Keep Alwan and Greta beyond Dhonal

I replayed G3 and thought I want some fun so I played with the scripts(cheated, lol) so that I will have 15 levels of all stats and all skills from the start and as I played through, I discovered something I think is impossible in a normal play through. When I got to the docks in Dhonal (with Alwan and Greta still with me btw) leading to Gull island, i tried to cast unlock on the door leading to the docks and it opened! It allowed me to take both Alwan and Greta to Gull! And btw it also works on the docks at harmony allowing you to leave harmony w/o doing any quest. Any one had a similar experience?

The problem may come up again on Gull Island unless somehow you're able to bypass it by killing Shaper Agatha and proceeding to the Isle of Spears without killing Khyryk. Doing so will turn the rebels against you. I have never actually tried it as a pro-rebel so I don't know if Greta stays or not (seems like it would be a bug if she leaves; based on her farewell text she has no reason to be angry with you, and Alwan has no objection to killing Shaper Agatha. Then again, he doesn't have a problem with you killing Diamant, either :\)

I have no idea what this will do when you face Litalia at the Gull South Docks, though the logical assumption would be that she treats you as pro-shaper.

Also, be forewarned that if you were hoping for some dummied-out banter between those two, it does not exist after Dhonal Isle.

Sorry i forgot to put that im play as pro shaper but i bypassed lankan so i can keep greta. When i got to the gull docks the option to let greta talk to the rogue servilles was there, and after entering cultist woods, i got the conversation w/ greta that i think you will only get if you are pro rebel

Yep, right you are. I kept a save just before entering the docks so i can see the differences. It seems that if both are present, Greta's convos are the ones that will trigger. Thats worriesome though, coz Alwan will just be like a very weak thad with slightly cooler sprite in my party, lol. Well, need to play further to see what happens.

Um, can someone explain how the codes for the conversations work. Do they display in game per window of text or are they coded to display per line?

I went back to my save right just before entering the docks to see whether there are changes with the conversation with Litalia. What I did first is to take just one of them with me, dismissing the other before boarding the boat. I noticed that Litalia addresses the partner that you have, Greta being the one who is following the same path as her while Alwan is the closed-minded bloke, blah blah. Then, when I brought both of them, she addresses them both in one window of text, Greta's first before Alwan's. So I'm concluding that text are coded to appear in the game per line, unless there is text specifically coded to appear if you have both of them (but I doubt that because there is no way to power up the unlock spell powerful enough before Dhonal Docks without cheating right?)

This is off topic but as I mentioned it here, is "Dhonal Docks" a joke from Jeff? I cant say it with a straight face, everytime, lol.

Dialogue text is broken up into strings, called text1, text2, etc. By default, all strings in a given node will appear in the dialog box, but by attaching code, you can have some or all of the strings appear or not, depending on conditions. Such as who is in the party, do you have a certain item, have you completed a certain task, or what have you. This is why you sometimes get slightly different dialogue depending on what class you are.

So some strings may be coded to appear only if Alwan is with you, only if Greta is with you, only if neither is, or only if both are. Or possibly specifically if you have one but not the other. In a situation where you normally couldn't have more than one, Jeff would probably not have bothered allowing for that situation in the code, so both strings would be likely to show up, even if they make no sense together.

Thank you Jerakeen. That would explain why both text are present in Litalia's speech.

In forced conversation with the pc, Greta goes first than Alwan though. And I'm starting to doubt if I can finish the game as pro shaper. I realized I did not get the mission from Rahul to find khyryk so maybe I will not get destroy the geneforge quest too?

Well guys I have finished Gull Island and I have found out that if you finish the free the shapers quest, Greta will leave you before boarding the boat in Khor's Deeps going to Isle of Spears. Here is a picture of that conversation because I am probably the first one to see it.

http://postimg.org/image/ud4yxfsbn/

I will try to replay Gull Island without saving shaper Agatha and the others and see if I can still take both of them with me to Spears.

Edit: Hmm, I think this convo is possible if you are pro-rebel and then save Agatha? Enlighten me please if anyone knows.

^^Try killing Agatha and then using her key to access the docks (she will drop a key to the Khors Deeps docks when you kill her).

This will make the rebels hostile, but I don't know if Greta will leave you or not since the freed Shapers won't massacre the Spire serviles (since they're, you know, dead). Of course, killing Agatha makes Khyryk hostile, so you'll want to get whatever training/etc. you want from him first and then avoid him like the plague.

Note that if you kill Khyryk, then Alwan will leave you.

The Isle of Spears is going to be weird either way... O_o

Interesting. That makes sense. In a normal game, how you handle the Creator on Dhonal causes Greta or Alwan to leave, but you aren't actually locked in to Rebel or Loyalist until leave Gull, so it makes sense that you might chose one side on Dhonal but end up choosing the other side on Gull and alienating that side's companion. I'll be interested to know if you can work a way to get to Isle of Spears with both companions. I didn't realize freeing Agatha would have that effect on Greta - I was pretty sure the decisive choice on Gull Island was whether or not you kill Khyryk before you go to Isle of Spears (i.e., no matter what you did, if you left Khyryk alive when you clicked the boat to Spears, you were set as a Loyalist, and if you had killed Khyryk before you clicked the boat to Spears, you were set as a Rebel).

Interesting. That makes sense. In a normal game, how you handle the Creator on Dhonal causes Greta or Alwan to leave, but you aren't actually locked in to Rebel or Loyalist until leave Gull, so it makes sense that you might chose one side on Dhonal but end up choosing the other side on Gull and alienating that side's companion. I'll be interested to know if you can work a way to get to Isle of Spears with both companions. I didn't realize freeing Agatha would have that effect on Greta - I was pretty sure the decisive choice on Gull Island was whether or not you kill Khyryk before you go to Isle of Spears (i.e., no matter what you did, if you left Khyryk alive when you clicked the boat to Spears, you were set as a Loyalist, and if you had killed Khyryk before you clicked the boat to Spears, you were set as a Rebel).

well, I've found a way to bypass quests again to open the docks. You just have to avoid freeing Agatha or killing Khyryk. I realized I can open the docks at Khor's Deep using my super uber Unlock spell ^^. Well, I'm taking both to spears now :)

This is so weird! LOL. I wonder if there are any triggers that can cause one of them to leave your party...actually, I just wonder which side the game will consider you to be on! Normally when you arrive on Isle of Spears your faction is locked in...if avoid doing the quests the set your alignment, what will you be?

When I went to spear I was attacked by the Drakon. Makes sense because Im playing as loyalist. Maybe after I finish this game I will start a new one where I will try as much as possible to be unaligned. The only problem that I see here is how you will leave the first Island. Based on your dealings with the creator there will put some points into loyalist or rebel.

G3 doesn't have "points" as a Rebel or Loyalist. There are simply certain decision points that set your course. If you clicked on the boat to go to Isle of Spears and hadn't killed Khyryk, then no matter what else you'd done in the game up to that point, in terms of rebellious acts, you were locked in as a Loyalist. (At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it is; it might be possible that some action on Dhonal's Isle could lock you as a Rebel (killing General Greiner, maybe?), I'm not 100% sure.) I do know that nothing you do on the first two islands really affects your affiliation (it can influence how certain people feel about you, but doesn't have any bearing on whether you are considered Rebel or Shaper for the endgame). You can play the entire game as a fanatically devoted Shaper Loyalist, but then kill Khyryk before you take the boat to Isle of Spears, and you'll be set as Rebel.

G3 doesn't have "points" as a Rebel or Loyalist. There are simply certain decision points that set your course. If you clicked on the boat to go to Isle of Spears and hadn't killed Khyryk, then no matter what else you'd done in the game up to that point, in terms of rebellious acts, you were locked in as a Loyalist. (At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it is; it might be possible that some action on Dhonal's Isle could lock you as a Rebel (killing General Greiner, maybe?), I'm not 100% sure.) I do know that nothing you do on the first two islands really affects your affiliation (it can influence how certain people feel about you, but doesn't have any bearing on whether you are considered Rebel or Shaper for the endgame). You can play the entire game as a fanatically devoted Shaper Loyalist, but then kill Khyryk before you take the boat to Isle of Spears, and you'll be set as Rebel.

well thanks for the info. I'll just try to start again and see what happens.

I don't think the unlock cheat was necessary. Like I said, all you had to do was kill Agatha and take her key, which results in the same hostile welcome on the Isle of Spears. Granted, she's not exactly an easy opponent, and I'd hate to imagine how nightmarish she'd be in Torment mode, though having an extra party member would definitely make the battle easier.