is explained to me. I... doubt I will be leaving, unfortunately, even though I really should be banned for the drama I've caused, trouble I've caused outside of this thread, and as a precaution because I always cause trouble and violate the ToS even when I try my hardest not to.

As for what the posts included, I was bouncing off the walls about the idea of a Sholai trilogy of games that focus on exploration and include an overland map for naval exploration and combat.

The class list was pretty generic, even moreso than the D&D classlist. THe classes went something like Mercenary + Swashbuckler (warriors), Explorer + Scout (thief-- similar to your ranger, except that rather than combat specialty, his/her strong points are misc skills such as nature lore, mechanics, diplomacy, and nautical lore, and the scout would be your archer + thief class), and mage + spiritist (thought spiritist would be good for the priest class since it could apply to clerics or shamans) Also mentioned a skill for seafaring called "Nautical Lore", which would also determine the damage/hit rate of cannons/harpoon guns/whatever the dragonship in G1 was blown up with.

I was hoping that it would use the old skill system, similar to Geneforge but with maybe a couple of old-skill system Avernum skills thrown in for good measure (nature lore, maybe dual wielding, and a different division/set for magic skills than what we see in Geneforge, since obviously they're not going to use the same magic system)

EDIT: Nevermind my original post, I was posting a question in the previous page and didn't realize that there was another page where the question was answered by someone. Silly me. I really should get some more sleep and less staying up too late.

EDIT EDIT: Maybe I'm just being really sleep deprivated but is there a way to delete one's own comments to avoid unnecessary flooding of the forums such as in a case as mine? I'm trying to look around for one but am not finding it.

Third Edit.

I... doubt I will be leaving, unfortunately, even though I really should be banned for the drama I've caused...

I wouldn't be so hard on myself if I were you. I mean, you seem like a nice enough guy or gal, nice enough to apologize for the possible drama you may have caused and acknowledging in general the mistakes that you've made. Unto my experience that is a rare thing indeed on the internet, and even if I don't visit these magnificent forums too often (real life has the tendency of getting in the way) I really feel like it'd be a shame if you left. Well, that's just my two copper coins.

Clearly I missed something. You were misbehaving, Hyena of Ice? I didn't notice. I wouldn't if this was in any of the game forums for Geneforge, Avadon, Nethergate, or Great Trials anyway, I guess.

Believe me, I'm schizoaffective and I also have an alter who won't grow up past in 1998. I've been acting like an ass around here since 2001 and I haven't been banned yet. These folk are really nice and understanding. Just get some sleep, take your meds, apologize sincerely when necessary, and in general try to be more careful when you can, and I'm sure it will all be fine.

• 5 weeks later...

Also while fantasizing about a Sholai trilogy (what? I have a vivid imagination that doesn't have an on/off switch-- which BTW does not make for a good combo when I'm suffering from delusions when upset.)

I pictured the 2nd game taking place during G3, and a point where you get stuck in Dhonal W. Keep. So, appearances from Alwan and Greta (your character is off snooping around for a secret entrance to Inner Keep or something like that by him/herself, because people were getting more suspicious when the three of them snooped around together, plus Alwan sucked at stealth) You meet them at the bar, and unlike the original G3, they manage to get a room, which is where they are right now >_> You get a forced dialogue where Alwan acts nervous and agitated, which leads to the two of them are arguing about being worried about the shaper being gone for so long. After that, if you talk to them, Alwan is defensive and hostile towards you (mainly because you broke into their room) while Greta is fascinated with you because you're foreign explorers/adventurers and thus exotic. When you talk to her, Alwan keeps quipping at her for talking to you. She wants to help you out with your situation, which Alwan gets after her for, esp. for so much as thinking about going off alone with these shady foreigners.

In a later cut scene she helps you sneak onto your ship somehow (the idea is supposed to be that it's nighttime, though graphically it's probably not). As you begin to sail away, you see Alwan rush to the scene. When he realizes what has just happened, he charges across the dock with the intent of boarding your ship, but then he realizes the futility (you're already too far away) and comes to a stop on the pier-- then he draws his blade and takes a defensive position in front of Greta while yelling at her (he actually thinks THAT lowly of you, that you would try to kill someone who just helped you in cold blood) As you get further away, you see a third figure rush to them (you figure this person is your leader, but the narration mentions you're too far away to make much out of the shaper's physical appearance.)

Also, when talking to Greta, one of the choosable dialogue lines is suggesting that she come with you. She is very tempted-- and Alwan is briefly tempted as well, but she declines.

Also, during the forced convo where they argue, they play the blame game over whose fault it is that they have to stay behind. Alwan says it's her fault because of how shady she looks and acts, and she retorts that he has the stealth and subtlety of an exploding mine.

Also, I know I'm being a broken record, but the fewer and fewer sellable objects really agravates me-- it's worse and worse each subsequent game. Ever since Avadon 1, it's gotten really redundant because only a few mundane items are salable-- it gets pretty old when the only non-usable items you shove into your junk bag (that amount to cash that is) are crystals and gems...

This is esp. true in Avernum, where trade items would be big money. These are the following things that SHOULD be saleable (according to real life!!)

--Blankets (seriously, and why are they not stackable? What kind of idiot doesn't know how to stack blankets?)

--Bolts of cloth-- I miss the original A1~3 bolts of cloth of varying quality.

--Booze, even low quality crap. I mean someone will buy it.

--Board games-- chess boards/pieces are often made from carved semiprecious stone (should be saleable in Avadon, too. Dice I can understand not being sellable-- most die are made from bone, and not ivory, after all.)

--Clay bricks I think. These aren't fired clay, BTW, this is workable clay, and it should be stackable.

--I can't remember, are sacks of grain sellable in the newer games? Because these are trade items, as well.

--Seems like ink should be worth a coin or two. Whether it's processed from animals or extracted from lichens, the labor involved in its manufacture should be worth something.

--Pipes probably should be sellable again, like they were in G4. After all, it's drug periphenalia. In Avernum. Also, it was not uncommon IRL prior to the 20th century for pipes to be carved from semiprecious materials such as meerschaum, ivory, or exotic woods.

--Baskets and boards should be stackable, as should whips.

I wouldn't put too much thought into game economics. If the early game merchants are working a decent paying job selling things for tens of coins, the late game merchants must all be really stinking rich if they're selling stuff worth thousands. And the mages and trainers too, after you offload several times the Castle Treasury into their greedy paws. :mad:

And that not even to mention that they all have infinite gold to buy your scavenged items. ;) It's a good thing they never ask where you get them from. :lol:

All I know is I hope jeff makes another game like Avernum series. Geneforge and Avadon focus on the character rather than the party but even then still about party. Still it would nice to see another awesome world and one where jeff gives us choice for creating whole party rather than just said character.

--Clay bricks I think. These aren't fired clay, BTW, this is workable clay, and it should be stackable.

Bricks as a trade item? Well, yes, they'd have some value, but you'd probably want to be using something that it's well-known for being heavy and awkward to transport.

In general, I agree though, I like the idea of collecting random stuff from places to sell. OTOH, I think it's mentioned in some of the Exile games that "gold" isn't literally all in coins, it includes tradeable stuff as well.

Oh, yeah, and in that encounter with Alwan and Greta I brainstormed, you also have the following dialogue options:

--You don't like Alwan very much, do you?"

I can't remember what I thought Greta's reaction might be. I think she either dodged the question or Alwan interrupted her before she could say anything (telling her not to answer them because it was none of their business)

--You don't like Greta very much, do you?

Alwan: That is no business of yours.

The other option, not sure about the exact line, but it involves making a statement or asking a question that involves labelling their argument as a "lover's quarrel". The text would be the same no matter which you were talking to.

They both stare at you in shock, and their faces turn red. They can't believe you just said that.

Greta turns away from you in a huff.

Alwan has finally had enough of your intrusion. "Get out! Get out now!"

this ends the conversation, though you can still talk to them, and still choose that line whenever you want >:D It doesn't have an actual effect on anything.

The first game in the trilogy, I pictured taking place between G1 and G2, and begins with you being a rookie (naturally) and traveling with a captain who teaches you some basic stuff, as usual. On the way back to a Sholai port, something completely unrelated and seemingly not-very-important happens that sets the whole plot for the game.

Third game probably takes place some time after G5, with the Trakovite ending (seems like the most logical ending for the series) You never get to explore Terrestria, though you do get to explore a few of the Shaper-controlled islands. Plus there would always be a rebel or mad shaper in each game that you can take out (probably as a bonus in two games, and part of the plot in one-- first game in the trilogy would obviously be a bonus region on an island.)

There wouldn't be traits like in Avernum (the system would be closer to that of Geneforge) or as many classes (you have a choice of 2 of each class type-- 2 warriors, 2 skill monkeys, and 2 spell-casters. The skill monkeys have only moderate weapon skills save that the Scout is your missile weapons user. Also, there would be more misc skills in this game than Geneforge or Avernum-- e.g. in addition to the three Geneforge skills, you also get Nature Lore, First Aid, and Naval Lore-- naval lore handles the ship combat mode along with most of the seafaring hazards and post-battle ship repairs. First Aid and Leadership would both be needed since this series would emphasize exploration more than Geneforge. Nature Lore would work like it does in Avernum.)

Yeah, just my fantasy that I'm sure would never happen :(

Also, regarding items, where is the cheese and milk? Avernum and Avadon need cheese. Why is there no cheese? Do they have a problem with cheese? I know they have a cheese 3D model because one of the products used in the games is an ancient food pack that included a wedge of cheese (it happens to be where the bread model used from the original A1 to G5, along with the fruit model used from G1 onward comes from, so it's not an issue of being too low poly or anything like that.)

Also, regarding items, where is the cheese and milk? Avernum and Avadon need cheese. Why is there no cheese? Do they have a problem with cheese? I know they have a cheese 3D model because one of the products used in the games is an ancient food pack that included a wedge of cheese (it happens to be where the bread model used from the original A1 to G5, along with the fruit model used from G1 onward comes from, so it's not an issue of being too low poly or anything like that.)

in Avernum it's actually mentioned in-game that the cows underground live on a fungus diet that makes their milk really gross even by cave food standards. in Avadon... i dunno, maybe they just never evolved a tolerance to lactose. there are lots of places in the real world where most of the population is lactose intolerant. or maybe there are dairy products and they're just not mentioned much because they're not the focus of your life as a hand of avadon

It doesn't matter what the population of Linnaeus thinks. Redbeard is allergic to milk, so he has ensured that there is no milk.

—Alorael, who played the early beta of Avadon where there were still a couple of bottles of milk and a wedge of cheese. It really helped out with the last fight.