Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Hey guys! After finishing my playthrough of the entire Geneforge saga, I decided to move on to do a Let's Play of Nethergate: Resurrection! Hopefully it won't take a whole year to complete this time, and hopefully people enjoy it just as much.

I'll be doing a Rome playthrough (As another LPer on YouTube is doing a Celtic playthrough) and hopefully you guys will be enjoying the videos. Daily updates are likely, and click the spoilers to view!

And be sure to give me feedback! Your comments sustain me and taste of delicious strawberries.

There are plenty of secret passages that you missed. This is the old way where you need to head bang into walls where ever there are empty spaces on your map. Some important things like Sylak keys hidden in these areas. Also that's where some monsters are hiding and waiting for you to turn your back on them.

So always search for hidden areas since that's where the best stuff is hidden away for the obsessive compulsive explorers. This also applies outside to encourage you to go every where since some things only happen if you are standing at the right spot.

It is possible to luck out and survive that drop, however there will eventually be a better way. Besides there may be monsters. Actually there are always monsters waiting for you especially when you are weak and injured. :)

Hidden passages. Slamming my head against a wall will probably help a bit with some frustration I had later. I admit, I know about them being hidden but I usually only look if it seems there's one there... I actually checked in that first room when a lizard showed up only to find all the walls solid. I also tend to check if there's something there, or if there's an obvious gap that's hiding a room. If there is no hint whatsoever, I tend not to look. I'll have to try a few places...

And I'm glad to have inspired you, Jera, I hope you have fun.

And now for the video, wherupon we come across one of the most famous/infamous creatures from Spiderweb Software.

Prepare your ears, for it is THE ATTACK OF THE GIFTS!!!!

Use Piercing Sight after you have finished a dungeon. You can save the game and then use up all your energy potions. Make a screen capture too. Then you can reload.

Some areas are accessible to one side, Roman or Celt, but not the other.

My Resurrection Template has all the maps too:

http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/Resurrection.zip

(It is a resource template not a scenario.)

You won't get all of the spells in the first four Circles.

Total Healing is never offered to Romans for starters. Nether spells don't work out in practice.

You can get some levels in Beast and Craft, via items and training, but there are only so many levels to go around.

If a certain NPC joins your party you can arrange things so that she gets Word of Recall.

You are being steered, by the design of the game, towards the Ruined Hall.

An idea might be to do the Celt playthrough first, that way you learn what the game is about. Either that or watch the videos made by the guy who is doing the Celt version.

At Vanarium check the spell access of whoever is willing to join you.

I switched the video to YouTube to play it there.

You are being steered, by the design of the game, towards the Ruined Hall.

Aye. I'm learning by now that this game has a very... HARSH method of "steering" you. "What's that? You want to explore? Then have some DEEEEEEEAAAAAAATTTTTHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Either way, onwards into the Ruined Hall.

Aye. I'm learning by now that this game has a very... HARSH method of "steering" you. "What's that? You want to explore? Then have some DEEEEEEEAAAAAAATTTTTHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

To be fair, whilst this might be true of the first 1/5 of the map (the demo area before the Ruined Hall), I'm pretty sure that once you're past that you should be able to explore anywhere, without facing too many problems.

Yeah, once you get to cross the sparkling bridge (post-Ruined Hall), the game effectively becomes more open-world. You'll still occasionally find enemies who are a little too tough and force you to come back later, but you do get a lot more freedom to wander and poke around.

A minor spoiler for the LP but...

To be fair, whilst this might be true of the first 1/5 of the map (the demo area before the Ruined Hall), I'm pretty sure that once you're past that you should be able to explore anywhere, without facing too many problems.

If your party always gets slaughtered like cattle at a certain place, the game is probably steering you elsewhere.

Yeah, once you get to cross the sparkling bridge (post-Ruined Hall), the game effectively becomes more open-world. You'll still occasionally find enemies who are a little too tough and force you to come back later, but you do get a lot more freedom to wander and poke around.

The first steps I took over the sparkling bridge into the non-demo world I proceeded to get slaughtered by two bears. Repeatedly. That taught me that the "steering" isn't always clear. That or my build sucked.

That said, here's the next episode. With a trap that could only be more obvious if it had big glowing neon signs.

Getting across that bridge to the NE of the Ruined Hall, my party was able to win the fight without losing anyone. Shielding was cast upon the first two PCs. We also had help, an NPC found in Vanarium.

Quicksilver Feet can be cast on a Druid so they cast two spells per round. Healing spells cost six times the spell points of Mild Healing spells but they do provide more healing. Darts of Ice can hit more than one enemy at once, they are most effective against badly wounded foes. These tactics also worked for the toll bridge Fomorians.

After completing a quest the NPC was able to access the Pass Portal spell, we had weak Tool Use skills so party was blocked by doors with a strength of 10 to 15. A lot of doors could not be opened as a consequence, but that is all over now.

Edited by Ishad Nha

At the start of the game the Celt party goes through the Goblin Pits, they loot everything and kill everyone. Days or weeks later their Roman counterparts go through the same place and everything is in top shape! Until the Romans loot and kill too.

Roman version is not so hard, if you know where to look for advantages, if you have read a walkthrough or played the game before.

Celts can start game with Spirit Ceremony, this is a very useful healing spell.

Well in fairness it is possible for the Celts to accomplish their goal in the Goblin Pits with only a handful of goblin casualties. One can assume that in the Roman version of the game that's what happened.

Edited by Jerakeen
Just because you or I might scour the place of life from top to bottom, doesn't mean that every hypothetical group of Celts would do the same.

If the Roman version of the Original Nethergate could be tough unless you knew where to go, that might explain why the original game did not do as well as Jeff hoped?

I admit I'm starting to feel like I might need to do a little rant about that considering the sheer amount of Death Walls and Pain I encounter in this episode.

Oh yes, and as a note for reference regarding the backlog I have, this episode (And the next 7) were filmed on May 10th, and I plan to film another 7 or 8 tomorrow and Sunday. Seems like a lot, I know, but at least I have a buffer if I end up missing a week for an emergency or something.

If the Roman version of the Original Nethergate could be tough unless you knew where to go, that might explain why the original game did not do as well as Jeff hoped?

The thing is, if you're playing to the Romans' strengths the game isn't all that much harder in comparison. Pile on armour, grab javelins and slings, and pick your battles carefully until you gain some more strength (I mean that's the case with the Celts, too, but having a couple healers makes the Celts a little more forgiving). I'd suggest sticking to the demo area (east of the Ruined Hall Bridge), clearing out both starter dungeons, and mopping up the fixed encounters there before heading west. The extra strength you get there will help you survive when you do go exploring. Also, I'd probably only have one spellcaster, and have them focus on war and health circles - I only use two spellcasters with Celts, and they're supposed to be better at magic. Having another character attacking is a good thing - shielding and battle rage are okay, but damage dealing is better. :p

Whenever I play, either with both Romans or Celts, I usually clear the starting area, and then deviate wildly from the path. I don't think I've ever crossed the bridge and headed to Vanarium straight away, which suggests that heading off the main road isn't as much a killer as is being shown in the LP. By the time you cross the sparkling bridge, a group of 6-8 Fomorians should be just about doable.

(Oh, and the quartermaster at Shadow Valley Fort can totally identify items for you)

Stick with a party line up that is right for you.

My party is currently in the start of Goagh-Nar. Two fights they have not tried are the (1) Fomorians and Skull and (2) the Britannian camp NE of the Faerie Bazaar.

Rear two PCs emphasize spell casting not combat, thus they have Hero of Old for tough combats.

Chessrook's party: Encumbrance is too high, more Endurance might be good too.

Word of Recall spell is interesting for a Roman party to have. (It is obtained by knowing the finer points of the Roman version.)

I was able to win all the fights that defeated Chessrook's party in the latest video. He may need a better line-up, better tactics or more experienced PCs.

Edited by Ishad Nha

I admit, I took two magic-users because A: I had no idea I was going to get one that was so much BETTER later, and B: I didn't want to pile all my magical eggs in one meaty basket. Once that basket gets dropped things can rapidly fall apart after all.

My playstyle has always been less specialized and more Jack-of-all-trades generalness. A bit of everything so I can always at least get by passably everywhere. Anti-magic field? I got a couple magic-users to deal with that. Strong warriors charging in to stab my healer? Got a couple warriors to protect him. Locked door? Got a lockpicker.

Also Javelins are heavy and have limited ammo and I HATE getting encumbered and am a notorious pack rat.

Either way, at least we've finally made it to Vanarium. WOO.

Tempting, but I'm sticking with my decisions. I didn't remake my party 4 episodes in to undo the choice of "Strong back" for Septimus, I'm sticking with my bad choices that left me with three magic-users in a Roman party. FOR THE SAKE OF THE LET'S PLAY, MY FAILURE SHALL LIVE ON AS MY STUBBORNESS SENDS ME TO SUCCESS!!!!

Anyway, here's the next episode where I actually SUCCEED in something from the previous areas I couldn't complete. No not that one. Yes, that one.

When my party cleared that bridge to the NE of the Ruined Hall, they were no more than level 10. Problem you are facing would not just be levels.

Getting across that bridge to the NE of the Ruined Hall is still tough. My party used spells like Battle Rage, Shielding and Quicksilver Feet, as well as an awful lot of Healing spells. Along with a lot of spell power. Quicksilver Feet can be cast on a Druid so they cast two spells per round. Healing spells cost six times the spell points of Mild Healing spells but they do provide more healing.

Second Hagfen quest

Avoiding that morally questionable quest to get the Selkie Chief's pelt, add the following to the t15Selkiehome.txt town script, immediately after beginstate INIT_STATE;:

reward_give(181);

This gives the party the item the hags seek, they get a really nice reward too. Serve those murderous hags right too.

There are hidden areas in this town too, it is not just a Selkie town.

Edited by Ishad Nha