The Inevitable End - Should I keep playing?

It's something that happens to me in virtually every RPG I play. When the end is in sight, when development of my character ceases... I lose interest. It happens with all the Avernum games I've beaten, it happened with Geneforge 1 (albeit the design of that game made development a little uninteresting quite early on)- but with Avernum 1-3 I've pushed on and beaten all 3.

I think it hit me in Nethergate much earlier than in A1-3. Probably because the possibility of character growth through training was much greater- but there was so little payoff (there's like NO MONEY in this game! 75%+ of possible training will not be used with a full party, it's painful).

It's gotten to the point where I'm not paying any attention to the loose ends that I haven't fully explored, I'm not bothering to loot many things, I'm barely paying attention.

Getting to the end of a game is rough for me.

I'm not sure if I should just stop and maybe come back and beat it later. I don't know if it's worth sticking through it at this rate.