A:EftP - Spells: Daze vs Slow

Daze works best against low level monsters then drops in effectiveness later in the game. It is great against swarms because your party can concentrate damage to kill the monsters one by one.

Slow works well through out the game since it reduces the chance of a monster attacking, but you can't predict if it will happen in a given round. The older games had it work every other round. Still it is helpful and against monsters that can cast haste it means their haste can be cancelled and make them spend time casting haste on themselves instead of attacking.

Daze works fine up to level 10 to 15, but against giants and other monsters that you encounter above level 15 it is useless.

The game AI seems to usually have monsters cast only haste if they are slowed. Back in the early First Avernum Trilogy with the wait command, you would have mages delay their actions until the end and then haste themselves if slowed and otherwise slow the enemy, especially demons, so they would miss a round.

• 7 months later...

What Jerakeen said. Daze is actually very useful throughout the entire game, depending on how you want to use it. I use Daze later in the game to ensnare large groups, especially in the many outdoor encounters with numerous foes. It is very effective at holding off swarms you know can only move one space the next turn, while your other PCs take care of business. Slow is unpredictable and I rarely use it. I like dealing with a sure thing / known quantity. Slow is most useful for dehasting a big nearby group of foes.