A2:CS on Windows 7 Intermittently Freezes

skcolb

I'm having an issue consistently with Avernum 2: Crystal Souls on Windows 7 SP1 where gameplay will freeze intermittently for a few (5 to 30) seconds. During the freeze, nothing on the screen will move, and the cursor will turn into the Windows 7 spinning circle until the freeze is over.

This happens with some regularity in the following scenarios:

1. Saving, either autosave or right after I click the checkbox to save the game.
  2. During combat, right after the hostiles have all taken their turn, just before it is my party's turn to go.

It also happens randomly while walking around. I don't think I've ever had it happen while in a conversation or looking at items though.

Any ideas what might be going on? Thanks!

The game freezes sometimes like that in the Mac version too. It seems to be related to memory problems where the game is saving information, loading map information from nearby zones, and graphics loading.

I've had it happen when the game is loading special effects for a spell.

There is no predicting when it will happen because I've had the game save without slowing down and sometimes taking a long wait.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Trust me, you won't miss it. :)

We just added a "General Tech Support" post to the top of the forum. Be sure to take a look at it. I really think it will help your problem.

- Jeff Vogel

Hi Jeff! Thanks for responding. Since I've got you here, I'll tell you that I'm really enjoying Avernum 2, just as I did the Avernum 1 remake. My last Spiderweb Software game prior to that was Exile III in the late 90s and so it's good to finally get the backstory.

Anyway, I've tried some of the things mentioned in that topic and also on the support page. I should also mention that I have the game through Steam.

The following things did not work:

1. Restarting my computer.
  2. Uninstalling and reinstalling the game.
  3. Updating my graphics card drivers (although it was a good thing to do).

I then downloaded the demo so that I could try the DirectX version of the game. It gets a little weird here -- it still happens while saving, but seemingly less frequently. I haven't done a whole lot of testing though because my save file is beyond where the unregistered version can play (it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that was why the screen was black). I'll update here when I have more information. My uninformed hunch though is similar to Randomizer's, that it seems to be related to memory/file access.

Also I noticed that 2560x1440 in DirectX doesn't work (the executable crashes) and the artwork colors are no bueno.