The lower SW area leads to the area under the NW part (the entire western basement is one big room/area). To get there though, in addition to killing the beasties right at the bottom of the steps you have to get through the maze in the SW area (it's been a while so I don't remember exact details). Doors/walls will open if you walk through/past certain points moving in a certain direction which leads to other points which need to be moved past in a certain direction which leads to other points which.... it takes a while to figure out/make it through the maze. Once through it though, iirc all that is left is a decent fight with 3 reasonably strong giants & then you have access to the three storage areas (one of which has the athame - again iirc).

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have been walking around the Halls of Chaos for like two hours, which is probably two weeks in game time. I can't find the lab. I have been through the maze with the secret doors and reached the gate where it tells me I need a a key. I have found the three mundane items, put them in the chests, and pulled the levers. In fact I pulled the levers, then later not knowing what else to do I pulled them twice more. I haven't seen any trash pit.

Heeeeeeeeelp

Ok, I have been walking around the Halls of Chaos for like two hours, which is probably two weeks in game time. I can't find the lab. I have been through the maze with the secret doors and reached the gate where it tells me I need a a key. I have found the three mundane items, put them in the chests, and pulled the levers. In fact I pulled the levers, then later not knowing what else to do I pulled them twice more. I haven't seen any trash pit.

Heeeeeeeeelp

When you pull the levers in the outer hallways, the crystals next to them change colour. You have to pull the levers so that the crystals next to both of them turn the same colour, which will open one of the two gates in the northeastern building. Turn them all blue and the gate leading downstairs to the lab will open; turn them all orange and the gate leading downstairs to the trash pit will open.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the three mundane items available to be found in the hall of chaos. I have been carrying two of them around for a while but not the abacus. I have had a number of these over the game but have sold them all. Went back to the earlier cities and cannot find one!

Just found a post elsewhere here that answered my question.

Edited by Snowwhite