Weird (Buggy?) Things

Yeah, you have to go further than that. Walking to the Tower of Magi and back should do the trick ...

Alternatively engaging into a battle with a group of wandering monsters (outdoors encounter) will force all of the other wandering monster groups to disappear (reset). At least that's what I've come to notice. And it's a refreshing change from the original Avernum 2: when you'd see multiple groups of hostile creatures (i.e: Dark Wyrms etc) between you and your boat, you just knew you were absolutely done for... :p

Alternatively engaging into a battle with a group of wandering monsters (outdoors encounter) will force all of the other wandering monster groups to disappear (reset). At least that's what I've come to notice. And it's a refreshing change from the original Avernum 2: when you'd see multiple groups of hostile creatures (i.e: Dark Wyrms etc) between you and your boat, you just knew you were absolutely done for... :p

Just an FYI, I think this only works if you are near said wandering monsters. It's so you dont come out of battle weakened w/ no mana and have another battle right away. Haven't tested how far it works, but I guess I coulda just waited by the Nephil shrine till I found a random battle and sailed back.

The dialogue for the wandering Empire spies in the western Great Cave is blank (you only see "OK." in the dialogue popup window) - at least if you encounter them before encountering the Avernite patrol that mentions them elsewhere in the Great Cave (which is what happened in my playthrough).

Interestingly enough, I encountered the same thing when getting into a fight with some Sliths next to Dranlon:

2w5r5ev.gif

Haven't tested how far it works, but I guess I coulda just waited by the Nephil shrine till I found a random battle and sailed back.

I haven't tested it either, but I'll try to keep my eyes on it, if I remember. If I had to take a wild guess right away, however, I would like to say that the range would propably be maxed around the party's theoretical view range, not excluding areas that the party can't directly see because of physical obstacles (cave walls, mostly).

I'm doing a playthrough on torment right now.

I was in Egli and suddenly a random quickfire ripped through the town. I was in a room trapped and it killed Aldous and Cordelia. I had to bail myself out with the ctrl+d returntostart code which dumped me in Formello, so I had to travel all the way back (not a huge deal since I'd cleared the whole way there).

Went back to Egli and everyone in town was dead, including Rentar. Had to reload a save from a few hours prior.

This happened to me in Bonegnawer Cave too the other day but, it's not like it killed anything important in there so it wasn't a big deal that time.

It was reported as an irreproducible bug during beta testing. It's trying to find the trigger, that's the problem since there are only a few places in the game that use quickfire: Test of Speed, Angierach, Kothtar's fire testing area, Tower of Elderan's top floor purity area, roof of Orantha Ziggurat, Sulfras Lair, and Dolthar treasure room.

It's a fantastically hilarious (not to Jeff or the Player!) bug - out of all the random terrain that could spawn (water, walls, statues etc) - it's the one that can self-reproduce and destroy everything.

Since quickfire is only useful in a few places it's weird there is no location white-list as a backup.

e: I miss having a quickfire spell (and wall of swords etc), but the game is a bloody good sucessor imo.

Okay, this is definitely a bug. After I return Caffren-Bok, Wilvron-Bok is supposed to teach me the third level of Ward of Steel. I get the dialogue, but not the spell level. Grrr.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: Er, nevermind. Apparently I had to wait a tick for the spell to actually sink in.

Okay, this is definitely a bug. After I return Caffren-Bok, Wilvron-Bok is supposed to teach me the third level of Ward of Steel. I get the dialogue, but not the spell level. Nothing in the text box about it either. Grrr.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Because of the way learning spells is implemented, you don't actually learn any spells from Wilvron-Bok until after you end the conversation and walk away. If you do that and still don't get the spell, then I dunno what's going on.

• 3 weeks later...

My party has twice become invinsible:

1st time in Nephil's lair after reading that book east from dining hall (had already cleaned whole place) and entering into that dining hall and leaving hall made party visible. Leaving dungeon and re-entering solved that.

2nd time was after 1st usage of ToM portal (came back from Pyrn-quest) and noticed it in the garden. Again leaving and entering solved invinsibility-problem.

Sometimes when fighting against Giants I don't hear sound when one of them clubs member of party (not even hit missed sound). No idea what causes that.

My party has twice become invinsible:

1st time in Nephil's lair after reading that book east from dining hall (had already cleaned whole place) and entering into that dining hall and leaving hall made party visible. Leaving dungeon and re-entering solved that.

2nd time was after 1st usage of ToM portal (came back from Pyrn-quest) and noticed it in the garden. Again leaving and entering solved invinsibility-problem.

This was seen in beta testing especially in the ToM garden north of the portal. The cause is drawing too many items in a large screen display. It's why this game doesn't have a full screen display version.