Avernum 4 vs. first trilogy - differences?

Masayoshi

I'm posting this here because I recently completed Avernum 3 and don't want to be spoiled at all on the second Avernum trilogy, and even the subject headings in the 2nd trilogy forum seem spoilerish!

What are the main gameplay differences between Avernum 4 and the first trilogy? I'm about to start a new game, but I'd like to know if there are any significant differences in how things work before putting a party together.

The biggest difference is that the Second Avernum trilogy has a continuous world where you go directly from town to world and back so monsters can follow you inside a town. This makes the world smaller when you reach the Eastern Gallery and find Silvar, Fort Duvno, and Cotra are steps apart.

Magic spells no longer gain extra or different effects as you gain levels in that spell. A spell just becomes slightly more powerful so it doesn't pay to buy extra levels.

The wait command is no longer there.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Can't you tell from the way we post? :)

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Is there any place where the mechanics are spelled out? I'm confused, for instance, by exactly how much Dexterity and Strength contribute to hit % and damage. In A3, Strength + Weapon Skill were the same in terms of damage, adding another "die roll". Is that the case in A4?

And how much does Intelligence, Mage/Priest Spells, Spellcraft, and Spell Level increase power of spells? Is each point the same, or do some influence the power more than others? I've looked at the GameFaqs (Matt P and Relle), but they don't seem to really know the underlying mechanics too well either.

This might be what you're looking for:

http://spiderwebforu...skills-esp-luck

Thanks ξ & Jerakeen! Amusingly enough, much of the info about luck in that link seem to be later contradicted here:

http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/6820-queer-parry-results/

Basically, luck doesn't seem to factor into real Armor or resistances at all, despite the numbers going up in the stat screen. I assume that this is the latest info on that subject and can be trusted?

Basically, luck doesn't seem to factor into real Armor or resistances at all, despite the numbers going up in the stat screen. I assume that this is the latest info on that subject and can be trusted?

As far as I know, yes. Strategy Central has all the analyses that people have done on Avernum 4.

Also, because this is an Avernum 4 topic, I'll eventually move it into the appropriate forum, but perhaps not immediately, per the OP's wishes.

EDIT: Now moved (on Dec. 7).

Another question, if people don't mind. I saw on one of the Strategy Central posts that training Sharpshooter is unlocked with 6 Dexterity and 8 Bows or Thrown. My Nephil has 7 Dex (naked) and 12 Bows, but still can't train in Sharpshooter. He has some Sharpshooter from the Deadeye trait, but can't train it at all. Anyone know what the real scoop is?

• 2 weeks later...

Nephilim get bonus points in Bows as they level up, and those bonus points don't count toward Sharpshooter: you have to have actually bought 8 point in Bows with skill points.

Thanks Lilith! It's weird that Vogel seemed to have gone to some amount of trouble in Avernum 4 to try to make stats more transparent, but in the end it's just as confusing as in the first 3 games!

Thanks Lilith! It's weird that Vogel seemed to have gone to some amount of trouble in Avernum 4 to try to make stats more transparent, but in the end it's just as confusing as in the first 3 games!

that's why in Avadons and AEFTP skilltrees are bit clearer (still confusing if for example item gives + to some ability).