Loving Crystal Souls

Well, I am REALLY loving Avernum 2: Crystal Souls.

It has all the good aspects that the original Avernum 2 has, plus the added bonus of improved gameplay and vastly improved graphics. I also enjoy how things like quickfire, salamanders making fire around them, etc. has made a return. And how some spells like the one to collapse walls and the one to sanctify altars also made a return.

Two things bummed me though, though they are really minor things. Firstly, Hydra's being replaced by Hellhounds. Secondly, Chitrachs(I can never spell their name), now looking like scuttlers, even though in Avernum 5 and 6(unsure of 4, played it so long ago), they looked basically like they looked in the original 3 avernum games. But besides that, I am loving this game, and it is an excellent game!

I actually came to the forums just to see if anyone else missed the Hydras. Hydras were a really cool thing that set apart the Vahnatai lands and hellhounds feel a bit generic. I realise it's only a very minor gripe but I was looking forward Dark Waters section where you help the hydras fight off the chitrachs and I was way more dissapointed than I had any right to be when there were hellhounds instead. I miss my many headed lizard bros.

It is cool that quickfire and ritual of santifiction are back. I like the fact that some of the elements of the Exile games came back and I'm really enjoying the game so far.

What were the hydras like in Avernum 2? Any abilities that made them unique?

They had multiple attacks per round, although that's not exactly unique, since enemies with claw attacks like giant lizards had the same. There were also pyrohydras and cryohydras, which were stronger versions with elemental immunities and breath weapons.