Effect of Dread Curse in A2:CS

I've been searching, but I don't see anywhere in the forums where the actual effect of the Dread Curse in A2:CS is explained. As far as I can tell, it isn't a penalty to your characters' effectiveness anymore. It seems to undo stuff you've done. I saw that I lost the Runic Blessing (or whatever that one was called for Sanctifying the altar in Elderan's tower). I seem also to have lost the Blessed Athame, as I know I collected that from the Halls of Chaos, but I am still unable to read the Move Mountains book in the Slith fort (had to figure out on here that was where my troubles were with that spell book as there is nothing in game to point you to that answer).

I picked up a Dread Curse for reading that stupid book in Elderan's tower and went straight back to the Tower of Magi and got it removed, but stuff seems to have been undone. I found at least one other altar I'd sanctified had been reset.

I've been searching, but I don't see anywhere in the forums where the actual effect of the Dread Curse in A2:CS is explained. As far as I can tell, it isn't a penalty to your characters' effectiveness anymore. It seems to undo stuff you've done. I saw that I lost the Runic Blessing (or whatever that one was called for Sanctifying the altar in Elderan's tower).

The Runic Blessing is temporary: it always wears off on its own eventually. There are other ways to get it if you want it back.

I seem also to have lost the Blessed Athame, as I know I collected that from the Halls of Chaos, but I am still unable to read the Move Mountains book in the Slith fort (had to figure out on here that was where my troubles were with that spell book as there is nothing in game to point you to that answer).

Check your special items list. If the athame isn't on it, you might wanna go back to the Halls of Chaos. Is it possible you got the athame and then reloaded to a savefile from before you got it or something?

I picked up a Dread Curse for reading that stupid book in Elderan's tower and went straight back to the Tower of Magi and got it removed, but stuff seems to have been undone. I found at least one other altar I'd sanctified had been reset.

Again, I think a more likely explanation is that you reloaded to a savefile from before you'd sanctified the altar. In every previous game, Dread Curse was a small penalty to accuracy and damage on all your attacks, and I doubt that that's changed dramatically in A2:CS.

I went back in and looked, and I have the Blessed Athame still. I'm not sure WHY I can't read that other spell book, then. Something flaky. I'm pretty certain about the altar, though, as it was for a quest and I'd completed that quest MUCH earlier in the game. I'll go check a few more.

EDIT: Hm. Now I'm not sure what's going on with stuff. I'm probably just looking in the wrong place again for this stupid Move Mountains book. I'll go reread your topic on spell locations and see what I'm screwing up.

I went back in and looked, and I have the Blessed Athame still. I'm not sure WHY I can't read that other spell book, then. Something flaky.

Hmmm. What exact message do you get when you try to read the spellbook?

I'm pretty certain about the altar, though, as it was for a quest and I'd completed that quest MUCH earlier in the game. I'll go check a few more.

Even if you did already sanctify the altar, I'd say it's more likely to be a bug with the altar itself than something to do with Dread Curse. After all, unsanctifying an altar would actually be a benefit, since it'd just mean you could get the experience from sanctifying it again. (Can you sanctify the altar again if you try, or is it just that the terrain has reverted back to being an altar but nothing happens if you cast Sanctification Ritual on it?)

The most likely answer is that I'm looking in the wrong place. And I probably am confusing which altar this is that I thought I'd already sanctified (the one in the small Slith settlement south of the spirit that was killed by them). I've been playing the game in a very wandering manner. My Arcane Lore (base, no bonuses) is 16.

Correct. Between my mage and my priest I have 16 Arcane Lore before you add in Sage Lore and Vahnatai Lore. But, I found the answer. I was looking in the wrong slith outpost for the spell book I wanted. I confused the hidden sliths for the serpent cult sliths. Now all is right with the world. In the mean time, I did test out the answer from another topic about Dread Curse and you can just go ahead and do evil stuff while you're cursed and get cured once and it's all gone. Avernum is much poorer for it, but my party is wealthier.

Correct. Between my mage and my priest I have 16 Arcane Lore before you add in Sage Lore and Vahnatai Lore. But, I found the answer. I was looking in the wrong slith outpost for the spell book I wanted. I confused the hidden sliths for the serpent cult sliths. Now all is right with the world. In the mean time, I did test out the answer from another topic about Dread Curse and you can just go ahead and do evil stuff while you're cursed and get cured once and it's all gone. Avernum is much poorer for it, but my party is wealthier.

For the Secret Sliths book, you need to perform a ritual with the pools nearby before you can read the book. Touch all three of the pools and you're good to go.

For the Secret Sliths book, you need to perform a ritual with the pools nearby before you can read the book. Touch all three of the pools and you're good to go.

Yeah, I figured that one out (noticed the kneeling pads), which was how I got to test the Dread Curse thing. ;-) Anyway, now I'm busily running around to find all the annoying little mounds of rock I couldn't remove before in the game and getting those last little bits before I do the other two game winning quests. I'd already rescued all three Crystal Souls before I even got around to looking this stuff up.