Do bows increase your chance to crit with spells?

And, in a more general sense, are melee and spell hit and crit combined? In some games they are separate. If I equip a bow on a caster, will they receive 10% higher chance to crit with spells? Or if I equip a caster with a 5% hit weapon, will it affect their spell hit? Thanks.

If I equip a bow on a caster, will they receive 10% higher chance to crit with spells?

Yes. As far as I can tell, Lethal Blow only affects melee attacks but all other critical hit bonuses seem to affect all attacks equally.

Or if I equip a caster with a 5% hit weapon, will it affect their spell hit?

Yes, and if they're a mage it'll also increase the amount of armour they can wear while still being able to cast spells.

Oh, and some weapons have their critical bonus listed as "Attack does critical damage (X%)" instead of "+X% to critical hit rate". The former only applies to attacks with that specific weapon; the latter applies to all attacks.

What about Bow of Storms with 50% bonus? Is that just to its own damage? It still looks weak and useless if I'm not using bows to attack. Am I right?

Correct. It's honestly not that great even if you are using bows to attack.

Yes. As far as I can tell, Lethal Blow only affects melee attacks but all other critical hit bonuses seem to affect all attacks equally.

Have their been any experiments done to examine what Lethal Blow works for? I had always assumed that it impacted the critical hit percentage of at least melee/pole and bows/thrown (since it can be reached from either side of the weapons skill tree). I had guessed that it was also impacting the magic critical hit percentage, since that seems to be how most things work in these games - but I'm less confident of that.

From other thread:

* Lethal Blow (OK for warriors)

Each point adds 3% to your critical hit chance. A critical hit multiplies your damage by 150%, but this is AFTER the regular damage multiplier is applied. This means that each point of Lethal Blow ALWAYS increases your average damage by 1.5%, whereas the actual impact of Blademaster and Dual Wielding eventually drops: if your damage bonus is already 150%, adding another 3% is effectively adding 2%; and adding 2% for Dual Wielding skill is effectively adding less than 1.5%. With the right items, skills, and buffs, it is easier than you think to reach 150% even for dual-wielders with their -20% penalty. For this reason, Lethal Blow is actually better than Dual Wielding.

Damage outpost spells

4) Lethal Blow. +3% chance of a critical hit; given percentage bonuses from Spellcraft and the like, this is the equivalent of +2% damage. Good, but requires multiple other skills spellcasters don't care about.

Damage outpost weapons

5) Lethal Blow. +3% chance of a critical hit; given percentage bonuses from Blademaster and the like, this is the equivalent of +2% damage. Good, but also requires Quick Action.

But it was about A:EFTP.

Have their been any experiments done to examine what Lethal Blow works for? I had always assumed that it impacted the critical hit percentage of at least melee/pole and bows/thrown (since it can be reached from either side of the weapons skill tree). I had guessed that it was also impacting the magic critical hit percentage, since that seems to be how most things work in these games - but I'm less confident of that.

Oh, it probably also affects missile attacks -- I didn't test those. I've tested it with AoE spells though and noticed no increase in critical hit rate. Slarty suspects that if it does work on spells, it only works on single-target ones: I haven't tested those yet because it's more of a pain to get enough data.

In AEFTP there is data that makes it pretty clear it works on single-target spells, but we didn't think to try AoE spells separately.

It's really not much of a pain, just take off anything that increases crit chance otherwise, whack 20 creatures with Bolt of Fire, edit Lethal Blow up to 10, and whack another 20. That won't provide exact data but it should be enough to suggest an increase from 5% to 35%, or not.

Archived