Stuck in Avernum 6

Netherworld

So I have been playing Avernum 6 over the last few days and I've enjoyed it so far, but now I'm stuck. It's the part in the Abyss where you need to access Bargha's Jail to get Melchanion's message. I already watched the Barghan soldier go through the secret door and the game gave me the message of how he made the secret door appear so I walk to where he was and nothing is happening. I already had the conversation with Overbye in Bargha about the secret door to the northwest so I don't know why my characters aren't making the secret door appear like the Barghan soldier. I hope I haven't done something to break the flow of the game and make it impossible to progress because I would hate to have to start again. What should I do to complete this quest?

If you wait another soldier will appear and go through the same procedure. It should have worked the first time if you got a message where you saw how to use the secret door. At worst leave the Abyss and return to try again. This game uses stuff done flags to advance the quests and somehow it didn't work.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Otherwise it will slowly leak out as you try to figure out the game. :)