Weird (Buggy?) Things

First, my keyboard seems to stop functioning for no obvious reason (with the result that, for example, I can't push the key to bring up my inventory screen).

Second, the map looks...like the edges might be cut off? Am I imagining that?

Third, are two boxes of text during the intro: first this, and second this. The order in which the paragraphs appears seems...strange. It would much more naturally if it were paragraph 1, paragraph 3, paragraph 2, paragraph 4. I could be totally wrong about this, but reading the intro this section just jumped out at me as feeling awkward.

The map is fine and as you play through the game you will see the corners match Avernum. It's all in your head or maybe your screen resolution is making it look like the wrong perspective.

Sometimes the keyboard input isn't registering because the game is doing something like Autosave or some other graphic input that blocks it. I have that happen occasionally and other times it will work fine doing the same thing.

I experimented. Something is wrong with the map. When I play the game in a window, it get that square map image I linked above. The sides of the map are cut off! I confirmed this when I tried playing the game in full-screen (non-window) mode, and I was able to see the whole map! Is this a bug worth reporting somewhere?

I experimented. Something is wrong with the map. When I play the game in a window, it get that square map image I linked above. The sides of the map are cut off! I confirmed this when I tried playing the game in full-screen (non-window) mode, and I was able to see the whole map! Is this a bug worth reporting somewhere?

May as well email it to Spiderweb; make sure to document it with screenshots and a clear explanation of what's going on and how it differs from what you expect.

While we're reporting weird behaviour, here's something I've noticed: if you have exactly 2 spell points left, you can't cast Cure Poison in combat (the game will tell you "You can't cast any priest spells right now"), although it works fine out of combat. I'm playing the Windows version, in case it matters.

You are totally right about the paragraph order.

Without checking, I strongly suspect the Cure Poison problem is the result of a discrepancy in the Cure Poison definition.

My own guess would be that it checks whether you have enough energy to cast Minor Heal (which costs 3 spell energy), and if you don't it assumes you don't have enough to cast anything, forgetting that Cure Poison only costs 2.

Here are a few minor errors.

1. When talking to Tor in the Gunston Homestead, this dialogue only shows up if you a nephil in the party (rather than a human, which is what would make sense):

OVPtr7K.png

2. Dikiyoba got the quest "The Vahnatai Ritual" to do the Ritual of Welcoming from Bon-Ihrno. Dikiyoba completed the ritual and proceeded to go to Oglai and bring down the barriers without speaking to Bon-Ihrno again. Now Dikiyoba can only tell him that the barriers are down and is unable to complete the quest.

I have a very minor issue to add to the list. While bashing my head on Brigand's Madhouse (darn you, gazer! Your death was too quick), I ran into this guy politely chilling where his boss died.

FriendlyBanditA21-18-15_zps1d7c4684.png

I recall someone mentioning finding a friendly giant spider under Fort Draco in the demo version. Maybe it's related? This isn't the demo, though, it's the Windows v1.0. So maybe not. Either way, this seemed like a place to put it.

Third, are two boxes of text during the intro: first this, and second this. The order in which the paragraphs appears seems...strange. It would much more naturally if it were paragraph 1, paragraph 3, paragraph 2, paragraph 4. I could be totally wrong about this, but reading the intro this section just jumped out at me as feeling awkward.

Posting late on this, but I immediately noticed this as well, and agree it should be fixed.

Saw something odd in the early kitty fort. Enemy zipped around a corner, presumably taking an alternate route to get at my back line. Sent my tank racing around the corner to catch him... only to find the enemy was IN a wall. I could tell he was there by the red outline squares around him, but couldn't get at him in any way. Next turn, sure enough he comes out of the wall and bee lines for my back line...

I'm guessing the hide in walls things wasn't intended? :)

I just found my way to the Empire portal area, fought my way through the various gates, and got to the point where you need something to let you fly. The text informing I needed to do so was entirely blank: the window came up with no text sans the "1- OK" to continue. Fortunately the quest I acquired at the time basically summed up what I needed to do anyway. I was a doof and didn't take a screenshot, but I assume all you need to do to remake the error is go there safely without a certain Orb.

I went back to the start location after adventuring around a bit, and attempted to look through the storage tunnels again. There's a door that I can't get through because of a message suggesting I put a helmet on first.

I have much better helmets on now, I don't have those old poor leather helmets any more, but I'm guessing it might be checking for that?

Minor typo in the initial nephilim castle - the nephar chieftan's dialogue has him shaking his "hand" instead of his "head" (the latter makes more sense in context).

Speaking of which - no offense, Slarty, but I think you've misspelled "retroactivity" in your sig. Obviously not important; I'm just nuts.

Minor typo in the initial nephilim castle - the nephar chieftan's dialogue has him shaking his "hand" instead of his "head" (the latter makes more sense in context).

Speaking of which - no offense, Slarty, but I think you've misspelled "retroactivity" in your sig. Obviously not important; I'm just nuts.

No, that's on purpose. It's a blend of retroactivity + radioactivity.

I'm walking around outdoors and suddenly I notice 3 of my party is continuing on, while the forth stands still (sort of, legs moving but going nowhere). Apparently they stop for potty breaks in this game? Would have been polite for the rest of the party to stand guard.

"Wait up guys!"

That one I wanted a screen shot for, but couldn't figure out how to take it (full screen mode). Print screen and paste from clipboard didn't work. Is there a print screen command implemented in the game?

Wow, I completely forgot that was my signature. (I have them turned off. You get so many more posts in the same amount of space that way.) By the way, how do you feel about unleashing a mon-- AHHHHHHHHHH HTML IS BROKEN NO MORE RETRIOACTIVITYSPEAK

Guess I was more prophetic than I realized. Retrioactivity was in the air for UBB, but it's not in the air for IPB.

On the weird-not-buggy front...there's someone named Angarahad in Silvar, and someone else named Angarahad in Fort Remote. Is there something significant about that? It's a lovely but rather uncommon name, and it's atyptical for Jeff to use the same name multiple times in the same game (unless there's some sort of humor to it? Like the two Bills in the Tower of Elderan?). Was this just an odd oversight or does it mean something?

No it doesn't -- your canon is on my side:

"3.2 Can I use characters from Exile: Escape from the Pit?

No. Exile II takes place several years after the first game. Also, if you could bring in your earlier characters, they'd be WAY too powerful. Fortunately, there's nothing stopping you from creating a party like the one you played in the first game."

Surely a bigger issue is that the Escape from the Pit party is on the surface, and therefore unable to go on underground adventures?

Dikiyoba imagines that the EftP party is dead or imprisoned by the time Crystal Souls happens. The original party is clearly bad at keeping a low profile and will eventually attract unwanted attention. Someone will figure out they were Empire Hawthorne's assassins eventually. 4 to 6 people fighting against the full might of the Empire is not likely to go well, no matter how powerful those 4 or 6 people are.

I might have a bug with the rampaging Ghasts quest. I'm pretty sure I took care of them early, then went up to Silvar and got the quest to remove them from the job board.

Talking to the person who is supposed to give the reward doesn't register it. No sign of the Ghasts mob anywhere around that undead cavern area.

Any ideas how to fix?