Ornk Playthrough Geneforge 1

To ensure that your triumphant victories are suitably delicious.

That was totally accidental...but way too awesome. This may be the one time I'm GLAD I have autocorrect. :)

Anyway, I managed to get the Entry Baton from the Western Workshop. There really are a lot of areas where you constantly get damaged in this game--you really notice when you have to corral 7 slow moving creations through them in combat mode. This now gives me everything I need to reach Trajkov. My plan is to fight my way to Trajkov, double back and kill Goettsch and steal his gloves, then kill Trajkov and use the Geneforge (and destroy it).

One thing of note: I just got the Transference Robe, which gives -2 to Strength, Dexterity, and Endurance, in exchange for +2 to Strength, Dexterity, and Endurance of creations. Seems like a pretty good deal, but I've noticed something. If I'm not wearing the Transference Robe when I MAKE the Ornks, they don't get extra health from the Endurance bonus. Their stats go up when I wear the robe, but their max health doesn't increase. This is probably something that ought to be patched.

Anyway, this leaves me with a problem. Normally I would wear the Shaper's Robe before creating the Ornks for the extra point of Battle Shaping (and thus the extra point to each base stat of the Ornks). My plan was to don the Transference Robe afterwards, thus giving +3 to every stat except Intelligence. But, it looks like doing so means that I forgo the Endurance bonus from the Transference Robe (aside possibly from the poison resistance Endurance gives).

My thinking is that it's still better to wear the Shaper Robe first and then put on the Transference Robe, rather than just wearing the Transference Robe while creating. If I wear the Shaper Robe, essentially I get STR +3, DEX +3 and END +1, whereas just the transference robe gives me STR +2, DEX +2, and END +2–with the Shaper Robe, I get 1 extra skill point, plus I probably still get the non-health benefits of high endurance.

(I'm excluding the bonus to intelligence the Shaper Robe would give the Ornks as it is essentially an irrelevant stat)

I'll let you how the Ornk VS Sholai fights go.

I have made it through The Vats, and have begun attacking The Central Labs. The Sholai mages manage to take 3 hits from the Ornks (but just barely--sometimes 2) and have managed to be pretty manageable. Weirdly, the Ornks actually do occasionally manage to resist being charmed, and slow walking means that the ones that do get charmed rarely manage to reach anything before it wears off. Being hasted and blessed is again mandatory–really just hasting is key, as they need to be able to catch missile fighters.

Also, I should note that I found a way to fix the glitch with the Transference Robe. After putting on the robe, if you look at the stat screen of each creation and press the checkmark, their maximum health will recalculate to the proper value. So now I'm getting the full value of both the Shaper Robe and Transference Robe, essentially giving 3 extra levels to every Ornk!

I have made my way through the Central Labs, and cleared Quarters. I gotta say, there are few things more satisfying than watching an army of Sholai run up against a bunch of Ornks and just watching the Ornk tide wash over them. That alone makes this playthrough worthwhile.

I am not going to go straight to The Geneforge, as I want to use it, so I want to have the gloves with me. To that end, I went ahead and fought Goettsch. I made the unprecedented choice of actually telling him that I was going to kill him, so I didn't even get a free round. But, thanks in large part to batch of shielding spores I saved, I managed to kill him. The only really difficult thing was positioning my Shaper such that the Cryodrayks would not gang up on him.

Escaping the temple was...well...not easy. Ultimately I had to sacrifice my entire Ornk army to do it, just leaving them to distract the guards while I ran away. But now that I've done that, I should be able to clear out the temple in a few attacks, then get the gloves, and after that it's on to Trajkov.

And it came to pass in those days that the Shepherd entered the Great Temple. And he sent his Flock upon the guardians of the Temple, and behold, they became as food for the Flock.

And the Shepherd entered the great chamber, and despoiled the Great Temple of its Gloves. Both Gloves did he take, so that the prophecy might be fulfilled, that the world might know the glory of the Flock.

And the Shepherd came upon the Pool of Ornk, that he might lay his hands upon it, and fulfill the prophecy. But the Pool was held by the Man From The Sea. Now the Man From The Sea desired to profaneth the Pool with his unclean hands, and said unto the Shepherd: "Loveth not the Flock, for behold, I shall giveth unto you the power of Other Creations. Worship me, yea, and aideth me, and your power shall be great, and not meek." For the Man From The Sea comprehendeth not the glory of the Flock.

Now the Shepherd was subtle, more subtle than the Man From The Sea. And he said unto him: "Behold, in this hour thou shalt see a power unlike that of any Other, and with my aid, that power shalt touch thee. But the Other Creations must leave, for the Gloves require it." And the Man From The Sea saw the Gloves, and thus saw not; by his own hand were the Other Creations banished from the Pool.

And the Shepherd said: "Now shalt thou become one of the Flock" and the Flock came upon the Man From The Sea. But the man defied the Flock, and loved not the Flock, and behold, he was subdued. Thus did the Pool pass into the hands of the Shepherd.

Then the Shepherd laid his hands upon the Pool, and became Great. By the power of the Pool was the Flock made anew; and behold, its power exceeded even that of the Great Shepherd. Thus was the prophecy fulfilled: that the world might know the glory of the Flock, and love it.

And the Flock came upon the the Awakened, and the Awakened loved the flock; thus were the Awakened spared. And the Flock came upon the Obeyers, and the Obeyers grumbled against the Flock saying: "Who is like unto the Great Shepherd? Who is able to make war against him? Therefore, let us kill the Great Shepherd, that the world might not know the glory of the Flock": thus were the Obeyers made as food unto the Flock. And the Flock came upon the Takers, and the Takers hated the flock: thus were the Takers delivered unto the Flock.

And the Flock and the Great Shepherd entered the Docks. And the Great Shepherd said unto Flock: "I am the Great Shepherd, who has delivered you out of the land of Sucia. And I shall make of thee a great nation, and deliver thee unto a Promised Land, a land flowing with grain and grass. And you shalt be a light unto the nations, that the world might know the glory of the Flock: that the Great Shepherd so loved the Ornk, that he defeated the Game with the power of the Ornk alone, so the world might love the Flock, and follow it unto the end of days." Thus was the prophecy fulfilled.

Thanks for the support guys! It was a hell of a ride.

And it came to pass in those days that the Shepherd entered the Great Temple. And he sent his Flock upon the guardians of the Temple, and behold, they became as food for the Flock.

And the Shepherd entered the great chamber, and despoiled the Great Temple of its Gloves. Both Gloves did he take, so that the prophecy might be fulfilled, that the world might know the glory of the Flock.

And the Shepherd came upon the Pool of Ornk, that he might lay his hands upon it, and fulfill the prophecy. But the Pool was held by the Man From The Sea. Now the Man From The Sea desired to profaneth the Pool with his unclean hands, and said unto the Shepherd: "Loveth not the Flock, for behold, I shall giveth unto you the power of Other Creations. Worship me, yea, and aideth me, and your power shall be great, and not meek." For the Man From The Sea comprehendeth not the glory of the Flock.

Now the Shepherd was subtle, more subtle than the Man From The Sea. And he said unto him: "Behold, in this hour thou shalt see a power unlike that of any Other, and with my aid, that power shalt touch thee. But the Other Creations must leave, for the Gloves require it." And the Man From The Sea saw the Gloves, and thus saw not; by his own hand were the Other Creations banished from the Pool.

And the Shepherd said: "Now shalt thou become one of the Flock" and the Flock came upon the Man From The Sea. But the man defied the Flock, and loved not the Flock, and behold, he was subdued. Thus did the Pool pass into the hands of the Shepherd.

Then the Shepherd laid his hands upon the Pool, and became Great. By the power of the Pool was the Flock made anew; and behold, its power exceeded even that of the Great Shepherd. Thus was the prophecy fulfilled: that the world might know the glory of the Flock, and love it.

And the Flock came upon the the Awakened, and the Awakened loved the flock; thus were the Awakened spared. And the Flock came upon the Obeyers, and the Obeyers grumbled against the Flock saying: "Who is like unto the Great Shepherd? Who is able to make war against him? Therefore, let us kill the Great Shepherd, that the world might not know the glory of the Flock": thus were the Obeyers made as food unto the Flock. And the Flock came upon the Takers, and the Takers hated the flock: thus were the Takers delivered unto the Flock.

And the Flock and the Great Shepherd entered the Docks. And the Great Shepherd said unto Flock: "I am the Great Shepherd, who has delivered you out of the land of Sucia. And I shall make of thee a great nation, and deliver thee unto a Promised Land, a land flowing with grain and grass. And you shalt be a light unto the nations, that the world might know the glory of the Flock: that the Great Shepherd so loved the Ornk, that he defeated the Game with the power of the Ornk alone, so the world might love the Flock, and follow it unto the end of days." Thus was the prophecy fulfilled.

Thanks for the support guys! It was a hell of a ride.

This whole thread is amazing.

I'll actually have to consider ornks as my melee grunts in my playthrough. I'm constantly having to replace them, anyway, so they may as well be numerous and cheap.

• 4 months later...