The Scenario Ranking Contest Has Begun!

Alcritas

If you don't already know, I'm 14, so I'm pretty much still under the control of my parents. So, my Mom says I can play Exile as long as I stay away from all magic, demons, or (for no logical reason to my knowledge) goblins.

So I'm pretty much restricted to working with no-magic scenarios on the scenario editor and playing them. I don't know of a *good* scenario that I could play like this.

Also, as you might have guessed, I have to use an all-fighter party, hence my last topic.

You poor guy. Let's see, scenarios with no magic, demons or goblins... if scenarios that have spellcasting monsters are counted, then there aren't many that fit in that category. The Election is one, and Johnny Favourite is another (though that last one would be going by the letter and not the spirit, so to speak).

Quote:
If you don't already know, I'm 14, so I'm pretty much still under the control of my parents. So, my Mom says I can play Exile as long as I stay away from all magic, demons, or (for no logical reason to my knowledge) goblins.
You have my deepest sympathy. My only restriction is to stay away from scenarios rated 'R' and 'Adult'.

EDIT: Was your mom joking? I mean, if she tells you to stay away from magic, demons, and goblins, she's pretty much telling you to stay away from the computer game.

I'm going to make a scenario just for you, ben.

Man, that's harsh!

I do think the fact that you can play Johnny Favourite is hilarious, though.

I'm thirteen and I'm not under the control of my parents at all. Probly cuz they're lefty hippies who don't believe in strict child control. :p

I voluntarily stayed away from 'R' rated scenarios for a long time. It may have had something to do with the fact that in Australia the 'R' rating is equivalent to America's NC-17. But once I'd played all the good PGs I tried a few out.

They aren't that bad, really. Well, some of them are - Johnny Favourite of course being right at the top of the pile. I left that one alone for years, but curiosity got the better of me. I regretted it. But the majority are much safer than that scary 'R' rating would make them seem. There's no PG-13 option, so it covers pretty much everything more extreme than Shrek. Alas, there's no certain way to tell till after you've played them.

Spears, as an example, is rated R but contains nothing worse than a custom graphic of a slith that's fallen on a sharp rock. And if you side with the Undine you won't see that at all.

Add to that the fact that the ratings are chosen by the designers - who, of course, have vastly different standards. Generally, an 'R' rated scenario by Stareye is safer than a 'PG' rated scenario by Terror's Martyr.

As for scenarios with magic and demons, I'd ask if your parents object to you reading the Bible? It's got witchcraft and demons and sex and lots of violence - some of it quite graphic.

Magic, Demons and Goblins... I sense a victim of fundamentalism... Didn't Omlette say he has trouble with his parents about these games for the same reason?

Oh, and by the way, would Priest spells count as magic? On second thought, they probably would. Heathen sects and all that.

-----

HEY! We could make another competition from this. Sort of like 'Don't Fix the Shark', only with restrictions regarding content! Like vegetarian meals for certain religious groups.

A scenario without intelligent non-humans. Or without swords or any weapons. Without any religious cults.

One that caters to the rules of Born-again Christions. Or Mormons. Or conservative Jews. Or Atheists. Or... the possibilities are endless. smile

Actually, thinking about it, your parents wouldn't like Shrek either - it has magic (this is a fair comparison - Blades magic is equally unrelated to actual witchcraft as fairy-story magic).

I'm a strong Christian, myself. I appreciate the concerns parents can have about the material that their children are exposed to. But I don't believe the 'magic' in Blades carries any moral implications - no more than 'the Force' in Star Wars or the Evil Witch Queen in Snow White.

Quote:
Originally written by ben4808:

So I'm pretty much restricted to working with no-magic scenarios on the scenario editor and playing them. I don't know of a *good* scenario that I could play like this.

Also, as you might have guessed, I have to use an all-fighter party, hence my last topic.
Just some question:

1. It's okay to use fighter, as they only use their swords to cut to pieces their enemies?
2. There can't be any demons and globlins, but it's okay to kill other humans?
3. Why do they let you play a game where, sooner or later, you'll have to use violence (combat) and killing?
4. Or were you just joking with us? smile

Sorry for the lateness of this post. I have to work until 3:30 on weekdays to make money for college, a car, an apartment, etc. And a new computer, which I should have less restrictions on. I'll answer your questions:

Quote:
Was your mom joking?
No, unfortunately.

Quote:
I'm going to make a scenario just for you, ben.

Thanks, if you find the time. wink

Quote:
As for scenarios with magic and demons, I'd ask if your parents object to you reading the Bible? It's got witchcraft and demons and sex and lots of violence - some of it quite graphic.
According to her, the Bible talks about these things being evil. She says it's when you play with these things that makes them bad.

Quote:
HEY! We could make another competition from this. Sort of like 'Don't Fix the Shark', only with restrictions regarding content!
See the topic "New scenario idea" to see the interest that generated. cool

Quote:
How exactly do they enforce this, anyway?
If she catches me using magic, etc., she'd probably make me get rid of the game entirely.

And now for Overwhelming's questions and some final remarks:

Quote:
1. It's okay to use fighter, as they only use their swords to cut to pieces their enemies?

2. There can't be any demons and globlins, but it's okay to kill other humans?

3. Why do they let you play a game where, sooner or later, you'll have to use violence (combat) and killing?

4. Or were you just joking with us?

1. She says violence is okay--it's part of life.

2. ...Ummm, I haven't really figured this out, either. I guess see #1.

3. Same reason as last two.

4. Read last post.

So far, it is okay for me to use alchemy and play scenarios whithout magical monsters as long as they don't cast anything. (so I can't fight them really)

She recently said my little brother could use "Scry Monster" since it does really do anything bad except for provide monster information. Personally, though, I would consider it a waste of skill points for just that one spell.

My dad, on the other hand, seems to not have much against Exile, in fact, when mom said she would leave this up to his decision, he let us do magic and stuff, and I beat the demo of E3. smile But now, :rolleyes: .

Any more question, or have I cleared this up well enough?

ben> Wound and Divine Thud hasten the monsters to their inevitable meeting with God. :p

Seriously, the only spells you absolutely need in BoE are Unlock and Move Mountains. Without the rest, things can get pretty frigging hard, but without those two, a lot of scenarios are outright impossible.

Oh, and I'll side with Creator's recommendation of Areni, there. I'd recommend NTH, but its system of invoking elemental spirits trapped in runes is probably closer to actual 'witchcraft' than the game magic of Exile.

---

Personally, if you're tied to sort of stuff, you should play Blades of Avernum instead - I can see an all-fighter party being much less frustrating there.

I'm just curious...

1) how the parents actually "know" which scenarios are "safe" - do they play them first themselves? The rating isn't much of a guarantee...

2) how they control the use of magic spells? - if you can use "scry monster", you can use all the others at this level - unless the child is given a pre-edited party [but even then, couldn't one be taught new spells?]

Anyway... I caught myself wishing for the "unlock" spell last time I was locked out of my house smile

Quote:
But you're destroying Demons and Evil Magic-users!
I've tried arguing that before---a few times. No result. At least I used to be able to fight magical monsters, and that's when I beat VoDT (with an all-fighter party, of course. But I can't now, and it'll take a fair measure of luck for that to change.

Quote:
Without the rest, things can get pretty frigging hard
So I've seen. smile

Quote:
1) how the parents actually "know" which scenarios are "safe" - do they play them first themselves? The rating isn't much of a guarantee...

2) how they control the use of magic spells? - if you can use "scry monster", you can use all the others at this level - unless the child is given a pre-edited party [but even then, couldn't one be taught new spells?]
1. They can count on me to be honest. I just play a scenario until something happens that's "bad," and then I immediately have to load up a save file or quit the scenario. Or course I might be able to sneak through a scenario, but...read the first sentence.

2. The only reason he wanted Scry Monster was so he could do the first assignment (by Prof. Wrexus) in Emulations, which actually was a lure into his office (and a lever that we couldn't pull because we didn't know Unlock. :p )
One of my brother is a fan of Exile while the other hates it. I can just heard him, "Mom, he's casting speeeeelllls!" :rolleyes:

I beg your pardon. My parents are actually good parents---better than some I know. frown

My mom just has her view on Exile; all parents have their own views on things. I'm actually they will cut down the restrictions when I'm older, but until then, I'll be glad for thier support and care.

These board are a good enough dose of Exile for me for a while. All I really can do is wait.

I got Exile III first, from a shareware collection CD that's included once a year with a computer magazine. I checked out the site pretty soon after that, but my sanity was too strong for me to comprehend anything that was going on at the boards at that time. :p

Think there was an "Around the Block in However Long it Takes" RP at the time. And there might have been an incarnation of Sliths vs. Nephilim, but I'm not sure.

Shall we turn this into a "How I found out about Spiderweb" topic? If so, here's my story:

I had no money and was searching on the Internet for shareware games for the Mac. I got SW right off, and I downloaded Avernum. This was '99 or '00, I think, whatever would be right after A1 was first released. Then I played A1, waited around for A2, tried to play E3 because I couldn't stand waiting for A3, found the graphics too old and outdated and the whole system too unfamiliar, and ended up waiting around for A3 anyway.

In early '01 (I think) I briefly explored BoE, which is the reason that NK0P exists. I couldn't get into it because I couldn't beat a single scenario (my fault for trying Doom Moon II first, probably :p ). These were the dark days between the collapse of Malkeera and the advent of these boards, as far as I can tell, because I posted over at the Lyceum asking for beta testers for NK0P -- although it was so long ago that I don't think you can find this message anymore, which is sad, because I have looked. (Djur and Flamefiend were my beta testers, which I find hilarious, for some reason. As far as I can tell, Flamefiend hasn't beta tested anything since. :p )

Eventually, after failing to beat several more scenarios, including Redemption and (sadly) Riddle of the Spheres, I quit and left it behind for a while. I kept playing the new games, GF1 and GF2 as they came out, and then on one fateful day in February '04 (the 28th), I decided to register an account to get involved in a historical discussion (my first post! Check it out!) and haven't managed to leave since then.

YAY4LIFESTORY!

My sister played E3 before I did. I played her copy (IF YOU TOUCH ANY OF MY SAVE FILES, I'LL DECAPITATE YOU) in around 2000. I found it too hard (I was nine at the time), waited around for a while, my only involvement with the computer being bouts of compulsive three-hour tetris-playing at 2 AM, messing around in Paint, and school projects.

Then came summer, 2002. We'd just moved to a new city and I didn't know anybody, so I went to the computer for solace. I found my sister's games again, played my way through Nethergate, Cythera, and Myst, and started writing stuff on the computer. It was a circular effect: my obsession with the computer kept my no-friends status. :p

Around November, I discovered E3 again, and posted on the forum for the FIRSTEST TIME!

I made about 600 posts, left, and returned 5 months later as you see me. HI EVERYBODY

Now, ben, last questions before I make my scenario:

• Is it okay to mention the one-time existence of magic, or is that a no-no?
  • How about superstitions? Religion?
  • Could I give things magical effects if I explained them scientifically?

EDIT: Also, Gizmo, you have a new private message. smile

Okay, I'll give you my full story. We bought that CD, "1000 Best Games," from Wal-mart thinking it was the greatest thing we ever heard of. As it turned out, though, a third of the games didn't work, half of the rest were just no fun, and half of the remaining were the only ones worth a playaround. The few that were actually fun included E3 and the old version of E2, which I barely played because I could hardly see anything. wink

E3, however, was a hit. I played through once and beat the slimes, I believe, and then quit for a while. Then I played through again and got stuck in the Filth Factory and quit for a while. Then I played through again and beat the whole demo except for the Orb and Tower of Magi, simply because I accidently joined the Anama and saved when I meant to push "save as."

Then, when we finally got the Internet, I logged on to SW and downloaded BoE (now was when I was starting to get restrictions) and beat VoDT with my all-fighter party. And BoE is what I have now.

Rosycat:

1. Yes, that should be okay.

2. Fine, as long as it's not too anti-Christian.

3. Wands, I don't think so. Potions, flaming weapons, poison, and special rings etc. shoud be good.

I think in Trecherous Waters they have an interesting item called the Whetting Stone that blesses your whole party by 'sharpening all your blades'. And it shouldn't be too hard to substitute things like granades for firestorm scrolls and laser guns for Wands of Death. Just make a scientific item for whatever effect you want. Think futuristic.

Gizmo-That's a great idea! I just asked her about it and she said it would be fine to have things such as grenades and laser guns, as long as they aren't actually referred to as being magical. So scrolls and wands are still out because in real life, they can't produce magical effects.

AdoS-Yep, magic is evil because if you play around with it, it allows Satan to establish a foothold, according to her, so...I don't know how much luck you'd have talking to her.

I could try my "God as portrayed in the Bible is as evil as Hitler" argument. I put a lot of thought into it. Even if it doesn't work, it's still fun to see people freak out about it. But really, it is a perfectly logical argument.

Unfortunately, the bulk of the argument is against the idea that nonbelievers go to Hell, rather than the idea that magic is evil. But I could try anyway.

I think it's like in early roleplay posts by Zephyr. You desperately need a sword to defeat the dragon? No problem, there it is, directly in front of you.

You desperately need another woman to marry the guy to so the story makes sense? No problem, there she is.

There's a reason why power-gaming in roleplays is also called 'god-playing', you know...