a6 quest xp rewards

Omnislash

hi,

after playing eftp year or two back I've come to an idea of trying avernum 6 to get a similar experience. there's actually a lot of annoying differences. I can get over most of them, however. but there's one I find very hard to ignore. the quest xp rewards seems literally pathetic. I was used to eftp quest xp rewards where it was normal to get half a level after finishing quest (especially near beginning). now I got measly ~100xp for finishing crypt wight quest, which is somewhere aroung 10% of level at level 6 or 7. I got no motivation for questing when there's practically zero xp reward for finishing quest

will this get better later on or should I just stop playing and hope that the new avernum remake will be closer to eftp in this aspect?

Quest experience decreases when your level is above the expected level for all the Second Trilogy games. However it's still better than the meager experience for killing monsters.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. The fluffy turtles need to be fed. :)

Have you tried the Avadon series? It's a wildly different style of storytelling, but the mechanics are the closest to AEFTP of any other Spiderweb game.

If that doesn't suit, and could go all the way back to A2. The skill system is totally different and the engine is antiquated, but I seem to remember getting a satisfactory amount of quest xp. The really annoying part was finding someplace to train.

thanks guys

Quest experience decreases when your level is above the expected level for all the Second Trilogy games.

I doubt that I was above the expected level with crypt wight and my 5/6 level

However it's still better than the meager experience for killing monsters.

so what is the main source of xp in avernum 6? at the end of eftp I was somewhere around 40 level. I can't imagine getting anywhere near in a6 - is that even real?

Have you tried the Avadon series? It's a wildly different style of storytelling, but the mechanics are the closest to AEFTP of any other Spiderweb game.

I tried but as you said the storytelling and the setting really are different and actually not that much interesting to me.. and to tell you the truth it seemed a little bit oversimplified to me

If that doesn't suit, and could go all the way back to A2. The skill system is totally different and the engine is antiquated, but I seem to remember getting a satisfactory amount of quest xp. The really annoying part was finding someplace to train.

I tried that too as from the story point of view (I expect it's loose continuation of eftp events) it allures me most. however it's really ancient thing graphics/gameplay-wise. nevertheless I will probably try it again if you say side quest xp rewards are adequate

so what is the main source of xp in avernum 6? at the end of eftp I was somewhere around 40 level. I can't imagine getting anywhere near in a6 - is that even real?

Avernum 6 is a huge game with a lot of quests. All those little bits of combat and quest XP add up: an endgame level close to 40 is quite reasonable.

I've never paid much attention to the XP you get for killing the monsters on the quest vs. telling the relevant Bob that you've completed the quest, because it seems as though they are completely fungible. You could get no XP for killing the monsters and then gain a bunch of levels for completing the quest. You could get tons of XP for killing the monsters and no XP for completing the quest. You could get some share of each. No matter what, though, you'll be gaining levels.

And there are a lot of levels to be had. I think that every recent Spidweb game makes it likely that you will get to at least level 30 at the end. 30 is the cap in Avadon 1 and 2, but in the later Geneforges, I ended up close to or above level 40, and in Avernum 6, one of my characters was over level 40.

I've never paid much attention to the XP you get for killing the monsters on the quest vs. telling the relevant Bob that you've completed the quest, because it seems as though they are completely fungible. You could get no XP for killing the monsters and then gain a bunch of levels for completing the quest. You could get tons of XP for killing the monsters and no XP for completing the quest. You could get some share of each. No matter what, though, you'll be gaining levels.

Well, they're only interchangeable if you're fighting all monsters on quests and only monsters on quests. If you ignore monsters whenever possible and beeline for the boss of an area, and/or grind a whole lot of random monsters, then the distinction between combat XP and quest XP starts to become important.

Well, they're only interchangeable if you're fighting all monsters on quests and only monsters on quests. If you ignore monsters whenever possible and beeline for the boss of an area, and/or grind a whole lot of random monsters, then the distinction between combat XP and quest XP starts to become important.

I get the distinction regarding beelining for the question completion task (killing a boss, fetching an item), but not the other one. It seems to me that if you kill all the monsters in front of you — regardless of whether they're quest monsters or not — then it doesn't matter where your experience is coming from. That method will get you maximal XP regardless of the source of the XP.

Well, short of grinding by killing respawns, but is that relevant in any Spiderweb game?

Well, short of grinding by killing respawns, but is that relevant in any Spiderweb game?

That was what I was referring to, and it was potentially relevant back in the Exile and original Avernum trilogy if you wanted to level up a bit. In more recent games, admittedly, it's not usually a major factor (I mean, you can do it in A6, but...)

A:EftP has outdoor random encounters, so you can somewhat feasibly grind levels in that game too, at least until everything stops giving more than a trickle of experience.