Dawn of Worlds OOC 2

Sudanna

Remember this? Let's try that again.

Dawn of Worlds is a system that turns worldbuilding into roleplaying. Starting with a blank map, players create a world filled with interesting terrain, races, civilizations, and history. Players take on the role of gods shaping a new world through various stages of development. I'm aiming for about six players, but if more people than that want to play, I'll draw straws. Express your interest in this topic, and after a few days to let anyone interested apply, we'll start. This is a forum-based play-by-post game, not an IM one.

Before you join - this is both roleplaying and a game. Other players will not necessarily have the same idea in mind for the shape this world is supposed to take. Don't expect to be able to act on all of your ideas, don't get too attached to anything, and don't be surprised if someone kicks over your sandcastle. That said, this is primarily a collaborative game, not a competitive one. The goal is to make an interesting world, not to beat everyone else. Roleplay your gods in interesting ways, make both friends and enemies, but don't be a dick. If someone saves up 22 points to create a race in the first age, don't throw a meteor at them (at least not right away). If someone has stated an idea they're aiming for in OOC, don't ruin it for no reason. Be fun to play with.

In addition to the normal rules in the PDF linked above, there a few rules to make online play work a little better and a few houserules.

-There's no turn order. Reserve a post when you start working on your turn and edit your actions into it. First come, first served, but don't reserve a post if you're not ready to finish it in a timely fashion.

-Players will not be rolling their own points. As GM, I'll roll points for everyone simultaneously at the beginning of each turn. That doesn't mean I'll necessarily be going first every turn, mind.

-If a player hasn't taken their turn two days after it begins, they're skipped, barring planned excuses. They can continue on the next turn, but if they continue to be absent they may be removed or replaced.

-Creating biomes like desert, forest, savannah, etc. will be done using the Shape Climate power, not Shape Land. Shape Land is for geological formations like mountains, rivers, craters, lakes, etc.

-There's no increased cost for created nonstandard races, except at GM discretion. Don't be OP. If you think your race might be OP, ask.

-The rules mention purifying or corrupting areas, but give no corresponding powers. We will be using Purify/Corrupt Area powers, at the same cost as Purify/Corrupt City.

Rules for editing the map:

-Please don't do anything that would make it difficult for other players to edit the map, or anything that would be difficult to erase. Gradients, especially, are a pain. When in doubt, don't do it if it can't be done in Paint.

-Please do not change the file format of the map. Leave it as a .png.

-When editing the map, please upload new maps to imgur.com - this avoids file compression and resizing, which make editing the map a pain.

-Please be consistent when editing the map. Use the same colors for the same things that other players are. Once someone makes an image for, say, a mountain or a mesa or whatever, use that same one. Use the Legend.

If you want to see an example of this system in action on a forum, check out the old topic or my first game. If you have any questions about the rules, let me know!

Map:

HVXwuOP.png

sY14va2.png

The black square is the stand-in for the 1" area specified in the rules. It's 100x100 pixels.

Turn Format

[size=5]Title [turn ##][/size]
[u]Summary[/u]
[b]Power Available[/b]: [##]
[b]Actions taken[/b]:[list]
[Action name] - [type, ##cost]
[Action name] - [type, ##cost]
[/list]
[b]Power Remaining[/b]: [##]
[b]Running Bonus[/b]: [##]
[u]Actions[/u]
[b][Action name][/b]
[Description of above action]
[Roleplaying/flavour notes, if required]
[b][Action name][/b]
[Description of above action]
[Roleplaying/flavour notes, if required]

I might be interested, but I can't guarantee any level of consistent involvement. This probably means I shouldn't play at all, but I can think of a scenario in which it might work. I could be the weak and lazy tribal god of an isolated and primitive people stuck on the smallest little island. They would naturally think of themselves as mighty and great, and suppose that the entire world were much like their own tiny patch (and not much bigger than it). Their occasional oblivious comments might be amusing.

If anyone has a more constructive use for the smallest island, I will happily cede the territory.

So, 4-5 people(including me) is pretty good. SoT, the rules above say that everyone has two days to make a post after the beginning of a new turn. If that's doable for you, please do stay and participate, but it's fine if you'd rather not too. If anyone else wants to join, there's still time, but I'll start the game probably tomorrow, so speak up quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Excalibur, a race's first city isn't free. It requires the use of a Command Race power like any other. You do have to place your race's homeland in a specific spot, but not with a city. However, Tridash has volunteered to donate you the points that would be necessary to make a city come his turn, so it's not a big deal.

(For the record, and it's not like this is stated anywhere in these rules and we don't have to do it if nobody else wants to, but in my first game a race's homeland was indicated by a little pixel art icon like here or here.)

I'll draw something up real quick. Sorry yo

EDIT: Turn's in, sorry for the delay everyone. I also went ahead and tidied up the legend, and I also put a couple pixel mapping resources up here (read: I got anal-retentive about anti-aliased fonts, and also threw in some icons that i can't remember the source of).

48ae4d43764b46d088baba7dcbf34302.png

Edited by sylae
butts!

Thank you very much for the resources and the cleaning up, Sy! It's really too bad about the ponies.

However, the same thing happened again. A "city" in this game is a specific mechanic, and you don't get the first city for free. The cute little plant dude I made doesn't signify a city or colony, it's just the general area where the Lotivinea live. I'll deduct the cost of a Command Race power from this turns' points.

• 2 weeks later...